The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Whates View Post
the CM3 is definitely not leaving anything to be desired.
Hi Douglas. I suppose you've already used other mics (as schoeps, neumann..), but could you confirm ?

Thx
WIlli
Old 6th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willi1203 View Post
Hi Douglas. I suppose you've already used other mics (as schoeps, neumann..), but could you confirm ?

Thx
WIlli
Yes, of course. I have owned and used Schoeps MK4, MK21 and MK22 extensively. MK2 less extensively, but still a lot.

Neumann, used a lot in the studio, not so much on location.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrit View Post
The great difference for me, though, isn't this rumble, but rather overall sound and hiss (noise level).
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
A small amount of noise removal processing is sufficient for solving this issue. I have processed in this way the CM3 right channel, to be compared to the MK 21 right channel but I encounter some difficulty for uploading them now on the site. I will try later on.
Do you hear so much difference now ?

Samples from Ifrit:
Attached Files

CM3.mp3 (4.42 MB, 3115 views)

MK21.mp3 (4.42 MB, 2869 views)

Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

I ran a NOS CMC64 and CM3 pair together. The CM3's were taped to the Schoeps. I was not overly impressed in this initial test. But the venue was bad and I will try some more tests. If I get a good pull I will post the CM3's along with the Schoeps, or Peluso, whatever. They seem very good for the money and good in their own right.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
They seem very good for the money and good in their own right.
They are indeed....in fact I'd say the only thing not right about them is the shiny stainless screw holding the body to the xlr connector, couldn't it have been a black one instead, to match the rest of the mic ? Substitution is very easy, btw
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
They are indeed....in fact I'd say the only thing not right about them is the shiny stainless screw holding the body to the xlr connector, couldn't it have been a black one instead, to match the rest of the mic ? Substitution is very easy, btw
Dab of Sharpie ink? Apply as needed...

BTW... the photo on the website has a rather LARGE logo and other info either screened or etched into the black body. Seems that might be a bit more visually alarming than the setscrew... and not that either would be noticed high atop a stand in a ORTF array in shockmounts...
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear
yes, it's actually beautifully etched in, so that it looks almost silk screened...a really refined touch, although it covers a reasonable surface area. You could apply a strip of gaffa, or just rotate it to point skywards in an ORTF setting and indeed no-one would be aware !
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, I have constant problems with CM3's sensitivity for vibrations...

I must say that in the same conditions I never had any problem with any other mic - but maybe all other mics I had a chance of using didn't go that low... or whatever...

A simple qustion - which Rykote suspension is compatible with the little buggers... or any cheaper but effective enough solution... the cheap .bone one ( the t.bone SSM6 Shock Mount ) doesn't do the trick. So it has to be a bit better...
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Hi again! I'll be happy to send you the previously discussed Line Audio shockmounts which will take care of any vibration issue you might have. Just let me know...
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

That mount looks like it may interfere acoustically with the mic-lots of stuff surrounding that mic.

But I haven't used it, so perhaps I'm wrong.

This may seem like a negative comment-actually, it's meant more as a curiosity question.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

It's a good question but so far users haven't mentionned this. The problem, as you point out, is that any shockmount is going to create some acoustic interference... so we're in for a compromise. Merry Christmas to all!!!!
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rather than start a new thread, just thought I'd post here.

Very, very happy with the CM3 pair I ordered. Absolutely incredible. Of course, the longevity and durability remains to be seen, but in terms of sonics... wow!

Listen to a piano and bass recording here:

Just the one pair, completely dry, no EQ.
A few of you had asked me to say when this album is available. Well, I just wanted to say it now completed and you can hear it in its entirety here: Mira Opalinska or Opalinska & Whates

[ Yes, this is a bit of a spam-ish post, I admit, but the whole album does use just the single pair of CM3 mics, so it's not completely irrelevant ]

Douglas.

P.S. still absolutely loving these mics.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Doug, I am listening to the Blade Runner theme as I write. Beautifully done. But there seems to be a lot of extraneous noise in the track. Footsteps or something? The playing is lovely. It raises the music a level. The bass playing is just right, too.

The mics are so good. It all works.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Doug, I am listening to the Blade Runner theme as I write. Beautifully done. But there seems to be a lot of extraneous noise in the track. Footsteps or something? The playing is lovely. It raises the music a level. The bass playing is just right, too.

The mics are so good. It all works.
Thanks for the complements -- glad you like it.

RE: footsteps. I know exactly what you're hearing. It's not footsteps, but rather the sound of the piano mechanism. There is some very, very quiet playing on the album, and the opening of that particular tune, Blade Runner, is amongst the quietest playing. I mean, extremely quiet. Like... it would be hard to hear from the front row in a concert hall! There's no compression on the recording (and the mic pre-amp gain was set the same throughout), so if you listen to a louder piece, you'll see how quiet those passages are by comparison.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

^ gorgeous music and recording

Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ gorgeous music and recording

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Great job Douglas, I don't think I'm the only one who'd like to know about how you recorded those pieces, can you share some info on your setup? Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Great job Douglas, I don't think I'm the only one who'd like to know about how you recorded those pieces, can you share some info on your setup? Thanks!
Well the setup is described in detail with pictures earlier in this thread (Spaced pair 90 degrees and about 25 cm apart).

