The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who would like to use SD 788t as a soundcard to their computer? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
View Poll Results: Would you want the 788t to be able to act as an 8 track Firewire i/o for your DAW?
Yes, I want this! Please kind SD people, please.
35 Votes - 72.92%
No, I don't see the need for this feature.
7 Votes - 14.58%
I don't care as I won't buy a 788t anyway.
6 Votes - 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Who would like to use SD 788t as a soundcard to their computer?

According to SD rep John Tatooles it would be technically feasible to program the Sound Devices 788t in such a way that it could be used as a Firewire soundcard to a computer. A firmware update could be enough. This however would cost them serious programming effort and since nobody ever asks for this functionality we are not likely going to see it implemented ever.

My belief is that this feature would be a major extra selling point for the 788t. Think of it: first record on location using your 788t, then connect it to your computer and use as a high quality 8 track i/o for your DAW. You could even mix outside your computer using the CL-9 mixing surface without having to go analog. IMO that would be a killer feature!

So give me your opinion. Would you want to see this in the 788t and would it be an extra reason for you to buy it?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

It would definitely be a selling point turning me more towards the 788 than the Nomad. Apart from a portable recorder I also need a portable audio interface for editing. It'd be nice to use the same unit for both functions. Even better if it was bus powered...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
It would definitely be a selling point turning me more towards the 788 than the Nomad. Apart from a portable recorder I also need a portable audio interface for editing. It'd be nice to use the same unit for both functions. Even better if it was bus powered...
Well, the 788t runs on battery power, as does your laptop. When running on bus power it would shorten the life of the laptop battery considerably, so I'd personally not see much use for this. And if you have mains power available you can plug the 788t into that.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

A while ago i was told by SD its not possible to have this functionality, not even in the future. This was "because there is no communication between the firewire port and the streaming audio". Now, if that was not true after all, thats great! This would make it almost perfect machine.

-Antti

Last edited by Antti P; 13th September 2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: added a quote
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think that that is a great idea! Powering would be something to think about but solvable with a cable or the battery. Bus powered? Depends on how much does it draw...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Well, the 788t runs on battery power, as does your laptop. When running on bus power it would shorten the life of the laptop battery considerably, so I'd personally not see much use for this. And if you have mains power available you can plug the 788t into that.
Yes of course, power needs to come from somewhere. But carrying around two PSUs when one would be enough in the bus powered scenario is annoying. But even if it would be useful I don't see much of a future for this feature. That power scheme seems like an odd thing for SD to have built in into a recorder beforehand...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Yes of course, power needs to come from somewhere. But carrying around two PSUs when one would be enough in the bus powered scenario is annoying. But even if it would be useful I don't see much of a future for this feature. That power scheme seems like an odd thing for SD to have built in into a recorder beforehand...
But you wouldn't be carrying it around,isn't that meant for a stationary purpose?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I would like to be able to playback/ and record a track simultaneously.
This would be my preference.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'd like the same with my 744t tbh. The ability to use it's DAC and headphone amp wherever I connect it would be superb as both those components in the 7 series are high-class.

I'd even consider selling the external DAC and headphone amp I use at home to pay for another mic if it had this capability.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Asked about overdubbing too. Not gonna happen because "The playback and record functions are completely separate thus playback and record at the same time will never be possible". Of course it might depend whos asking.. And how many people.

-Antti
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
It might be possible on a Nagra VI but again they say there is no demand...
Shall we petition Sound Devices?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think I would find use for this feature and I did think about it before I bought my 788T-SSD.

Lovely machine by the way. Possibly the single most impressive piece of gear I've ran into.

/Peter
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
It might be possible on a Nagra VI but again they say there is no demand...
Shall we petition Sound Devices?
Yes, this poll is my first toe in the water. I would like to petition Sound Devices if there are enough people voting for it. I do not believe that there would not be enough interest in using the 788t as a Firewire sound interface. Usually SD talks to TV professionals who drop off their tracks to a separate post production facility, so for them it might not be very important. But for remote music recording people this would be a great functionality. Also those who are editing on the run would be greatly helped by this: shoot during the day and edit in the hotel room on the laptop with the 788t as a soundcard. Saves another box to lug around with you and can also be used away from mains power. Just brilliant.

