The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DPA Surround Mount Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

DPA Surround Mount

Bought DPA Surround mount including an extra DPA omni 2006A i.e. I have now the option/luxury to install, a surround setup that includes;

2x B&K 4006
1x DPA 2006A
2x DPA 4011-TL

In most cases I will probably using the Decca tree configuration however I would like know from you guys what's your experience/favorite setup?

Cheers,

Gaston
Attached Thumbnails
DPA Surround Mount-s5surround.jpg  

Last edited by Gaston69; 12th September 2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: adding picture
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's quite useful and you feel like mr. Bond when assembling it.
It's a bit inflexible (unflexible? Man...) when compared to the grace system I think. Be careful not to scratch the surface.
I've usually used it Decca style turned upside down so one uses the Rear mount as Center. It works but gives too big a difference between LR and C for my taste. Mounted using the front LCR mounts it gives almost too little, and changing the width of the array takes disassembly and assembling an additional piece for L C and R. Unless you can get by with what the nice extendable arms get you that is.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
It's quite useful and you feel like mr. Bond when assembling it.
It's a bit inflexible (unflexible? Man...) when compared to the grace system I think. Be careful not to scratch the surface.
I've usually used it Decca style turned upside down so one uses the Rear mount as Center. It works but gives too big a difference between LR and C for my taste. Mounted using the front LCR mounts it gives almost too little, and changing the width of the array takes disassembly and assembling an additional piece for L C and R. Unless you can get by with what the nice extendable arms get you that is.
Well, I carry on the airplane 3 aluminum brief cases (1x DPA Surround Mount S5C, 1x DPA3511, 1x Remowa Pilot case containing Schoeps ORTF, DPA SMK4060, 2x DPA4099) as soon as I pass the customs all alarm bells go off and get a full detailed check and need to explain I am not a terrorist but a crazy recording engineer ;-)) goof

Within 10 days I will start working again and attend all rehearsals which gives me the opportunity to experiment.

Gaston

Last edited by Gaston69; 12th September 2011 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: suitcases vs brief cases
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Gaston, how is the 2006A compared to the classic 4006?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claying View Post
Gaston, how is the 2006A compared to the classic 4006?
I'm curious about this too!

::
Mads
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I'm curious about this too!

Mads
The 2006A is still packed however on the 16th I might record the Philharmonic from Chernigov Ukraine. Will post the results as usual.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
The 2006A is still packed however on the 16th I might record the Philharmonic from Chernigov Ukraine. Will post the results as usual.
Thanks for replying Gaston - You mentioned Decca Tree; do you know if it's possible to use the DPA spheres [I have a set of DPA 4006TL my-self including spheres] on the 2006A..?

Mads
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for replying Gaston - You mentioned Decca Tree; do you know if it's possible to use the DPA spheres [I have a set of DPA 4006TL my-self including spheres] on the 2006A..?

Mads
I have no spheres at all so it is all by all a new experiment
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you like tweaking your mic setup as opposed to try and fix it in the mix, then you'll love them. Flexibility, thy name is APE.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Mads
I've asked DPA about this and sorry, no APE will fit the 2006A/C.
As for the new modular 4006A/C, the old APEs do not fit; and the new ones are pending....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claying View Post
I've asked DPA about this and sorry, no APE will fit the 2006A/C.
As for the new modular 4006A/C, the old APEs do not fit; and the new ones are pending....
Thanks for info [although I had hoped for better news]

I don't know in detail how the new 2006 are physically constructed, other than they're using two of their miniature diaphragms. Maybe they're not as well suited for using with spheres, as the single diaphragm mics.

Mads

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search