The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wireless Lav Mic Systems
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Wireless Lav Mic Systems

Hey guys,

I have a buddy who works for a radio station, and they are setting up a new video studio. He was asking some questions about Lav mic systems. I'm a studio guy, and don't know too much about Lav mic systems. Here is his email:

---------------
Can wireless lav systems support 6 mics? I found one that does 8 (Nady), but I know nothing of this brand. I was hoping to stick to a good brand like Shure or Sennheiser. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, are all rack mounts the same size/width across?
---------------

Any suggestions from you guys who do this regularly? I've used Nady mics before for recording, and do NOT like them. But, who knows...maybe their Lav systems aren't too bad. What would you guys recommend for him?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Low output, short range ,diversity can support 24 ish channels (stage )
High output ,long range , diversity can do 8 ish channels (film/tele)
Neither cheap.
Cheap might be 4-6 local.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

You get what you pay for. $10,000ish will get you six units of Lectrosonics in a 1U space (for the receivers obviously). They will be worth the money.

D.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Exclamation

There are Sennheiser systems running with well over 50 channels, you just need the available spectrum. I think there was one running almost 100 together.

Each of the frequency blocks in a G3 (or G2) are fully intermodulation-free within themselves. So if every system is in the same block you can have 20 or more working together, no problem.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
There are Sennheiser systems running with well over 50 channels, you just need the available spectrum. I think there was one running almost 100 together.

Each of the frequency blocks in a G3 (or G2) are fully intermodulation-free within themselves. So if every system is in the same block you can have 20 or more working together, no problem.
And... Eight Sennheiser systems (G2 or G3) will run you between $4,000 and $6,000, used or new. These are entry-level to reliable RF. I own eight... Four G1, two G2 and two G3, in two frequent blocks. I have no quibbles. They do what they do in every situation (mainly corporate AV and ENG-style audio-for-video acquisition) for clients who seem to keep hiring me. Would I like to be running Lectrosonics or Sennheiser 2000 or 5000 series? You bet. Do I need (in my situation) to spend the extra dough? Notsomuch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search