The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New recording with Gefell M221. Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

New recording with Gefell M221.

I tried my Gefell M221 and DPA 4003 today, here are two pieces to listen to. There was no time to A-B test the microphone. But the M221 was the main microphones, and DPA with the nosecone on, placed in the middle of the church.

https://secure1.storegate.com/Shares...e-ad3cb78578ee
Old 12th September 2011
Wow.

Can't think of anything else to say.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Wow.

Can't think of anything else to say.
Powerful

wow to the performance, organ, church and the recording!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Janne, very nice! What preamps and AD converters did you use?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Janne, very nice! What preamps and AD converters did you use?
Hold on now! It is "only" Steinberg MR816 X preamps and AD. For the DPA 4003 - HMA5000 High-Voltage Microphone Amplifier set to 0dB and go through MR816 preamps.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

So you blended the two pairs, or is this only MK221?

I also have a pair of Gefell 221 since july, but the ones from Josephson (C617 Set)!
I will use them a lot starting next week!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great sound!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

If you want up to the really "big boys and Girls", is Forssell SMP-2 preamp next step?

If yes, is the answer. Can anyone provide some useful information about why it is good, etc...
Maybe there some kind soul out there, who want to sell one of those to me cheap
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne_L View Post
Hold on now! It is "only" Steinberg MR816 X preamps and AD. For the DPA 4003 - HMA5000 High-Voltage Microphone Amplifier set to 0dB and go through MR816 preamps.
So it still sounds good and that's all that matters.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
So it still sounds good and that's all that matters.
Absolutely! But I would like to try Forssell SMP-2 preamp, and listen if they're as good as you hear and read about it.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Janne,

Your recording is excellent.

What was the processing afterwards?

ie ... Did you record at 44.1? Or at a higher sanple rate?

If higher, what was your method for down sampling and converting to MP3?

To emphasize, your results, even in the MP3 format are excellent!!

It brings to mind the question of why it is so many recordists with high end equipment, end up with flattened muddy results after producing the 44.1 distribution files.

You provide proof of what can be accomplished.

After hearing your MP3, I wouldn't be concerned about the need to upgrade micpres. Maybe using your $ for more mics would be more focused to your goals? You have 8 channels to use.

I have owned two SMP-2's. They are not magical. They are another sound color. Nothing to me resulted to be awe inspiring. Some people go gaga over them. In comparison to what I already had, it was not worth while (for me) to keep them.

Don't misunderstand, SMP-2 are great products, and the service is excellent. Based on micpres already in my collection, the SMP-2 did not offer an alternative that compared with the cost of keeping them.

Please note: Because SMP-2's are an external micpre (and like any other)require audio cables to connect to your AD. The cables you use will change the sound dramatically. In my testing (which I do not claim is the best/final answer for anyone else) I have much preferred the micpres that are built into my AD for transparency and realism. Mechanically the built in pres are directly connected and do not require another cable that will change the sound.

thank you for post your recording !!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift1 View Post
Hi Janne,

Your recording is excellent.

What was the processing afterwards?

ie ... Did you record at 44.1? Or at a higher sanple rate?

If higher, what was your method for down sampling and converting to MP3?

To emphasize, your results, even in the MP3 format are excellent!!

It brings to mind the question of why it is so many recordists with high end equipment, end up with flattened muddy results after producing the 44.1 distribution files.

You provide proof of what can be accomplished.

After hearing your MP3, I wouldn't be concerned about the need to upgrade micpres. Maybe using your $ for more mics would be more focused to your goals? You have 8 channels to use.

I have owned two SMP-2's. They are not magical. They are another sound color. Nothing to me resulted to be awe inspiring. Some people go gaga over them. In comparison to what I already had, it was not worth while (for me) to keep them.

Don't misunderstand, SMP-2 are great products, and the service is excellent. Based on micpres already in my collection, the SMP-2 did not offer an alternative that compared with the cost of keeping them.

Please note: Because SMP-2's are an external micpre (and like any other)require audio cables to connect to your AD. The cables you use will change the sound dramatically. In my testing (which I do not claim is the best/final answer for anyone else) I have much preferred the micpres that are built into my AD for transparency and realism. Mechanically the built in pres are directly connected and do not require another cable that will change the sound.

thank you for post your recording !!

Thank you all for your nice comments about the recording!

Only normalized, It´s recorded in 44.1 - 24bit. I used iZOTOPE RX 2 Denoiser, Apogee's UV22HR dither - 24bit 44.1-320kb mp3.

Interesting to hear what you think about Forssell preamp!

I've never tried it or any other of those high end preamps, but still got pretty good recordings.
I'm incredibly impressed what MR816X capable of!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used iZOTOPE RX 2 Denoiser, Apogee's UV22HR dither - 24bit 44.1-320kb mp3.
A little off-topic, but I am curious just why you used a denoiser. What noise did you need to remove? I am always curious about use of denoisers and similar in post.

Thank you.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
A little off-topic, but I am curious just why you used a denoiser. What noise did you need to remove? I am always curious about use of denoisers and similar in post.

Thank you.
There are air boxes that have noise for those newly installed high pressure trumpets (chamader), which penetrates into the church. But I do not know if I use Denoise at all, very little I would say. But that was the reason why, if you're wondering
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are air boxes that have noise for those newly installed high pressure trumpets (chamader), which penetrates into the church. But I do not know if I use Denoise at all, very little I would say. But that was the reason why, if you're wondering
Thank you.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Thank you.
Was in a hurry to answer your question. Hope you do not misinterpret my response.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely! But I would like to try Forssell SMP-2 preamp, and listen if they're as good as you hear and read about it.
I was impressed by a sound comparison (choir recording) between the Forssell and the Millennia I found somewhere on the Internet. The Millennia (which I don't like, I find it "clean" in the sense of sterile and strange sounding - what could be described as "clean" in that unit rather sounds like unmusical distortion to me) broke down when the music got loud, while the Forssell started to bloom.

I have since bought a Forssell. I would describe it as "clean with some balls". It has a low mid bump that makes it sound solid and punchy. It has a lot of air and space, a 3-D quality if used in stereo, and the "halo around the instrument" impression when used in mono. A relaxed clear presence.

So yes, I would say it's a great preamp, one of the best I know. I wouldn't call it a "totally clean sounding" unit (mostly because of that low mid punch), but it's very musical sounding, big and spacey.

When I bought it I hoped that it would be kind of a "solid state V76", and I would say that it kind of fits that description, plus low punch, minus some tube glow and roundness. The V76 is still my favourite.

I prefer the Forssell over Pendulum Audio for clean. The Pendulum sounds great, but more sterile. There is something cold in the sound of the Pendulum, something that I once described as "sounding like sugar substitute instead of the real thing".

Hmm, those are quite poetical descriptions. I hope some of them are understandable.

I wouldn't use the Forssell for rock or pop lead vocal, since it's too much "there in the room in front of you" (the Pendulum is even more like that).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search