The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thank you H4n Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Thank you H4n

Thanks H4n for increasing my business....
With the recent increase of the DSLR shooters (mostly sill photographers) its interesting that things are turning a full circle.
Over the past year or so Ive chatted to any person I see shooting video on a DSLR and eventually handed them my business card, in the last 2 weeks I have picked up 3 new clients (DSLR guys) and why?.... I didn't rubbish the H4n all I said "if you having trouble with the audio side of things give me a call"
Now all 3 of these guys have gone down the path of the H4n mounting it on top of the DSLR and using the inbuilt stereo mics.... now they realise how bad it sounds... Then they went to a short Rode mono video mic... and still not happy, they then called me to solve the problems.
I agreed to do a shoot with them with my full audio kit and to there surprise it sounded much better than they ever expected or could could achieve themselves.
What I delivered to them was properly ID & slated tracks with a clapper board, the mic placed on the talent in the correct position, with radio mics that worked well and with little or no wind noise at the correct level with track 2 down 3db for a backup track.
I have now 3 totally committed clients each shooting 1-2 days a week (at my FULL day rates) and with each of them come 10-15 of their clients as well.

One could now say "I'm as busy as a one armed wall paper hanger"

Moral of the story NEVER slam or diminish another persons gear, show an interest in what they are doing and eventually they will understand.

Thanks Zoom for the H4n !!!!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Great for you heh
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Awesome! Good business advise in general. If you try to tell them the work they're doing is terrible, they're gonna get defensive about it and never want your product/service, even after they do realize they need the help. People want to feel good about themselves.

Cheers!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bit smug.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good for you, "unfortunately" indie guys around here know how to use it good enough...

This documentary or "making of" of a certain indie music compilation was made with exactly that kind of set-up - DSLR and H4n duct taped on top of it. There is noise issue only with one guy that talks really silent and "into" himself and camera with H4 was a bit far away, but still - the noise of the hall was also high, so it blends into ambient noise. If they would use something like Rode NTG-2 plugged into H4n, the results would be just perfect.

Watch in HD: Gustaf Hits 010 [hd] - YouTube

I don't get jobs from guys like that, only the ones with real cameras, making pro documentaries (and even for them I used H4 with some external mics on occasion , but usually the production companies bring their Nagras and I get only hired to do the recording)... H4n works for "DSLR" guys here...

Another DIY guys pulling it off well with H4n, Sony HDR-XR500 and CX11: Earth Song Michael Jackson Mandolin Orchestra Zupforchester Cover - YouTube

and another succesful use that would not need your services: In The Pines (Guitar and Mandolin) - YouTube

Works fine for those:

Film + Sound test, 5D MKII + Zoom H4n - YouTube

And tests - RODE NTG-2 with Zoom H4n is surely suited for documentary work:

5d mark 2, Rode NTG 2, ZOOM h4n, Cinestyle picture style - YouTube

Rode NTG-2 + H4n Audio test - YouTube

Just illustrating - it depends for what, who (what knowledge) and HOW they use it...

But yeah, lucky you, just it's not H4n's fault or credit, but the guys' using it.
Old 6th September 2011
What I heard was, "they were using the H4n, and realized how bad it was." So you are thanking zoom for for having these people believe they don't need you in the first place when before the zoom they probably would have hired an audio guy first and not even try the DIY rout? Or were you being sarcastic?

You should be patting yourself on the back for your tact when dealing with customers.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

The DSLR guys were assuming the H4n would solve all their audio problems but a mic (any mic) that's 2-3m away from talent will always sound poor.
These guys are Photographers and finding the transition to Videographers greater than they expected. They have now realised that some of the jobs they need an extra person to look after the sound... so why not use a sound guy that comes with the gear needed.
Nothing wrong with the quality of the H4n its way above what we used to use (Nagra 4.2 analogue tape @ 3-3/4 or 7-1/2 ips) and a Betacam camera.
99% of the shoots I do are for broadcast TV or these days Internet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search