The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new guy with a mobile recorder - looking for tips Condenser Microphones
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

new guy with a mobile recorder - looking for tips

hello everybody!

i am memorire from germany and i am totally new to audio stuff and this is my first post here.

i kind of slid into it by buying an olympus LS-5 (basically a stripped down LS-11) to record my college lectures. after reading some things about it i realized that i can use it for far more things than that:

- record concerts outdoors and in bars
- record ambient sounds
- record for films
- etc.

it can do some of the things out of the box and some probably not so good.

so i decided to go first with recording local bands in their rehearsal environment and in small clubs and bars, but also try to be the sound guy on small independent movie sets.

if i continue liking it i am planning on buying more serious stuff to record demos and albums (probably all of it low end - zoom r16 or something like that).

So my question is - given my goals what should i get next? i own absolutely no other audio gear, cables etc.

i have a small tripod for the recorder and the recorder itself.

i did start reading about recording, gear, concepts etc. but it is a really vast field for the uninitiated, but i have some basic knowledge by now.

all serious suggestions are appreciated!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Suggestion:

A lot more research, here and elsewhere. Go to some trade shows, dealers etc. ask questions, get your hands on the gear, maybe rent some of the big things before you buy, if you can. A forum like this can help with specific questions, but you need some general knowledge and experience
to formulate specific questions. There are an infinite number of ways to skin this cat.

phil p
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

hey phil,

thanks a lot for the suggestions.

on knowledge i can work by myself, that is being taken cared of. unfortunatly its the experience that i am lacking, this is why i asked here.

but in order to gather the experience i need at least some basic stuff to be able to do so. i guess the reall basic things i can do only with the recorder but i am interested in what to get next in order to be able to do more. i want to grow with my equipment so basically i am not looking on dropping lots of money to buy everything at once but rather buy quality at reasonable prices. i am not after the best gear but if i drop money i would like it to have the best bang for buck value in that segment. since i am a student i cant afford to buy that much or often either.

my own inclination is to get a mic like sehnheiser mke 400 or a rode ntg-2. or maybe save a bit longer and get k6 with m66.

would the preamps in the ls-5 be sufficient for them? and is this a good idea anyway? maybe some other hardware would be more important at this point?
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

140 views and only one answer? come on guys i am sure you can help me a little here.

another thing i am thinking about right now is Church Audio CA-11 with the preamp. that should be great for music shows but will they also work for voice recording for movies? does anyone have them and recorded sound for movies with them?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorire View Post
but in order to gather the experience i need at least some basic stuff to be able to do so. i guess the reall basic things i can do only with the recorder but i am interested in what to get next in order to be able to do more.

First thing I'd do is use what you have to make the best recordings you can. Mic placement trumps pretty much everything, so get good at figuring out how to place the mics (or the recorder with built-in mics) you have. Unless you are restricted where you can put the mics (and you often are, which affects what gear you need) you should be able to get a <reasonable> recording of just about anything with a typical hand-held recorder. The critical piece is where you put it. If the results are awful, it's probably not the gear.

Get a book like "The New Stereo Soundbook" and study the hell out of it.

For some things, you may need specific pieces of gear, such as a recorder with time code, or shotugn mics, or lapel mics etc. if you are doing sound for film, etc. Or a splitter if you are recording in clubs with live sound. Maybe you don't need those things even if you are.

For me, I listened to recordings I thought were well-made, then compared them to mine and tried to figure out where mine fell short. Most of my gear decisions came from that. Otherwise, it was just more practical needs like mic stands, cables, etc.
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

leddy,

thank you very much for your advice!

I made some recordings now (bands, classes at the university - all with internal mics) and am thinking of hooking up external mics to the recorder now, for more flexibility.

The internal mics are pretty good btw to record live bands in bars, pubs etc.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear
Good pair of cans, so you can analyse your problems.
A mike stand, a Rycote shock mount and Fluffy windscreen.
Possibly a short pole for hand held use.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

Record everything you can: it is a good way to learn. It will raise questions you will find answers to on this board. Most questions have been asked and answered already, use the search feature. Get that book suggested and "study the hell out of it." Just hope and pray that this does not become fun for you. If it does you are going to be spending money, but you will have a lot of fun. There is a slim chance you could wind up working in the field, too.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search