The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I don't think film work is the best application for the cm3. I would choose a shotgun for better side noise rejection. You would need a very good shockmount as well because of potential handling noise. That said, I love my Cm3's!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It will be difficult to get outdoors sounds out of the signal as the pattern is quite wide, at least at "normal" distances... but again, it all depends on conditions.
Old 2 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I think the reason it came up is the the Schoeps MK41 is widely used in Hollywood for indoor dialogue recording, and since the CM-3 has been compared favourably with the MK41 here and elsewhere it's natural to wonder whether the CM-3 could compete in this application as well. I plan to test it; for outdoor work I'm using a Sennheiser MKH-8060 but I have a couple of CM-3s and will see how they fare for indoor interviews with the Sennheiser as a backup.
Exactly!
Old 2 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
I don't think film work is the best application for the cm3. I would choose a shotgun for better side noise rejection. You would need a very good shockmount as well because of potential handling noise. That said, I love my Cm3's!
"Depends"

I'm a professional sound recordist for film, and while I use shotguns a lot they're only one tool in my arsenal and I certainly don't use them all the time.
Old 10 minutes ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
I've had the CM3's for many years and use them often...I will say that they are quite sensitive to mic-stand borne vibration, and really benefit from good shock mounting.

I'd imagine this caveat would be multiplied several x where film work is involved, either with boom pole or outdoor locations w/ wind buffeting ?

Whether this down to their extremely low mass body, or inadequate isolation between mic capsule and body I don't know...but there it is

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search