The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell M296 vs. Josephson 617/mk221 Condenser Microphones
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Gefell M296 vs. Josephson 617/mk221

Greetings.

Has anyone had the opportunity to hear these side-by-side? Preferences? Differences? Likes and dislikes?

TIA,
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

In this test performed by the Formation Supérieure pour les Métiers du Son, a French high school associated to Conservatoire Nationale de Musique de Paris, where you can listen to the Josephson, there was another set including the Gefell M296 on the same piano but with another piece.

According to the presentation given for this test, the DPA 4006 should be present in both sets, which would give an indirect way for comparing mics from both sets. But there was not any 4006 file for this second set in what I downloaded from here. However there was a file named MK2H, which might be the misnamed 4006 track or a recording made by means of Schoeps MK2H, not mentioned in the presentation, or something else.
Here attached the M296 track and this mysterious track, which is the one that I like best in this second test including also Mojave, Rode, Oktava, Audix and Charter Oak mics.

I am also interested in the Josephson but I guess that the new Gefell M221, with the same capsule and Gefell electronics, delivered with two diffraction spheres, might be a better choice.
Attached Files

4006 ou Schoeps MK2H.wav (3.72 MB, 1012 views)

Microtech-Gefell M296.wav (3.81 MB, 1117 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search