The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hat View Post
I hear you Sir, but I stand by my point. And I don't always put clarity and tightness first in, let's say, romantic or impressionistic solo piano. But, tight clear bass is the Bechstein trademark, having the bass strings fanned rather than in parallel, which is an advantage over the competition. I'd agree that a smaller grand (than 2.00 m) would be too unclear for professional use.
I've got to agree with Douglas that you cannot compete with a D for the bass register (though the B gets close), and also that "hard and cold" is something describing the sound qualities of one particular instrument (or in some unfortunate cases, an entire brand range). There are certainly pianos I'd call hard and cold, but the D (or any Steinway for that matter) does not sound like that at all, unless there is something wrong with the instrument.

To clarify my original comment: The B (or equivalent size in other brands) can be and often is just the right piano for the job. Yes, all other things being equal (condition, maintenance, etc.) the D is a step up, but perhaps because of space or expense the B is chosen, and it has never let me down when I've played one, particularly in smaller spaces.

All that said, I feel that if we're going to continue a piano discussion, it would be best done in the thread where that was going on a while back, and leave this thread to CM3 discussion.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...n-sonatas.html
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Nut

Hi there,

I own a pair of CM3 myself but I normally use a pair of KM184 as main stereo pair (ORTF) or a pair of NT5 (omni AB). I was wondering what your favourite stereo techniques are with the CM3 being wide cardioid.

Thanks. Daniel
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Is this the correct email addy for ordering? [email protected]

I emailed last week about purchasing but have heard nothing back.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Roger is possibly still overwhelmed, I know he's constantly busy manufacturing... you can Email me too, I have them in stock. [email protected]
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Roger is possibly still overwhelmed, I know he's constantly busy manufacturing... you can Email me too, I have them in stock. [email protected]
Ah ok, thanks. Just checked your site, you're a bit pricier than him, but I understand that. If he doesn't get back to me soon I may come to you. Cheers.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Ah? It's true that the Euro and USD have been going up and down lately, so throwing the SEK into the mix it's possible that some online prices are off by a couple of %. I'll take a look tonight, thanks for the heads up!
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Ah? It's true that the Euro and USD have been going up and down lately, so throwing the SEK into the mix it's possible that some online prices are off by a couple of %. I'll take a look tonight, thanks for the heads up!
Not only that but direct from Line Audio the price includes shipping, yours is 16 euros ish to the UK. Your actual mic cost might be the same I didn't do that calculation - just the total (2 mics plus shipping - difference of about 20 euros)
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Right, but I only ship fully insured parcels with tracking, I don't ship using regular mail, sorry. Line Audio's website states: "Fully insured Postal parcel with reduced the cost of 150 SEK (≈18 euro) per order". So then we're about the same. I thought about offering free shipping using regular mail to European customers. But the typical hassles for both the customer and me outweighed the savings, although the price difference wouldn't be much as the thickness of the padded envelope would be over 3cm so I'd be shipping using the cheapest Postal service without insurance... I still wouldn't save much, for a much lesser service. I prefer to offer a discounted fully insured service with tracking and bombproof packing. However I understand that some will have a different view on this. Roger's a saint! He's overworked and very generous indeed. Oh, and a genius of a designer. I unfortunately have a tighter cashflow it seems ;O)
Old 14th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Not only that but direct from Line Audio the price includes shipping, yours is 16 euros ish to the UK. Your actual mic cost might be the same I didn't do that calculation - just the total (2 mics plus shipping - difference of about 20 euros)
I ordered a pair of cm3 mics from nohype on ebay, that price is good for tracked insured shipping, he can also update you on exactly when new ones are available which I really liked, the guy that makes them is far too busy for that.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
I certainly wasn't complaining or bemoaning the costs - just noting that the overall price was a little higher. Having choices is good, especially for peace of mind re tracking / insurance etc.

But costs are a primary factor for me atm, so I will wait a bit and buy at the overall lower cost if I can.

Thanks for letting me know of your option though
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
...he can also update you on exactly when new ones are available...
Hi. Can you elaborate on what this means?
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict

My unsolicited advice would be, "Don't sweat the small stuff". It is actually to your benefit. I have bought from JP several times over the past few years.

Very good.

Just buy from NoHype, and you don't have to worry about anything.

DG
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post
My unsolicited advice would be, "Don't sweat the small stuff". It is actually to your benefit. I have bought from JP several times over the past few years.

Very good.

Just buy from NoHype, and you don't have to worry about anything.