I must compliment on the fantastic sound. It's really quite astounding and I'm thinking of doing something similar next month when I'm recording a jazz album with a friend of mine. Thanks for great music and a very good product endorsement
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
Superb Douglass

What would you have more or less with good omnis ? It seems you could have use in the same disposition omnis, no ?
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Glad you're enjoying the sounds.

Yes, it's the same setup I described earlier in the thread (pics from the session here). Pre-amp gain remained unchanged throughout the session. There's no EQ, no compression. Everything au naturel.

About the omni comment. I think ominis could also work, although I would speculate the imaging would have been a touch less focused. We wanted to go for a really intimate sound here. I had originally hoped to do it with a blumlein pair of ribbons, but circumstances didn't allow for that.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few of you had asked me to say when this album is available. Well, I just wanted to say it now completed and you can hear it in its entirety here: Mira Opalinska or Opalinska & Whates

[ Yes, this is a bit of a spam-ish post, I admit, but the whole album does use just the single pair of CM3 mics, so it's not completely irrelevant ]

Douglas.

P.S. still absolutely loving these mics.
Very nice... is it possible to post a short high resolution clip? I hear some aliasing or some other high frequency artifacts on those songs in Soundcloud. Would like to hear it without that. But even so - very nice project and sound.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Very nice... is it possible to post a short high resolution clip? I hear some aliasing or some other high frequency artifacts on those songs in Soundcloud. Would like to hear it without that. But even so - very nice project and sound.
The Soundcloud mp3 stream is 128kbps, so yeah - lots of unwanted extras (but surprisingly bearable for mp3s).
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
These mics remind me somewhat of the Naiant company's mics, in terms of the kind of company and the manufacturing method. And the "not much bigger than an XLR connector" thing. But when I bought my Naiants some years back they were radically cheaper than these CM3's. And stupidly good at the price. Omnis though.
This is the association that jumped to my mind too.

Naiant's mics are fabulous; I own a pair of the X omnis. The quality of manufacture is top notch. They are built by one guy in a small shop, and he is dedicated to turning out the highest quality work. He does so consistently.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Douglas, thanks for the pics and description!!!
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm aware that there is a fair bit of hype around these microphones (and I'm sure that's not what JP Gerard, given his company ethos). As much as I love the CM3, I'd just like to keep a level head about them. I would comment that they are not some sort of miracle microphone, but rather a very capable pair of microphones for very reasonable money. I have found them, so far, to be neither better nor worse than much more expensive microphones. The CM3 is its own microphone with a rather distinctive sound and pickup. What they do, they seem to do well. Could you compare it to a Schoeps MK21? Well, you could, but the pickup is different. It would be a bit like comparing the MK21 to a MK22 capsule and trying to decide which is best. There is no best in this circumstance; it depends on the intended application.

(And one aspect that must not be overlooked... the longevity and reliability of the CM3 microphone is something we don't know yet. That's one of the things you pay for when you buy into Schoeps -- a proven reliable track record.)
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Douglas, thanks for the pics and description!!!
You're welcome!
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

(And one aspect that must not be overlooked... the longevity and reliability of the CM3 microphone is something we don't know yet. That's one of the things you pay for when you buy into Schoeps -- a proven reliable track record.)
So far I have not heard of a faulty mic from Line Audio. What I do know is that everybody loves them and they sell out in no time. I sold my pair to a friend over a year ago with the intention of buying two new pairs. I have not been able to buy new pairs yet because to do that I need to visit the shop the same week they get delivery and I have had timing problems. :-)

Line Audio has been in the business since 1987 and I've never heard a bad thing about them or their products.

They are low priced (CM3).. buy two pairs instead of one and feel safe with those extra two mic's or call/write to Line Audio and ask for their returns numbers.

/Peter
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
So far I have not heard of a faulty mic from Line Audio. What I do know is that everybody loves them and they sell out in no time. I sold my pair to a friend over a year ago with the intention of buying two new pairs. I have not been able to buy new pairs yet because to do that I need to visit the shop the same week they get delivery and I have had timing problems. :-)

Line Audio has been in the business since 1987 and I've never heard a bad thing about them or their products.

They are low priced (CM3).. buy two pairs instead of one and feel safe with those extra two mic's or call/write to Line Audio and ask for their returns numbers.

/Peter
Good to know.
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

And finally I had luck, the shop had CM3's on the shelf when I passed by.

So now I am a happy owner of a quad of CM3's which is a very fine "add on" to my collection.

/Peter
Old 11th February 2012
A recording done with a trio of cm3. spaced pair up top and one at the foot of the stage. DAV preamps.
Attached Files

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search