The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
acoustic guitars & vox Dynamic Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

acoustic guitars & vox

I have a singer/songwriter comin over next week:
acoustic guitar & vocals, 20 songs, live, no overdubs in 2 6-hour sessions (something i actually havent done a lot over the years) & she expects pretty good results & loads of reverb/delay on vocals but a rather dry guitarsound: a very specific sound from what i heard from her demo...

i have an alright mic collection includin a tubemic i love on female vocals, a liveroom, a dry room and a vocal booth

how do i capture both best without too much crosstalk? (Id rather not use a 58 on vocals though)
Or should i not worry bout crosstalk?
maybe even use room mics?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Do you have any MD441 s
Stick her in the wet room
A senny on each and space to taste
Everything is better when wet.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

However you chose to do the main micing of vocal and guitar (too many options, load of threads with them in already....) may I suggest to use the SM58 near her mouth (WITH the condenser or whichever you use for the actual vocal sound) merely as an fx send, i.e. the 58 signal gets sent to the reverb and NOT into the mix, the vocal mic stays dry.....works nicely and seems to be a situation for it to suit......
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

yeh that fx58 might do the trick indeed
tube mic for clean vox and 441 sounds good on guitar, was wot i was thinkin but still a bit worried bout the crosstalk though. They both pick up lot the other
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

This may be obvious, but if the tube mic does fig8 point the null at the guitar (mic sideways, angled upwards) and point the 441 down at the guitar too.....

If not you might get a good vibe with the tube taking a mix of both, balanced by position, the 58 for vox fx send and the 441 as random room or guitar fx send......
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

What's the tube mic? Most of today's multi-patterns are pretty hyper-cardioid when they're in, um, hyper-cardioid mode.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guitar mic picking up a bit of voice, but the other way round could be a problem: a small amount of vocal bleed on the dry guitar might even be a plus, but a small amount of guitar bleed on the big-delay-and-reverb vocals could get messy.

I too would agree to do it in the live room. Sure, the room acoustic might be a problem if you want to add a big studio reverb to the voice later, but if you're going to do 20 songs in a day (which I'm sceptical about) you want her to be performing as well as possible. And she's more likely to do that in a good-sounding room.

Ever heard this song? It's a Laura Veirs track, quite a long reverb on the vocal, but the guitars and instruments are fairly dry:

Laura Veirs - "July Flame" Official Video - YouTube
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the guitar mic picking up a bit of voice, but the other way round could be a problem: a small amount of vocal bleed on the dry guitar might even be a plus, but a small amount of guitar bleed on the big-delay-and-reverb vocals could get messy.
Which is what getting her to eat the 58 and using it as fx send only will circumvent......then just make sure the vocal mic is in decent phase with the guitar mic.....
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Just experimented a bit,
Some useful tips. That fx58 works pretty good
But gonna go for the dry room though. Its easier to work with & got me cleaner results
Doubt it if we ll manage to do all 20 songs indeed
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by krevet View Post
I have a singer/songwriter comin over next week:
acoustic guitar & vocals, 20 songs, live, no overdubs in 2 6-hour sessions (something i actually havent done a lot over the years) & she expects pretty good results & loads of reverb/delay on vocals but a rather dry guitarsound: a very specific sound from what i heard from her demo...

i have an alright mic collection includin a tubemic i love on female vocals, a liveroom, a dry room and a vocal booth

how do i capture both best without too much crosstalk? (Id rather not use a 58 on vocals though)
Or should i not worry bout crosstalk?
maybe even use room mics?
Do you have two figure 8 mics? The usual way to accomplish vocal & guitar with minimum cross-bleed is to use two figure 8s and aim the nulls.

Vocal – Guitar Separation with Figure 8 Mics | Homebrewed Music

If you don't have figure 8 mics you can try "aiming the null" with cardioids or hypers but the results won't be as good.

Fran
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search