DG
Not worried. Not sweating. Just trying to pay the lowest necessary. I actually need a pair of mics due to recent mic failure - it's not an expenditure I'd budgeted for, hence the desire to keep my costs as low as possible
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
I don't think buying direct from the man who makes the mics would be foolish.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't think buying direct from the man who makes the mics would be foolish.
As another satisfied customer of JP at NoHypeAudio, I can tell you that purchasing from him means you know exactly what the stock situation is before ordering, and he will go out of his way to take care of your order personally every step of the way and will promptly respond to any questions you may have. His customer service is as good as it gets.

I did the calculations myself when I purchased my CM3s and found manufacturer direct to be slightly cheaper, but when going that route you have to go on the wait list for your mics to be built. With NoHype you're ordering from existing stock so there is no guessing.

In my opinion, the above points make ordering from NoHypeAudio a better overall value. It's not worth saving a very small amount of money to have to wait. That may be what Boojum was getting at with his statement.

TL;DR - Just order your mics from JP; it's worth it and you'll be happy you did.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks for your input voltronic. Good points.
Old 14th September 2015
Quote:
Hi. Can you elaborate on what this means?
It means he can inform you specifically when new cm3 mics are in stock, if you still don't understand, then you need to improve your translation skills
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

JP sells gear. The fellow at LineAudio makes gear. JP would rather sell it and the guy at LA would rather make it. Wholesaling to JP frees LA from having to deal with retail sales. When he is packaging and shipping individual orders he is not making gear.

JP is a stand-up guy who has earned the respect and loyalty of the folks here at GS because he does his job well, is knowledgeable and very helpful. If that costs a few extra Euros, consider that a service fee for getting the mics when you want them rather than when LA gets around to it and the satisfaction of dealing with a guy who stands behind what he sells, all of it, not just LA. Despite what Monty Python says, those Belgies are not all that bad.

Yes, I bought my CM3's and OM1's from JP. Great expedited service.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
It means he can inform you specifically when new cm3 mics are in stock, if you still don't understand, then you need to improve your translation skills
'New' could mean a number of things. But I do understand now, thanks to your delightfully helpful contribution
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
JP sells gear. The fellow at LineAudio makes gear. JP would rather sell it and the guy at LA would rather make it. Wholesaling to JP frees LA from having to deal with retail sales. When he is packaging and shipping individual orders he is not making gear.

JP is a stand-up guy who has earned the respect and loyalty of the folks here at GS because he does his job well, is knowledgeable and very helpful. If that costs a few extra Euros, consider that a service fee for getting the mics when you want them rather than when LA gets around to it and the satisfaction of dealing with a guy who stands behind what he sells, all of it, not just LA. Despite what Monty Python says, those Belgies are not all that bad.

Yes, I bought my CM3's and OM1's from JP. Great expedited service.
Thanks, I was unaware of the details really, having only just decided on the CM3s this week, having been very close to ordering a matched pair of Oktaka MK012s.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

John Cleese is actually a bit of a hero of mine. Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm chuffed!!!!
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Here's a jazz recording I made a few nights ago, fairly large hall and the wind players plus piano and bass were amplified, but this is largely an overhead NOS pair of CM3's with a very little of the mixed (amplified) sound blended in for clarity. No added reverb. Hope you enjoy it !
Attached Files

Murray Cod .mp3 (6.22 MB, 1837 views)

Old 15th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Here's a jazz recording I made a few nights ago, fairly large hall and the wind players plus piano and bass were amplified, but this is largely an overhead NOS pair of CM3's with a very little of the mixed (amplified) sound blended in for clarity. No added reverb. Hope you enjoy it !
Thanks for the music and the info. Any other stereo techniques you have tried with the CM3?
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes I enjoy but I think the the "very little" of the amplified sound is not so little in the final sound
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloudnine View Post
Thanks for the music and the info. Any other stereo techniques you have tried with the CM3?
I've tried them in ORTF config, but they seem to emphasize the centre a little too much, perhaps because they are wide cardioids ? They also work really well as the inner pair of a Faulkner 4 mic phased array (omni 67cm, cardioid 47cm) so they are pretty versatile. Very closely spaced (say 4-10cm) with bodies side by side (parallel) they make a good spot pair as well.

Quote:
Yes I enjoy but I think the the "very little" of the amplified sound is not so little in the final sound
You be the judge...here is the overhead pair of CM3's alone.
Attached Files
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Now THATs music! Nice!
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Now THATs music! Nice!
Ich danke Ihnen !
Old 16th September 2015
that jazz tune reminds me of toy story, great playing and I even liked the cm3 pair on their own, very natural sound.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've tried them in ORTF config, but they seem to emphasize the centre a little too much, perhaps because they are wide cardioids ? They also work really well as the inner pair of a Faulkner 4 mic phased array (omni 67cm, cardioid 47cm) so they are pretty versatile. Very closely spaced (say 4-10cm) with bodies side by side (parallel) they make a good spot pair as well.
That's great info. I'll give a try to the Faulkner array next time. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search