The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good?
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Do you think we should poke Roger with the idea of a podium style, short gooseneck version of the CM4, perhaps a 30cm extension between capsule and body? I might be wrong but since the element is an Electret, there shouldn't be major issues with the capsule being separated from the head amp. It would make the capsule pretty much invisible on stage when placed carefully.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, let's poke Roger.

A version for acoustic guitar, too, please.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Do you think we should poke Roger with the idea of a podium style, short gooseneck version of the CM4, perhaps a 30cm extension between capsule and body? I might be wrong but since the element is an Electret, there shouldn't be major issues with the capsule being separated from the head amp. It would make the capsule pretty much invisible on stage when placed carefully.
Super idea!

If it goes in that direction, why not also a cable, like the Schoeps KC-5/10?
I'm sure the CM-4 'll have success as a spot on live orchestra recordings and a cable would also be cool... even if the microphone is already really small!

Fred
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Yeah, let's poke Roger.

A version for acoustic guitar, too, please.
Meaning what, a contact???
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Super idea!

If it goes in that direction, why not also a cable, like the Schoeps KC-5/10?
I'm sure the CM-4 'll have success as a spot on live orchestra recordings and a cable would also be cool... even if the microphone is already really small!

Fred
I'll forward the idea.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Meaning what, a contact???
Nope, short(ish) gooseneck plus attachment, à la DPA 4099.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Nope, short(ish) gooseneck plus attachment, à la DPA 4099.
Ah, OK. We'll see what Roger says.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
If Roger could package his CM4 into a stand like this, at a sensible price:

https://schoeps.de/en/products/acces...tte-tubes.html

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/mze-8060

....he'd sell a set of 4-8 to every budget-conscious recordist here... who ever had (or still has) ongoing battles with video people or stage managers/hall management about "spot-mic stand visibility"

The hardware involved is not a million miles distant from that made by home lighting stores...even IKEA ! They could be fitted with thin shielded cabling external to the tubing...they wouldn't have to be 'active' (ie internally) wired, like the Schoeps or Sennheiser equivalents.

That is an immediately viable market...just based on GS contributors to this forum alone !

Last edited by studer58; 16th July 2019 at 05:50 PM..
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Used four cm3s for a live event this am to mike a cello and three violinists --who were happy with the sound.

And the mics are visually unobtrusive for photo purposes.

There's probably a DIY way to fabricate a stand using carbon fiber since my impression is Roger is already busy building mics.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Used four cm3s for a live event this am to mike a cello and three violinists --who were happy with the sound.

And the mics are visually unobtrusive for photo purposes.

There's probably a DIY way to fabricate a stand using carbon fiber since my impression is Roger is already busy building mics.
Yep, the DIY alternative is definitely viable for the CM3....

New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics

But that doesn't stop one wishing that Roger could outsource and diversify a little, to embrace the discreet stand market...
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Some kind of Schoeps colette system, but with K&M stuff for solo voice (with a CM-4):
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-20190716_190140.jpg  
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yep, the DIY alternative is definitely viable for the CM3....

New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics

But that doesn't stop one wishing that Roger could outsource and diversify a little, to embrace the discreet stand market...
Curious as to how you're attaching the mic clips to those Ikea light stands. I'd be shocked if they came standard with 5/8" threads.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
And the mics are visually unobtrusive for photo purposes..
Agree 100% on the mics themselves....it's the typical stand that's the problem. That's where the Schoeps Colette/Sennheiser MKH8000 series extension tube systems really triumph....at significant cost.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Curious as to how you're attaching the mic clips to those Ikea light stands. I'd be shocked if they came standard with 5/8" threads.
IKEA...5/8 threads....you gotta be joking ! No, you have go into your own garage /work shed, and get into creative handyman DIY mode

Here ya go...: elegant tall mic stand... by IKEA
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Some kind of Schoeps colette system, but with K&M stuff for solo voice (with a CM-4):
Nice hybrid approach Fred !
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
IKEA...5/8 threads....you gotta be joking ! No, you have go into your own garage /work shed, and get into creative handyman DIY mode

Here ya go...: elegant tall mic stand... by IKEA
Okay, I'm hosed.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

I very much doubt that he'll consider a complete rig (meaning mic stand included). When I get a response I'll let you know.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Okay, I'm hosed.
You mean you have no workbench or shed ? You could even do this kind of DIY on your kitchen table, in an apartment...almost !
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean you have no workbench or shed ? You could even do this kind of DIY on your kitchen table, in an apartment...almost !
I'm right at home at my soldering station and tinkering around with circuit boards, but anything that involves wood, metal, plastic, sawing, drilling, straight lines, fitting things together—not my forte.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

What about this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

For ultimate discretion, gaff taping CM3s to the floor, music stand, or piano lid works well. I once recorded a show with ballet dancers and musicians moving on and off stage continuously. I taped a pair of CM3s to the stage lip in NOS, leaving a small gap of tape under the mic for shock absorption. It sounded surprisingly good.

