The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any advice for a wireless mixer to speaker system?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Any advice for a wireless mixer to speaker system?

Hi to all,

I was hoping someone could help me find what I'm looking for.
I play in a small jazz band, and would like to set up a couple of speakers on the other side of the big dinner rooms we usually play in.( We mostly do dinner music for weddings kind of thing).
I've got a couple of cheap powered speakers and would like to find an el cheapo wireless way of sending a mono signal from the mixing console to the 2 speakers.

There seems to be cheap home hifi solutions for this, but I'm not sure if they would be reliable.
Cheers, Al.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
There are no cheapo radio solutions that are reliable.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Define cheap.

Regardless, I am interested in what solutions people could suggest.
// Gunnar
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

I know some folks who have had decent luck with this product. Im sure its not the most robust way of doing it, but it sure gets the job done and doesnt suck.

Phonic WM SYS3 863 Wireless Mono Speaker Kit (for Active Speakers) | Full Compass
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree that there are no cheap solutions that are also reliable and well-built. The cheapest high reliability would be to string a couple of 100' XLR cables (which are usable in other situations as well) along the floor mouldings and gaff tape them to the floor across doorways.

For wireless convenience, I wouldn't be comfortable with less than a Sennheiser EW 100 system with the plug-on transmitter. That's about $800 at a minimum, but would be reliable and reasonably robust.

As my Dad used to say... "Cheap, reliable, robust... Pick two."

OK. So he didn't say that, exactly. But he pounded the principle well and truly into my brain. His exact words were: "Cheap, fast, good... Pick two."

YM will likely not V. But I wish you luck in your quest.

HB
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

A Sennheiser Ew 172 system MAPs at $499. Not sure where you got the 800 minimum. Just need an Xlr cable and an XLR to 1/8" TRS cable, and youre good to go.

EDIT whoops, didnt see that you said plug-on transmitter. you Could buy the transmitter and receiver separately and leave out the bodypack transmitter and save $70.

Last edited by dpalasini; 15th September 2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: missed detail in last post
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah... I figured the $400 I paid for the basic EW100 system (with a body pack and a lav) and added the $400 I spent on the first plug-on I bought (a 500-series with phantom)... My mistake.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 15th September 2011
My experience is the plastic ones drop out and have little to no vocal tone; the metallic ones cost way more but have decent tone.

In a crowded room, bodies absorb the signal so dependable distances are shorter than what the box says.

Make sure the XLR/TRS cable from the mixer outtie to the transmitter innie has a line-level to mic-level resistor inside, otherwise gain will be overloaded before you begin. If the Txmitter expects line-level, then no problem. You can use a Shure A15LA for this. Check the +4/-10dB pads on the mixer, too.

Direct line-of-sight seems to work best; thru-doorways/walls works most of the time until the Bride's father's speech. Have the 100ft mic cable ready, always, but remember the remote speaker's power might be on a different 120vac circuit so have a way to lift the audio ground.

Good luck and it will only be perfect first time out, if you drive your neighbors nuts, testing it from your garage to the wood shed, first.
WalterT
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I use a Shure body-pack wireless mic system. I use the guitar-cable adapter to connect the output of my mixer into the body-pack transmitter. Then connect the output of the receiver to the input of the amplifier.

You need to get the antennas above the crowd. Sometimes I put the transmitter up on top of a tall mic stand. I put the receiver on top of one of the speakers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search