The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An App for FOH/PA/Monitor Control? Consoles
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

An App for FOH/PA/Monitor Control?

Would it be possible (or is it already) to control a FOH or monitor mix remotely from a cell phone or tablet using an App?

I'm thinking this would be most beneficial for solo acts or small groups who care about their sound when playing in scenarioss where a dedicated sound man isn't an option.

Let's say you have a setup like MOTU's CueMix or an equivalent where using a computer you can route your inputs and FX to various mixes (eg however many individual monitor mixes you need for the musicians, plus a separate mix for the audience). Since there's no sound man, you (or the band member who responsible for sound) go into the audience space, check how things sound, and using your mobile phone or tablet, remotely control your mix to come up with a FOH/PA mix that sounds good. A solo act would probably have to use a pre-recorded performance of them in order to approximate what they would sound like coming out of the FOH/PA but maybe that's beside the point.

The benefit from such a system, assuming you or the responsible band member knows something about what good PA mix is instead of just turning their part(s) up, would benefit from the next-best thing to a dedicated professional sound man without being exposed to the risks of relying on untrained ears or any of the other disasters that happen when non-audio/music folk attempt to use that type of equipment.

I'd love your feedback on such a system. Does it already exist? How can we make it better? How does one even go about getting one of these programs created if you're like me and have ideas but no advanced knowledge of programming?

Thanks!
Colin
Old 16th September 2011

Yeah, we use one at the Zurich Opera House on an ipad. Its specific to our desk, a Lawo. It's funny, there's a half million dollar console, but its more fun to use the ipad. heh

But at a guess, it should be at least possible on any desk that can accept some type of control signal. I think our Yamaha monitor mixer could do it too, as at the moment we can control that wirelessly from a laptop.

Matt
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Stereoscope for most of the Yamaha desks. Works well on my 01V96 and DM1000 v2.

Products

D.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Cool. Glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to think this would be a good idea. Does anybody know if the Stereokrauts software works with MOTU CueMix (I don't own any of the mixers listed as compatible), or does it only control hardware mixers? How might I program it to work with CueMix? Sorry, I'm not very experienced with software programming.

In the event that it can not, does anybody know who to ask about developing an Android application that could handle this? And would I need access to the Cue Mix source code, or just some way to come up with a script (?) that can interact with it? This is all new to me, but I appreciate the valuable advice you've offered so far!
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

One other idea: instead of a program that specifically works with CueMix or its equivalents, would an app that allows remote access of a computer work? And if so, does anybody know of such an app on the Android platform that can control a MacBook Pro (preferably for little money or better yet free?)

No need to reinvent the wheel if there's already an affordable hovercraft/jet-pack nearby!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is also AC7 Core for iPhone and iPad. It works with a lot of DAWs (even Reaper) so it may work with CueMix.

Saitara Software

D.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Amongst others the Allen & Heath iLive consoles also have an app for iPad control ..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search