The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Struggling to get L/R balance using Blumlein for singer-songwriter
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Struggling to get L/R balance using Blumlein for singer-songwriter

Having been trying out various different stereo techniques recently to record myself (vocals+acoustic guitar), I definitely find that Blumlein gives me the most realistic and natural sounding recording.

However, I play quite a big guitar. Pretty much wherever I sit or stand, the resulting recording is always a bit "voice on the left, guitar on the right".

Or, if I shuffle around until my voice is central in my headphones, the guitar sounds pretty far-right, with the left hand side sounding pretty empty.

The only thing I can think of to do is to move the two mics in super-close, though that kind of seems a shame (I'll lose room ambience). Though I suppose I still get what the Figure 8s capture behind them. It's not a great room (my living room), but it's a decent size, with high ceilings, and sounds quite airy.
Old 9th September 2011
If you move the mics in too close, you may get an even more exaggerated separation. Usually, in this kind of situation the guitar and voice are recorded separately. The best solution would be to get a third mic just for the voice and use your two fig8s on the guitar.

You can use an MS codec in post to narrow the image in post and add reverb for space, you can also increase the pickup angle of the mics to wider than 90 degrees and center the image, and a whole slew of other things.

I think more experimenting is required.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

right, so maybe actually moving mics BACK is a better option: I guess they'd hear me and the guitar more as a single entity.... maybe....

I've tried Mid Side and had good results. It's the most 'conservative' option, in terms of control.

But Blumlein seems to give me more of that "in the room" sensuality. A lot of old folk recordings that I like are a bit 'voice on left, guitar on right' and I guess that's why. I can live with it.

I've tried adding spot mics, as insurance, alongside the blumlein pair, but it always sounds like an imposition on playback - it always sounds immediately sexier and more live when I've muted them.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's no reason that the mic pair needs to be straight up and down with respect to the floor...Tilt them to the side so that your head and the body of the guitar can both be closer to the center of the image.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse View Post
There's no reason that the mic pair needs to be straight up and down with respect to the floor...Tilt them to the side so that your head and the body of the guitar can both be closer to the center of the image.

Also you can use MS techniques to pan M and S elements individually after the fact of any stereo recording.

Matti
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Its easy to twiddle image later,dont move your head or gtr about too much though,its disconcerting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search