The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Edirol R-4 Pro ssd - solid state drive - anyone? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Edirol R-4 Pro ssd - solid state drive - anyone?

Hello,

I'm trying to replace the original Fujitsu drive of my Edirol R-4 Pro with a solid state drive with no luck so far.
I was wondering if anyone managed to do it and could give us some advices about brands and capacity used.

So far I tried 64GB Kingspec PATA drives and they will get stuck during the formatting process, so the drive will be unusuable.
I tried a Samsung MMCRE28G5MXP 128GB SATA with a PATA to SATA converter and it is recognised by the recorder, formatted ok but the only function that works is "Record", so you won't be able to Stop Playing back and so on.

Edirol assistance is pretty much useless and they don't answer to this specific request, coming back just with the propose to buy a new hard drive (the same original Fujitsu) for UK £350 while I can find it someone else for £35 to £75.

Please someone who made it, show up!

Many thanks.

Emanuele
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

I just got a call from a Roland engineer who told me that Edirol doesn't exist anymore and everything related to its products as spare parts is managed by Roland.
Edirol support and development is now over.
If you are interested in mounting a SSD on the R4 Pro it's just up to you and you have to try and test hopefully to find something that works with it.
tutt
Very bad.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Why can't Roland help??
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

because Roland is not supporting Edirol products.
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Head

Edirol/Roland is pretty much useless in helping out and they don't have any clue.
The best thing they did is trying to sell a new hard drive (the same original one) at ten times the price I can find on the web.

Finally I made it through though.

I got an adaper to use CF cards:

Amazon.com: Syba Best Connectivity 2.5" IDE 44-pin to Dual Compact Flash Adapter: Electronics

that I filled up with a couple of 32GB from Trascent:

Edirol R-4 Pro ssd - solid state drive - anyone?eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and it work very well.
At the moment I'm trying to make a long recording to see what's happen when the file is reaching 2GB in lenght.

Before getting that adapter I already ordered a similar adapter through eBay but I'm still waiting to arrive. Once I'll have it I'll give it a go to see if it works:

Edirol R-4 Pro ssd - solid state drive - anyone?eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

In the meantime I played with success with another adapter for SD cards:

is working but I tried just with a 16GB card. I suppose is working also with bigger cards and in case you like it more than the others you have to find your way to lock it into the R4pro.

Finally my recorder doesn't suffer of the noise produced by tha data saved on the disk anymore, giving to sound a bit step forward in quality.
Yuppieee!!!!!
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

LMC - Does this adapter hold two CF cards? I see that these CF cards go to 128GB. That would make them a no-brainer to replace HD's in a lot of recorders. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the info andlinks.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Head

After few tests and use I can now say that all the mentioned adapters are working very well with the machine.
BUT:
The two dual CF adapter are working but just one of the two cards is recognised and in use, so please mind that if you want 64GB you'll need to buy a 64GB card, not two 32GB and so on.
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

Nice thread, thanks!

i started over immediately and tested with:
IDE-Adapter CompactFlash Compact Flash CF-Speicherkarte: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
and
Transcend Extreme-Speed 400x 32GB Compact Flash: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

it worked fine after formatting the CF-Card in NTFS (on a pc).

But: the recording is interrupted (audibly) every 2GB.

Anything i can do about it?
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Head

The card should be formatted in fat32.
The recorder itself should be fine in formatting it.
Maybe that can be the 2GB issue?

I also tried these cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...b_lfb_prodpg_3

that are working very well so far, so it would make a quite cheap replacement.
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

EDirol R-4 CF card mod fail - HDD NOT Formatted error!

I had this mod done professionally. Ive been playing around with the deck...it has the adaptor and 64GB card. Today I transferred a wav file via USB to the R-4. I powered down disconnected and couldnt find the file....I now get HDD NOT FORMATTED error.

I tried factory reset etc and nothing will bring it back up..

HELP!!!
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, is this thread still active?

I am searching for reliable information on R4 Pro internal HD replacement and this seems to be the most complete post I found.
Would like to know if the SSD card hack continued working until now before opening and dismantling my unit.
Would be great to have an input. last message in the thread was frightening.

Thanks
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Head

My one is still alive and kicking and no issues so far.
Sometimes when used on a recording, if I plug that to a computer it won't be recognised. Just swich the Edirol off and on again and there it goes...
Old 16th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi folks
I put an sd card adapter. When I format the card to fat32 with a pc, it will read "drive not formatted" when I hit record. So I format it with the edirol, and now it reads "over prj #ggg ". I put back the hd and it also reads unformatted. Then I connected the ground cable and it worked. So the problem now would seem to be that the sd adapter has no means to attach a ground screw.
How should I go about this? I could solder it but would not know where to. The ground pin on the adapter?
I should also note that the first time I connected the IDE cable the wrong way (pin 1 to pin 44). I am so lucky the ide controller on the recorder didn't get fried, but I may have a defective adapter now...
Can you comment on what are you doing with the ground with the adapters that dont have mounting holes?
Thanks in advance!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search