The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
easiest way with Zoom H4N to record in mono via XLR input and stereo using built-ins Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

easiest way with Zoom H4N to record in mono via XLR input and stereo using built-ins

Just got a Zoom H4n and will be using it to record audio interviews for podcasts, as well as for my own music production.

But for the NPR-like interviews, I want to be able to record the interviewee in mono, as is typical for broadcast, using my SM63 run into one of the XLR inputs on the H4n; and record room ambiance in stereo using the H4n's built-in stereo mics, at the same time.

Sounds feasible, right? It should be. Yet I'm confused on exactly how to do this. The manual doesn't seem to provide this specific setup, and/or seems to record either in stereo mode OR mono, versus stereo AND mono.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to record in mono using one external mic and stereo at the same time using the built-in mics?

Thanks!

Goal: I'm looking for the best quality recording, with voice in mono and ambiance in stereo, via the easiest method. Let me know, for instance, which setting to record in, Stereo, 4CH or MTR, and then, if getting the voice mono then requires essentially converting the voice recording to true mono using Cubase (or the like) in editing/post-production.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

's easy, open your H4n operation manual & turn 2 page 53
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search