So whoever has good relations with SD, please ask them!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a sound card in my desktop which I use. However, this would be an interesting option to have. If SD built it I would try it. It would defintely make the machine more attractive.

Last edited by boojum; 15th September 2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti P View Post
A while ago i was told by SD its not possible to have this functionality, not even in the future. This was "because there is no communication between the firewire port and the streaming audio". Now, if that was not true after all, thats great! This would make it almost perfect machine.

-Antti
According to John from SD this would be possible because the mechanics/electronics are there, but the programming of the functionality is not in place. It would take serious programming effort though, so it is important to convince SD that current and prospect users would want it and that it would be a unique selling point for the 788t.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
According to John from SD this would be possible because the mechanics/electronics are there, but the programming of the functionality is not in place. It would take serious programming effort though, so it is important to convince SD that current and prospect users would want it and that it would be a unique selling point for the 788t.
Great! Actually this makes more sense than the answer i got.

For me this has been deal/ no deal functionality. At the moment the 788 is an overkill for my needs, but with this it would be a different story.

-Antti
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! Actually this makes more sense than the answer i got.

For me this has been deal/ no deal functionality. At the moment the 788 is an overkill for my needs, but with this it would be a different story.

-Antti
From SD´s POV it would make more sense to release a 788 without recording functionality. Something like a MixPre-D 8-channel-version.

I don´t see why someone would take a 788 in the field to hook it up to a laptop as the recording device.

Having said that I highly doubt such high quality pres with real P48 and up to 10mA/Channel current draw could be supplied by USB or FW bus-power.

I think a 788 draws more than 1A. That´s never going to work via USB or FW.

But all this would be better placed over on the SD forum where SD actually read what people want.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
From SD´s POV it would make more sense to release a 788 without recording functionality. Something like a MixPre-D 8-channel-version.

I don´t see why someone would take a 788 in the field to hook it up to a laptop as the recording device.

Having said that I highly doubt such high quality pres with real P48 and up to 10mA/Channel current draw could be supplied by USB or FW bus-power.

But all this would be better placed over on the SD forum where SD actually read what people want.
The idea behind all this is to be able to use the 788 as a firewire soundcard when you are not in the field. Without a separate device. If ive understood everybody right?

As for having this conversation on SDs forum, i got zero responses there earlier this summer. Nothing from SD, nothing from fellow forum members. They answered only after direct contact by email. So, if things get rolling this way, im all for it.

-Antti
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, if I understood it right the goal is not to use it as a recorder, but a soundcard. No need to use it as a recorder, if it's already a standalone rec...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, I sometimes need a laptop in places where there is no power just because there are things which one can not do with a recorder.

Quote:

Why not use the SD's own Li-ion battery?

-----

And yes, the point is that since you have all the great ADC/DAC, phones out, etc., why not to use them whenever you want with a lap?

Think of having a session on location somewhere away from your studio and than you need to do some work on a lap (for any reason). You need to bring another interface, right? In this case you don't have to.

And with such high quality components one could even use it as an interface not on location too.

Last edited by Sheikyearbouti; 14th September 2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The idea behind all this is to be able to use the 788 as a firewire soundcard when you are not in the field. Without a separate device. If ive understood everybody right?
Yes, you got that right! It would be added functionality through a firmware update. SD says their users don't want it as they have gotten only one or two requests for this over time. I think most users simply have not thought about it and if they did they didn't ask for it. I got a 788t as a field recorder in the first place, but my editing room is full of (expensive) boxes that have to add functionality that the 788t could do when programmed to do so.

I mix quite some 5.1 surround, so now I am using a Fireface 800 for monitoring purposes and other i/o. My 788t could do the same at half the size and with better preamps and converters, if it would have the right firmware to do so. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to sell the Fireface and use my 788t. Less equipment at better functionality and sound quality!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did anyone of you see the other message I posted about a forthcoming firmware update, where SD is going to include an "auto-mixer" in the 788t? I wonder how my fellow 788t users think about it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...uto-mixer.html

If you were to choose between that "auto-mixer" and the option to use the 788t as a Firewire audio interface, which would you prefer? I am trying to find out how well aware SD is of its user's preferences.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to SD rep John Tatooles it would be technically feasible to program the Sound Devices 788t in such a way that it could be used as a Firewire soundcard to a computer. A firmware update could be enough. This however would cost them serious programming effort and since nobody ever asks for this functionality we are not likely going to see it implemented ever.

