The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Internet Live Broadcast Needs Headphone Amps
Old 3rd September 2011
Internet Live Broadcast Needs

Want to do some live remote broadcasts using wifi:

1) which service would you use? stageit.om, livestream.com ... or?
2) which small battery powered mixer?
3) lappy of an iPad?
4) also have an small HD Canon Camcorder
5) which wireless mic/earbuds for me and the camera man? Mine must have a windscreen. Would a lapel mic work very well?

Have a lightweight tripod, will be using handheld too
Just using one vocal and one acoustic/elec gtr.
Can't find much on the internet about this - most peeps use a stationary location, their studio, etc....
Any ideas?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
Want to do some live remote broadcasts using wifi:

1) which service would you use? stageit.om, livestream.com ... or?
2) which small battery powered mixer?
3) lappy of an iPad?
4) also have an small HD Canon Camcorder
5) which wireless mic/earbuds for me and the camera man? Mine must have a windscreen. Would a lapel mic work very well?

Have a lightweight tripod, will be using handheld too
Just using one vocal and one acoustic/elec gtr.
Can't find much on the internet about this - most peeps use a stationary location, their studio, etc....
Any ideas?
1. Wirecast and a MacBook Pro 2.6GHz with 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard is what we use on a weekly basis. You'll need a really solid WiFi connection, with lots of bandwidth. We do this every Sunday, and use the password protected net at the church (via a direct CAT5 connection), while the attendees use the "public" link. When we tried to run it all on "public" via WiFi, and with all the online iPhones and iPads in attendance, we locked it up, with regularity. Not good for us, or for them.
2. We feed one of our FOH console matrix out through a compressor to a DV deck, along with the video out of our switcher. The DV deck acts as a "bridge" and provides a FW feed into the MBP. Don't know if you can run FW picture and USB audio in at the same time... if so, any of the Alesis/A&H/Mackie USB units should work. You can see what we get, 9:30 am and 11:00 am USA Central timezone, Sundays at: Rolling Hills Community Church / Franklin, TN / Rolling Hills Live Streaming
3. If AV quality is less important than "you-were-there" immediacy and simplicity, why not the Mac's built-in ability? BTW... what is "lappy of an iPad"?
4. It's next to impossible to get good outboard audio into nearly any consumer "HD" cam or DSLR. A BeachTek or Sound Devices bridge unit is a must, if that's your goal.
5. I like (bang-for-buck) Sennheiser EW100 for entry-level. I prefer the EW500 series, but my EW100s work nearly as well, in nearly every situation. Get one with the e835 handheld and a Wind-Tech foam pop stop sock. Get a second EW100 rigged for your guitar, if you want to be completely sans wires. Or, save $800 and go with a wired SM58 (or e835) and a JDI direct box. IEM buds is too personal a choice for me to make a recommendation... but, to remain wireless, you'll need a Sennheiser or Shure RF IEM rig to that effect... or a Behringer HA400, if you don't mind the wire, will save you the entire price (less $22) of the RF system. Sound guy should have what he prefers. I like my UltraSone Pro650s. In noisy environs, I use Shure SE115 buds under shooting muffs (25-28dB suppression) for tracking.

If you're using more than one camera in a live situation (no post-production editing) you'll need a switcher. That's a whole 'nother can of worms, and you'll likely need a guy on that, if you want both good audio and good video.

Sounds ambitious. Good luck.

HB
Old 7th September 2011
All really great info thanks. I'm now aiming at complete remote on a major beach using nearby wifi. This means there's no ac anywhere. How would I set this up for wireless? For a vocal and an acoustic guitar. Are there wireless systems that run off of USB power?

Oh, #3 should have read "a lappy or an iPad" (iPad is out as I need adobe flash)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
All really great info thanks. I'm now aiming at complete remote on a major beach using nearby wifi. This means there's no ac anywhere. How would I set this up for wireless? For a vocal and an acoustic guitar. Are there wireless systems that run off of USB power?

Oh, #3 should have read "a lappy or an iPad" (iPad is out as I need adobe flash)
Don't want much, do ya?

The laptop connection will run a couple of hours with that kind of processor and transmit demand. You might want to check out running it from one of those big 12v booster batteries and a power converter, if the square wave buzz isn't too bad.

Sennheiser make a series of AA-powered "ENG" transmitters/receivers (see: Sennheiser EW100 ENG G3A Evolution Series - Wireless Microphone Combo ) of which I own two, with both lav element and plug-on transmitters. They work really well (outdoors you'll want to be as close as possible, and in as much direct line-of-sight as possible, there being no hard walls to reflect/contain the transmitted signal) and I've regularly run 2-3 hours without battery change, on NiMH AA rechargables.

You'll still have to get the combined audio and video signals into the laptop, either via FireWire (the way I know) or USB (which you'd have to investigate). If you could run through a camera that has XLR inputs, and a FireWire out (like my Sony Z1U) with a battery-powered mixer of some sort feeding the camera, everything could be DC powered. I'd also be real certain of the WiFi link (same applies... close and line-of-sight outdoors) before I got a bunch of my fans' hopes up.

HTH. YMMV.

HB
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

The MOTU Ultralite can be bus powered, with 2 preamps and some 'straight' mixing ability. Assuming your laptop has a good new battery you might get an hour or so powering both, then if your camera has firewire you can run that off its own battery. It's not going to be fantastic quality, but you will be totally wireless. You may also end up with audio video sync issues.

For streaming I use a Red5 server setup, which is fine if you've a decent server and the patience/command line voodoo to set it up. The bundled oflademo application works with Flash Media Live Encoder, then you just need to use something like jwplayer or flowplayer on the receiving end.
Old 10th September 2011
Old 12th September 2011
All really great ideas. I'm gonna keep this way down $$ wise. Using stageit.com and my mini lappy pc. Have a external USB HD cam. Now about a mic. One step above the lappy internal mic, how about a simple lapel clip-on corded mic to catch both my vocals and an ukulele or an acoustic guitar, or maybe a corded inexpensive something mic that can catch both but not too much surrounding noise?

Tried using the HD cam on my Android with some live streaming sites, but most sites like qik, ustream and livestream are way too laggy, and of course the audio is marginal. Tech support is almost non existent haven't gotten a straight answer from them for a week now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search