Last edited by A.alden; 17th July 2019 at 02:45 AM..
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Fred, I like how minimal this is -- can you clarify whether the boom arm is a K&M item, or are you simply using the base and clamp with an extension rod? If I'm not mistaken, their "low profile floor stand" still includes some additional hardware for extending the boom...

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry to take us a bit off topic.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I very much doubt that he'll consider a complete rig (meaning mic stand included). When I get a response I'll let you know.
Hey JP,
do you think that he will work on an hyper cardioid and a figure of 8 version ?

as well as a clever mount for ms / blumlein..

and maybe also a nice snare/tom mount that clips to the rim but you can adjust the distance and the height.. seems to me that there's not really a good solution, where you could place the mic with the right angle and distance..

Cheu
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Hey JP,
do you think that he will work on an hyper cardioid and a figure of 8 version ?

as well as a clever mount for ms / blumlein..

and maybe also a nice snare/tom mount that clips to the rim but you can adjust the distance and the height.. seems to me that there's not really a good solution, where you could place the mic with the right angle and distance..

Cheu
A more directional version of teh CM4 is possible but don't hold your breath, it could take years. A fig-8 is probably not going to happen. As for the clip mount... Line Audio is a microphone design company so don't hope for accessories... I'm sure there are options you haven't looked at, there's so much on the market today.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A more directional version of teh CM4 is possible but don't hold your breath, it could take years. A fig-8 is probably not going to happen. As for the clip mount... Line Audio is a microphone design company so don't hope for accessories... I'm sure there are options you haven't looked at, there's so much on the market today.
Thanks!

an hyper cardioid with a tight pattern might be a good snare/toms mic..
especially due to the the small and light nature of this mic.
although I don't know how they deal with high spl levels (in close position to drums)..as Overheads they have absolutely no problem

tons of options regarding mounting drum clips, in my opinion not one that give me the flexibility to position, angle and distance the mic as I need/want with a rather compact clip that stays in place with no issues (ala senny 604 or shure with screw)..

back to the thread..

Cheu
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

... I think you found the starting point of a small business venture
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It suddenly came to me that I recently found this one:
https://www.gravitystands.com/en/pro...23-xlr-b?c=611
In Europe for sale for about €60.
Regards,
Peter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On the remotely attached capsule design, Roger basically concluded "...maybe doable. Some time." So again - don't hold your breath.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Recently I've done a recording of a group consisting three baroque violins, baroque cello, violone and a cembalo in a nice castle hall.

CM3 as a main pair into a Mixpre. 40cm, 20 degrees more less.
Processing - since the violins stood in the line from front to the back, cembalo was in the middle so no place to make a semi circle I did some manipulation to round it a bit - so + 1db in the Mid and pan a some what to the right just of the Side what placed the last violin more to the middle of th image (MS processing). Reverb.

Wondering how do you like it. Would you use any EQ on this example? I was quite close to the group because of the public, so have a feeling that even those CM3s sound overdetailed here.Bit of the warmth would be nice?
Attached Files

Guido GS.mp3 (1.54 MB, 346 views)

Last edited by Stradivariusz; 1 week ago at 09:43 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds really nice to my ears. The violone gets a little washed out on the fast passages, but I love the sound of the hall. Nice job.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds really nice to my ears. The violone gets a little washed out on the fast passages, but I love the sound of the hall. Nice job.
Thank you, Sean, for you reaction. Violone is indeed totally washed. Placement of this instrument was very unlucky - very far away, right from the cembalo, so the clarity of the base line comes mainly from the cello and there is a little more low end which violone brings in. It's not that powerful instrument as a double bass and this is clear here. Violins were standing, cello player was sitting of course, so distatnce from cello to the microphones was bigger than this from the first and even the second violin. Couldn't find a solution to get in this circumstances clearer bow bass instruments sound...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search