The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Simple....CM3 pair, NOS, nice church acoustic, talented string quartet, classic pop tune, no added 'verb or compression...leave it at that
Sweet!
Old 25th December 2017
Gear Nut
Some holiday cheer, recorded with 2 CM-3 close mic’ed on the piano, a DAV BG-8 and Antelope Goliath:
Old 25th December 2017
Lives for gear

Great recording. Care to give us the whole line-up?
Old 25th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Great recording. Care to give us the whole line-up?
Thank you, would love to but I was short on time since this was just recorded last weekend. I can probably get to two more. The performance was spotty in parts since it was live and in front of a decent size audience. There were a couple of times the vocalist would drop her voice to get the crowd to participate in the ceiling, which was great for the live experience but not so much for the recording. :-) Hope you all have a great holiday.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrshv80 View Post
Thank you, would love to but I was short on time since this was just recorded last weekend. I can probably get to two more. The performance was spotty in parts since it was live and in front of a decent size audience. There were a couple of times the vocalist would drop her voice to get the crowd to participate in the ceiling, which was great for the live experience but not so much for the recording. :-) Hope you all have a great holiday.
Thanks for the personnel. I should have been more clear, though. I was asking about the gear line-up, too. What else and how?
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks for the personnel. I should have been more clear, though. I was asking about the gear line-up, too. What else and how?
Sure, it was a D.A.V. BG-8 8-channel pre-amp on the snare, 2 main piano tracks,overheads, vocalist, trumpet and saxophone (featured on other songs)

The DAV pre-amp outs were running into the Antelope Audio Goliath DB-25 analog inputs. The toms, kick and other piano are running through the Goliath pre-amps.

I had a spaced pair of Line Audio CM-3s close-miked on the piano toward the tail facing forward but also close to the strings to increase isolation. (see attached). The left mic is looking toward the hammer over the middle to upper middle octave strings while the right mic is facing the upper bass string hammers. Since these are wide cardioids they are probably picking up some lid reflections as well.

Since I had to amplify Pippi Ardennia, the singer, over the rest of the band I used a Shure Beta58 for her to isolate as much possible. I used one line from the Goliath analog output directly into a Behringer X18 mixer to give her a monitor signal and then FOH output to two QSC K12s. I barely amplified her over the band as I did not want to record a lot of the room's 2 second reverb bleed.

I used an Audio Technica ATM350a clip-on mic for the cornet with some slight reverb from the Steinberg Cubase Revenation reverb plug-in. Same reverb goes for the singer and a slight amount on the piano.

I used two padded Shure KSM141s on the drum overheads as closely miked as I could to the cymbals without the drummer hitting them. It's such a live room that you really have to close-mic the drum kit. I used a Beta 57 on the snare, two Sennheiser 421s on the toms and a Beta 52 on the kick. I ran out of time to mic the hi hat.

For piano FX, I used The Antelope Goliath FPGA hardware insert Altec 436C compressor for saturation with a smidge of compression and fast release. Next, a SMT-100A tube leveling amplifier with just a slight -2b of gain reduction, medium gain, medium attack and fast release. This takes a bit of edge off the piano. Post compressor I have a BAE 1073 compressor with a small boost at 220 Hz and a small roll-off at 10kHz.

On the vocal I used the Antelope DBX903 compressor to level out her voice a bit combined with a BA-6A limiting amplifier just for saturation. The thing sounds huge on some sources! I used the Studer 900 equalizer to take some edge out at 3.5 khz and mud at 200 hz.

For electric bass, I used a Neve DI box and routed it directly into the Goliath and used a slight amount of compression within Cubase.

Rather than continuing to write a novel. I decided to post screenshots of the settings for the remaining channels. The active FX channel is the green number in the channel list across the top of the screen capture. There was also a clarinet and sax player but have not had a chance to get to those songs yet.

