The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who would like to use SD 788t as a soundcard to their computer? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
View Poll Results: Would you want the 788t to be able to act as an 8 track Firewire i/o for your DAW?
Yes, I want this! Please kind SD people, please.
35 Votes - 72.92%
No, I don't see the need for this feature.
7 Votes - 14.58%
I don't care as I won't buy a 788t anyway.
6 Votes - 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRSsound View Post
Does anyone know if the Nagra VI does this? i know it doesn't have as Many MIC pres but it may have to be the next best option if it can operate as an audio interface with protools?
No it doesn't. But it would be simple to connect your motherboard SPDIF output to either of these recorders and use their DAC's to provide high quality output.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

None of the dedicated field recorders work as computer audio interfaces.
I guess that's because they're designed for extreme reliability in recording sound for film.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

As to the original question, would I like interface functionality in the 788T?
I would not, because the device is supposed to reliably record.
What I would like is an "8-channel USBpre" with the 7 series preamps, though. Preferrably daisy-chainable. Think MOTU 8pre (which isn't a bad device either) in SD quality.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRSsound View Post
I've just sold all my studio equipment because my idea was to use The soundevices for field recording but also so it could double as my music studio at home as an interface. Its got all the features i need. AD/DA conversion, enough mic pres and firewire. Its very sad to hear that they will not be doing this anytime soon. :( I would certainly buy the Sound Devices 788t along with the cl9 right away if it was compatible with protools as an interface as well, i couldn't think of anything better for what i need it for. Does anyone know if the Nagra VI does this? i know it doesn't have as Many MIC pres but it may have to be the next best option if it can operate as an audio interface with protools?
You can do something into this direction by employing an AES card between your computer and SD788T. Could be an RME HDSPe AES-32 PCI-Express for example. Lynx makes something similar. This way you can use your SD788T as an 8 track DA converter and in conjuction with a CL-9 as a real time digital summing mixer with physical faders, while recording the end mix or send it back to the computer. I've found the summing of the 788T to sound better than my computer's ITB summing. My guess is that it has to do with the higher internal processing bith depth (32 bit) than the 24 bits of most DAWs.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
As to the original question, would I like interface functionality in the 788T?
I would not, because the device is supposed to reliably record.
What I would like is an "8-channel USBpre" with the 7 series preamps, though. Preferrably daisy-chainable. Think MOTU 8pre (which isn't a bad device either) in SD quality.
If it has ultra low latency and priced right, that would be very good.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

If you really need to have a box that is a recorder and an interface at the same time there is the Roland R88.

philp
Old 6th December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
If you really need to have a box that is a recorder and an interface at the same time there is the Roland R88.

philp

Ah this looks interesting, and alot more affordable indeed! has anyone had experience with this device? I would still want Physical faders
for the studio sessions that i'm doing, and live music production on the the fly. the 'midi controller' option doesn't seem like the best way for optimal control of volume and other parmaters. Would be nice to have a fully responsive analogue controller.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

There's an entire thread about the r-88. I reviewed it a while ago for a Swedish magazine and it's a very good semi-pro option offering nice quality in a bulky package. Lacks some metadata but has seen improvements in this area, and you can use a small midi fader/rotary encoder as midi controller.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search