My belief is that this feature would be a major extra selling point for the 788t. Think of it: first record on location using your 788t, then connect it to your computer and use as a high quality 8 track i/o for your DAW. You could even mix outside your computer using the CL-9 mixing surface without having to go analog. IMO that would be a killer feature!

So give me your opinion. Would you want to see this in the 788t and would it be an extra reason for you to buy it?
It's a fantastic idea... the unit would be twice as useful and would save
users the cost of buying audio interfaces for their computers. There are
few audio interfaces that could rival the 788t's 8 mic preamps and
converters and compact size.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I own the 744T but would have considered the jump to the 788T if it also had that feature.

I actually did some extensive listening tests this week to compare the DA conversion on my 744T versus my Yamaha 01V and Motu896. (Fed digital audio via AES to the 744T). The converters on the 744T are the best I own! It is audible - they're just... clearer & more detailed. So it would be a super useful feature for those times that you want to overdub something in the field. Or for use in the project studio because it is such a great sounding piece of kit. I suppose I already use it there however.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Being able to use a 788 as as sound card would be great. I would use the 788 alone when recording a concert (no overdubs or multiple takes). However, I'd prefer to hook to a computer when remotely recording where there were multiple takes and overdubs. And the editing that was already mentioned would be a plus.

This concept of dual use is not new and has already proven to be a big hit with recording folks like us. Just look at the popularity of RME's UFX. it makes as ton of sense to get more functionality out of really good hardware. The mic pres, converters, data ports, and other electronics are already there. All that's needed is some programming magic.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
I would have loved to have this option!

I looked closely about a year ago at the 788T when I was shopping for a new interface that I could use on location. Most of my work is location recording, at which of course this unit excels. But, I also needed an interface for my home studio for tracking some projects and mixing all of them. I could not justify buying two separate units, so I ended up getting a UFX. The UFX is great, but with the portability and battery power of the 788t I likely would have bought one if I could have also used it as an interface.
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

As much as I am disappointed to say, it seems this desire of ours has no future. I contacted Sound Devices directly and received this reply:

"Glad to hear that you're happy with your 788T and I appreciate your input for this feature request but this will never be possible. There is no connection between the streaming digital audio and the firewire ports. No software could ever be implemented that would allow the 788T to be used in that way. If you have any other questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me."

It seems our only hope for this would be on a future model as it seem that it is not possible on a 788T.

Ed
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddydenton View Post
As much as I am disappointed to say, it seems this desire of ours has no future. I contacted Sound Devices directly and received this reply:

"Glad to hear that you're happy with your 788T and I appreciate your input for this feature request but this will never be possible. There is no connection between the streaming digital audio and the firewire ports. No software could ever be implemented that would allow the 788T to be used in that way. If you have any other questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me."

It seems our only hope for this would be on a future model as it seem that it is not possible on a 788T.

Ed
Mmm, that's a whole different story than I heard from the mouth of John Tatooles. I have been debating this possible option for some twenty minutes with him and the result was what I quoted from him in my original first post in this thread...
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear
I think SD HQ has various sources
I have inquired about sync playback and simultaneous record on one 788, got an absolute NO from the forum and a Possibly from JT.
Old 4th November 2013
Here for the gear

I've just sold all my studio equipment because my idea was to use The soundevices for field recording but also so it could double as my music studio at home as an interface. Its got all the features i need. AD/DA conversion, enough mic pres and firewire. Its very sad to hear that they will not be doing this anytime soon. :( I would certainly buy the Sound Devices 788t along with the cl9 right away if it was compatible with protools as an interface as well, i couldn't think of anything better for what i need it for. Does anyone know if the Nagra VI does this? i know it doesn't have as Many MIC pres but it may have to be the next best option if it can operate as an audio interface with protools?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search