Antelope Audio FPGA FX guide for Screen Captures:
Channel 3 (Snare) and Channel 4 (Kick Drum)
Channel 13 (Trumpet)
Channel 11 (Floor Tom)
Channel 12 (Rack Tom)
Channel 5 & 6 (Overheads - Stereo Linked)
Channel 15 & 16 - Channel Bus out

Main Piano: Yamaha C3
2nd Piano: Yamaha baby grand
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.50.42-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.51.14-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.51.38-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.52.22-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.52.59-am.jpg  

CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.53.50-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.58.12-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.55.18-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.56.12-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.57.08-am.jpg  

CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.57.56-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.52.59-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.53.50-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-1.00.41-am.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-screen-shot-2017-12-12-12.59.54-am.jpg  

Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

That's some line-up! Thanks for the detailed response. The CM3's were getting the royal treatment. The whole track sounds great.
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
That's some line-up! Thanks for the detailed response. The CM3's were getting the royal treatment. The whole track sounds great.
Thank you, I have heard some of your work as well and you do a terrific job!
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
I forgot to mention, I posted a couple of a videos a week or two ago of the same band but with non-holiday original music. I used the same basic template but likely a little difference with the EQing.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

here are some samples of my CM3 on a classical guitar:

what do you think?
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Nut

@konstantine, what I think is that was the best three minutes of my day.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post
@konstantine, what I think is that was the best three minutes of my day.
Hah, me too! I also love your "what's in my gig bag?" video. Nice work!
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Really nice! The un-hyped CM-3 serves the classical guitar well. Of course, the way you play, I think a pair of 57's would do just fine.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post

what do you think?
Very, very nice! Both the playing and recording!

-Mike
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Good job!
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you DeReid! I hope that you didn't just woke up 3 minutes earlier!

seanmccoy, I appreciate your kind words. Thats what I like about the CM3s for classical guitar and other acoustic instruments as well.

Thanks for checking my other video(s) Bradh!

Mike and Jerard, I'm glad you liked it!

Konstantine
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks for checking my other video(s) Bradh!
Your videos are great. I especially like the footage in your CM3 video; are you shooting all this video yourself? What camera(s) are you using? The video quality is really good. I am teetering on the brink of buying a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for video, but whatever you're using here is quite nice.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Your videos are great. I especially like the footage in your CM3 video; are you shooting all this video yourself? What camera are you using? The video quality is really good. I am teetering on the brink of buying a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for video, but whatever you're using here is quite nice.
I only recently got into photography/filmography with a Nikon 3400 kit and a couple of extra lenses (35mm and 50mm), I guess being a DSLR is not ideal for video but I quite like it and I'm learning with it, so hopefully I'm getting better at filming and editing.

I'm sure that you can get great results with the Blackmagic!

Konstantine
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I only recently got into photography/filmography with a Nikon 3400 kit and a couple of extra lenses (35mm and 50mm), I guess being a DSLR is not ideal for video but I quite like it and I'm learning with it, so hopefully I'm getting better at filming and editing.
Thanks, that's very impressive. The outdoor video in particular is very rich and film-like; if you're only just beginning I'd say you are off to a fantastic start!
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Nut

That was very nice, Konstantine. I only wish I coud be a musician of any sort. I guess thats why I try to capture that vibe.

more classical guitar, a duet.
[email protected]º
in front of them by about 2'
The Air Conditioning system makes its presence known as well. Such is life in SoCal.
This is a couple of minutes of the end of a Rodrigo concerto, performed by a guitar duet:
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-dscn3964.jpg  
Attached Files

[email protected]º.mp3 (5.53 MB, 1518 views)

Last edited by Moke; 5th January 2018 at 01:57 AM..
Old 4th January 2018
Very nice to hear all these different CM3 recordings! Both guitar recordings remind me how much I like the Line Audios on stringed instruments in general.

I love mine and use them all the time, though usually as spots. Here's one example I did find using just a NOS pair -- albeit in a situation which forced less-than-ideal placement. The scene is young chamber musicians playing duets in a very cramped and busy restaurant. No EQ or other processing, just +8dB gain (and MP3 compression).
Attached Files

trident.mp3 (2.55 MB, 1734 views)

Old 4th January 2018
Deleted User
Another guitar music sample made with Line Audio microhpones. A quartet in a nice medium concert hall. Some eq, compression/limiting and reverb.

