The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very challenging under-the-clothes lav scenario
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut
Very challenging under-the-clothes lav scenario

Okay, seasoned pros, I've got a scenario for you. Here's what this female talent was wearing:

1.) Slip dress (which went up to where you can still some cleavage)
2.) Very thin, almost see-through synthetic-fiber sweater on top of the dress (goes up to the collar bone)
3.) Ultra-thin, synthetic-fiber scarf (more of an accessory) which is loosely wrapped around her neck.

In other words... LOTS of sh*t, and lots of opportunities for clothes to rustle against each other.

I was using a TRAM 50 knock-off, the OST 801. Sounds great and almost identical frequency curve, but perhaps I need to be schooled in the TRAM.

She was buxom, so there is about 1.5 inches from the slip dress to her breastbone. I put it on her slip dress, taped it down with the mic facing the clothes (yes, error #1.)

Where the hell should I have put this thing? And should I have been using a different lav?

Any insight is very, very appreciated!

Best,

Brian
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

You sound like you just want to re-live the moment!

Hey, if you made the best you could of the situation, then that's that.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

You put it down in her cleavage...wire inside and behind as much as possible. I've put lots of mikes down inside big breasted women..none of them seemed to mind. If your lav has a small head on it it's almost invisible and sometimes it is invisible. Younger breasts hold the mic more firmly in place. And no I'm not joking. As long as they aren't pole dancing or doing some kind of aerobics it works well. And another tip I received from a huge audio guy who has done many feature films...if you have to use a lav in a windy situation, wool felt is what many of the pros use. You can pick it up at some fabric shops. Wrap a small piece of black wool felt around the mic and it works much better than foam windscreens.
L.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check out the Rycote lav hanging system. The "Stickies" are great on bare skin, hypoallergenic, don't leave marks (I tell them it's "like a Bandaid" which seems to alleviate most fear.) Right between the "girls" on the skin; sometimes vampire-clipped to the crossbar of the bra (although frequently, that's a little too far away from the mouth than I'd like) and the noise that the wardrobe makes rubbing against each other; well sometimes it "is what it is."

For wind, there is little better than the Rycote "Fuzzies" that go along with the "Stickies."

The whole rig is here: Wind-noise protection for personal mics » Rycote

And nothing like hanging 1000 lavs to hone your skills

D.

And oh yes. Some wardrobe is better than others But my utility did a fine job of wiring a bikini the other day so it can be done.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Between the breasts or in the hairline
Thats what assistants do
The talent is strangely nonplussed
The assistant less so
When in doubt get Frocks on the job.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Always a good idea to invite "Frocks." They get really miffed if you don't

D.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut
Thanks for your help. I think you nailed it when you said "nothing like 1000 lavs to get it right." I feel like it's always just a crap-shoot. Sometimes it sounds perfect, other times it's a **** storm of clothing noise and I'm standing there feeling like a total ass of a sound-guy.

I'll check out stickies.

I also heard of the "mic cage" for trams, I've used them and they worked well but I wasn't sure if they were actually doing anything because I still heard a little rustle.

Are there any detailed books or websites on which lavs are better for different wardrobes, clothing materials, under-clothes, semi-under-clothes?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut
What are frocks?
Old 10th September 2011
A frock must be:
easily donned (its principal virtue)
loose and not fitted or waisted
pull-over but could have front buttons
goes over something else, other than underwear.
longer than a smock but shorter than a gown.
perfect for knee-tremblers
WT
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Frocks.
Wardrobe Department
A sound mans best friends on a movie/ drama.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibell View Post
A frock must be:
easily donned (its principal virtue)
loose and not fitted or waisted
pull-over but could have front buttons
goes over something else, other than underwear.
longer than a smock but shorter than a gown.
perfect for knee-tremblers
WT
Very funny!!!

"Knee trenblers" OMFG

D.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwflood View Post
Thanks for your help. I think you nailed it when you said "nothing like 1000 lavs to get it right." I feel like it's always just a crap-shoot. Sometimes it sounds perfect, other times it's a **** storm of clothing noise and I'm standing there feeling like a total ass of a sound-guy.

I'll check out stickies.

I also heard of the "mic cage" for trams, I've used them and they worked well but I wasn't sure if they were actually doing anything because I still heard a little rustle.

Are there any detailed books or websites on which lavs are better for different wardrobes, clothing materials, under-clothes, semi-under-clothes?
Cages don't help much with rustle usually. There are innumerable techniques for anchoring the mic and the fabric around it so it doesn't rub on the mic, but that's not usually the real problem. The real problem is the sound the fabric makes rubbing over itself as the wearer moves, and nothing will help that except to get the mic as far from those fabrics as you can, try to prevent the fabrics from moving so much, and have clothes that are quiet in the first place. I found that the cages, being bigger than the lav mics themselves, made the mic harder to hide ('third breast" syndrome, etc.) Another vote here for the Rycote stickies.

phil p
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another vote for the bra technique. Prefer Sanken COS-11 because they're non-square and sound most natural to my ears. Also seem to be less susceptible to rustling as the diaphragm is mounted lower in the body.
Taping them (with band-aid type of tape) to their chest is not as reliable in warmer conditions, as the sweat might interfere with adhesive tape...

So - how the heck was that bikini wired?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search