The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable Monitors for Recording and Playback in project studio
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Affordable Monitors for Recording and Playback in project studio

I know there are a million different posts on here about monitors on a budget but I haven't seen this specific question.

I need monitors for my project studio strictly to use to record and playback music. I will be doing very little mixing in this studio as I have a mixing room at my house that I plan to do all final mixes at.

I am not looking to spend much money because it is an on location studio just for recording. My budget goes up to 300 for the pair.

Id appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

A pair is a little over $300, but I like the Tannoy 501a. I use a pair for mixing. Mackie MR5s are also OK.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check your local pawnshops. Occasionally I'll see original Mackie 824s or JBL or Tannoy entry-level pairs for under $500. I bought a pair of M-Audio B5x on a GC sale for about $275 several years ago, but found them less usable on location than my Ultrasone cans, and not nearly accurate enough even to EQ audio-for-video in a secondary edit room. I'd definitely rather buy used better stuff than new cheap stuff. If you truly want only confirmation that something was recorded, just get some Radio Shack 4" two way (used to be Minimus 7) and a small pawnshop receiver. You could be stylin' for way under $200.

As with everything audio... it is, first and foremost, about the transducers. Mics and loudspeakers.
Old 11th September 2011
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Look at the small AudioEngine powered speakers. US$200/pair.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search