The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nagra IV-S
Old 14th September 2011
Nagra IV-S

I've been giving a lot of thought to purchasing one of these units. possibly to do location recording but mostly for use in a small personal studio set up. Anyone have any good recommendation about where I might look besides eBay or even here. thanks
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
I've been giving a lot of thought to purchasing one of these units. possibly to do location recording but mostly for use in a small personal studio set up. Anyone have any good recommendation about where I might look besides eBay or even here. thanks
Trew Audio consignment page.

phil p
Old 14th September 2011
thanks Phil I'll check it out
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of analog Nagra traffic lately.

Wow, this could all spell the resurgence of Nagra analog machines in the music recording business. Good thing that they are are all built so that they can be used for 100 years. Too bad I sold mine years ago

D.
Old 16th September 2011
I'm definitely not trying to start nagra up again. Just trying to find out some information about the machines. I've read a bit here.

I know of one artist that I like quite a lot that uses one for the tape aspect and for some tracking on certain synths and guitars before running everything back into Logic.

I just bought the sony PCM-d50 with a proper windscreen. I think carrying that around with me for capturing sound is a better space device and I've really liked some of the ambient noise, guitar, and vocal things I've heard with it.

I actually wasn't considering the nagra for location stuff so much but because its size and mobility makes it work in a 9x9 studio that is packed full tight.

Anyway if anyone is thinking of selling please contact me. I'd be interested.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

They would make a lovely mix-down deck for those interested in analog-style studio recording.

phil p
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing like analog tape saturation for a nice fat sound. Nothing digital comes close to the sound of gently over-modulated magnetic tape, IMO.

D.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Nothing digital comes close to the sound of gently over-modulated magnetic tape, IMO.
D.
Doug, has no one been able to synthesize this yet? I would think the DAW folks would be all over this.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, those apps are out there. I don't know how they sound; probably really fine.

Just know that, let's say, gunshots sound horrible on a digital machine. And great on a Nagra.

D.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

I recently bought a Nagra IV S from Trew Audio. What a beautiful machine; it radiates technological beauty just sitting there not doing anything.

I bought it to transfer a very large archive of 2 track and mono tapes, many them very old, to high rez digital. One of the things they rarely talk about, but it's another way the Nagra shines, is that it is probably the gentlest and least dangerous tape transport for delicate old tapes out there. NOTHING touches the oxide during fast wind except two high precision free spinning aluminum rollers; no stationary tape guides or lifters to grind your precious oxide off as the tape goes by. The braking system is super gentle.

The quality of the wind on the takeup reel after playback is stunning; absolutely flat. And during playback there are ruby edged tape guides to get the tape by a mirror finished capstan. Amazing. This machine is a dream for a tape archivist or conservator.
Old 20th September 2011
Hey Nicholas if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the nagra. I can't seem to find a general price.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Without getting into specifics, the price of an old Nagra IV S is generally around $2,000; sometimes a bit more. If you're lucky, a bit less. A lot depends on the condition and the accessories that come with it, such as the AC power supply.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am pleased to learn that you are in the Nagra camp. Used machines vary all over the map as to condition. For you, buying from Trew Audio, they can tell you the wear condition of the machine.

Used machines need to be gone over because brakes, heads, felt lube jobs, cogs and etc. need checking. New heads are expensive, around $1800, but are required if the machine you bought was in heavy usage.

If in doubt and you need the best person to work on your IV-S, call Steve George at NAGRA USA. (615) 451-4168.

As far as your commentary and opinion on the transport of the Nagra, let's not mistake an acquisition machine like a IV-S for a mastering machine like a Studer A-80. The A-80 transport is the best for archive work and is the most gentle of ANY machine.

Please check if your brakes are in good shape on the IV-S. The tape handling is good on that machine IF everything is in good adjustment.

Strong MOVE with the Nagra!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas West View Post
Without getting into specifics, the price of an old Nagra IV S is generally around $2,000; sometimes a bit more. If you're lucky, a bit less. A lot depends on the condition and the accessories that come with it, such as the AC power supply.
I've been watching them recently because I've thought about selling mine to raise cash for a mic purchase (don't really want to sell it though). I have a IV-S that was recently serviced and is in perfect working order. I saw one go for $5k on Ebay a few months ago. A more recent one went for $3.6k. I paid about $1700 for mine, but I had to drop another $1200 to get it up to 100% order. Should be good for many years now.

The question I have is: will collectors and regular users grab them up and drive up the price, or will they decline as they become more used? I imagine one day Nagra will stop offering parts.

And BTW, Trew Audio made a slight change to a component or two in mine to get it calibrated to a +6 tape. I cannot believe the difference. Dead quiet even at 7.5 ips. Gorgeous.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I am pleased to learn that you are in the Nagra camp. Used machines vary all over the map as to condition. For you, buying from Trew Audio, they can tell you the wear condition of the machine.

Used machines need to be gone over because brakes, heads, felt lube jobs, cogs and etc. need checking. New heads are expensive, around $1800, but are required if the machine you bought was in heavy usage.

If in doubt and you need the best person to work on your IV-S, call Steve George at NAGRA USA. (615) 451-4168.

As far as your commentary and opinion on the transport of the Nagra, let's not mistake an acquisition machine like a IV-S for a mastering machine like a Studer A-80. The A-80 transport is the best for archive work and is the most gentle of ANY machine.

Please check if your brakes are in good shape on the IV-S. The tape handling is good on that machine IF everything is in good adjustment.

Strong MOVE with the Nagra!
Thanks so much for this info, Plush! That name and phone # is valuable for sure.

As a matter of fact, the machine I bought from Trew, I have discovered, actually has an obscure problem with the left channel of the playback amp. I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it back to them for warranty servicing, which really gets on my nerves so soon after buying it. So it's good to know there are others who can repair the damn things.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just traded a IVs, with a V as well, in on a Nagra VI. Very glad I did.

Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

WOW--David S.
STRONG Move!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search