I use Schoeps and Neumann sdc as a main pair nowadays, but have ten Line Audio babes which I like very much.
Attached Files

Guitar4.mp3 (1.33 MB, 1714 views)

Last edited by Empiria; 4th January 2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

I'm a flute player (not classical, but traditional Irish and Breton music on wooden simple-system flute; these are the classical flutes that were played in orchestras before the Boehm system was invented in the mid-late 1800s). I've tried quite a few mics with my flute over the past 20 years, and so far the CM3 is my favorite. It captures the sound very realistically. I've been using two in ORTF, placed slightly above the flute and pointing down (to avoid breath hitting the mics); still experimenting with the optimum distance as I've only had my CM3s for a month or so.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm a flute player (not classical, but traditional Irish and Breton music on wooden simple-system flute; these are the classical flutes that were played in orchestras before the Boehm system was invented in the mid-late 1800s). I've tried quite a few mics with my flute over the past 20 years, and so far the CM3 is my favorite. It captures the sound very realistically. I've been using two in ORTF, placed slightly above the flute and pointing down (to avoid breath hitting the mics); still experimenting with the optimum distance as I've only had my CM3s for a month or so.
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what other mics have you used on flute that the CM-3's are now beating?
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what other mics have you used on flute that the CM-3's are now beating?
A few different Neumann and Audio-Technica mics used in various recording studios (I wasn't the engineer so don't remember what those were), my own Earthworks mics (a matched pair of QTC-40 omnis and also my SR-30 cardioid mics), and (don't laugh) my Shure Beta-58a, which actually sounds pretty great even for recordings although it's supposed to be a live performance mic.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the mics themselves that are better; it could be simply that I may have stumbled on the ideal (for me) setup of using slightly wide cardioids in ORTF to record my flute, which I've never done before trying it with the CM3s.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few different Neumann and Audio-Technica mics used in various recording studios (I wasn't the engineer so don't remember what those were), my own Earthworks mics (a matched pair of QTC-40 omnis and also my SR-30 cardioid mics), and (don't laugh) my Shure Beta-58a, which actually sounds pretty great even for recordings although it's supposed to be a live performance mic.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the mics themselves that are better; it could be simply that I may have stumbled on the ideal (for me) setup of using slightly wide cardioids in ORTF to record my flute, which I've never done before trying it with the CM3s.
I've never been a fan of SDC's or stereo recording on flute, but I haven't recorded one since I got my CM-3's. I work with a very talented local flutist who plays every version of the instrument that ever existed and is into mic experimentation, so I'll get a chance to give them a go in the near future.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've never been a fan of SDC's or stereo recording on flute, but I haven't recorded one since I got my CM-3's.
I forgot to mention my "Hulk" mic from Michael Joly (Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly), which is a large-diaphragm cardioid and I admit that it gives the CM3s some strong competition for about the same price as two CM3s. The flute does sound fantastic on that mic, but for some reason the CM3s in ORTF managed to capture the exact sound I've been seeking in flute recordings all these years with no EQ or anything else.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot to mention my "Hulk" mic from Michael Joly (Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly), which is a large-diaphragm cardioid and I admit that it gives the CM3s some strong competition for about the same price as two CM3s. The flute does sound fantastic on that mic, but for some reason the CM3s in ORTF managed to capture the exact sound I've been seeking in flute recordings all these years with no EQ or anything else.
Funny, I literally just finished a voiceover session where I used my Joly-modded NT1a with the MJE-K47 capsule. It doesn't generally beat my 1972 U-87, but with certain voices like this particular woman, it's perfect. Since it's definitely a 'character' mic, I wouldn't have even thought to compare it with the very transparent CM-3.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Since it's definitely a 'character' mic, I wouldn't have even thought to compare it with the very transparent CM-3.
That's why I "forgot" to mention it, but it does sound pretty great on the flute. I'm pretty sure I used it on this very quick multi-track piece I made up and recorded on the spot last year, sitting in my office with the Joly mic connected to my computer via a Mackie Blackjack. Not the greatest sound quality, but I thought the flute sounded good.

Lament by BradHurley | Brad Hurley | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:

what do you think?
@konstantine - that was terrific. Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search