The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
What would really be nice, JP, is a good symmetrical figure 8. Beat Sennheiser to the punch! How long has everyone been waiting for the mkh8030?
YES!!!! This is exactly what I was thinking but did not bother to post it as it seems like SDC figure of eight microphones are the orphaned stepchild. I would love to see Line Audio make a figure of eight mic with similar sort of responses and form factor to the OM-1 and CM-3. I would buy two, for sure.

Isn't the capsule the big stumbling block here? What the figure eight design calls for is a single capsule that reacts to sound from two/ both sides, right? Or am I wrong in my understanding of the correct design.

Anyway, I second the request of a Line Audio figure of eight mic… call it the BDM-1 (bi-directional microphone). : )
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
… call it the BDM-1 (bi-directional microphone). : )
Oh FO-8
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
What would really be nice, JP, is a good symmetrical figure 8. Beat Sennheiser to the punch! How long has everyone been waiting for the mkh8030?
Yes! A Line Audio single diaphragm symmetrical figure 8! Just the ticket. I'll take a stereo pair please.
Old 6th February 2015
I hope JP will reply and let us know if our suggestion is even possible. As I understand it, the OM1 and the CM3 are able to exist because JP found a capsule that he can make work for the purposes of folks like us. Unlike the big companies that do produce single capsule symmetrical figure of eight microphones, JP does not actually fabricate capsules, so this may be impossible. That is, look at the options of figure of eight small diaphragm condensers---Scheops, Neumann, Sennheiser, MBHO---these places all create their own capsules so are thus able to create the capsule specific for the task.

I would really love to see Line Audio produce a figure of eight companion mic to the CM3 and OM1. If JP can do it, up the the specs and quality of the CM3 and OM1, I will buy two, as I wrote before. Sadly I have my doubts it can be done. Please prove me wrong.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

JP is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Line Audio is designing and manufacturing the products that are talked about in the thread.
Old 7th February 2015
Oh, quite right, my mistake. Line Audio is a one person operation as I understand it and I somehow got it in my head that when "JP" was referenced here, we on the thread were talking about the Line Audio person, rather than the "No Hype Audio" person. Anyway, just to concur for the record, yes, JP is the owner/ operator of No Hype Audio. I do not know the name of the person who runs Line Audio.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear
When using the CM3 as a main pair, it's been often emphasized here that the NOS spacing gives best results (30cm, 90 degrees)

However it seems that variations have been tried on the 'wider than ORTF' theme with good results. The SRS page on the Shapeways 3D printing site now offers 4 alternative spacer bars for the CM3:
Custom Microphone Clips by SRSRecordingServices - Shapeways Shops

* a hybrid bar (30cm, 110 degrees)
* a NOS bar (no specs given, but presumably 30 cm, 90 degrees)
* an ORTF bar (no specs, but presumably 17cm, 110 degrees)
* a wide ORTF bar (21.5cm, 110 degrees)

Which of these is strongly preferred, or are all the 'wider than ORTF' results similarly acceptable ?
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, somehow I stopped receiving alerts on this thread - weird.

I'm not manufacturing Line Audio mics, that's Roger Jonsson in Sweden.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

PS: For those looking for a good yet affordable (not cheap though) high end Fig-8 SDC, the MBHO 603+KA800 is about as close as it gets on today's market.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

Studer58, are the typical stereo bars from Grace, AEA and such not suitable? They would allow you various setups depending on the conditions... a fixed bar can be useful I guess, but to me the placement of the mic and choice of the technique used depends also on the acoustics including room size, source width, etc.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear
Speed of setup is the main attraction of the 3D printed bars, but I was keen to find any concensus amongst the group here regarding wider vs narrower spacing in general....although I agree it is affected by those variables you mention.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

OK - I'll ask my customers to chime in.
Old 17th August 2015
Here for the gear
Cello Solo

Here is an excerpt in which the CM3 was used as a spot mic for Cello.

Mixed around -1.5db lower than the main pair (4006a)
Attached Files

Janacek Excerpt.mp3 (9.01 MB, 2743 views)

Old 18th August 2015
Lives for gear

Nice mix indeed, very natural. But is it me or the players aren't exactly in tune here and there?
Old 18th August 2015
Lives for gear
No it's not you
Old 18th August 2015
Lives for gear

Oh, good. I admit that when I listen to something from an online source and hear something odd I start by suspecting data compression first but lately I've been questioning my ears
Old 18th August 2015
Lives for gear
I recorded a choir piece with a nice solo with cm3 last year, but the introduction played by the brass section was noticeably flat. It happens.
Old 19th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
call it the BDM-1 (bi-directional microphone). : )
Already taken. Milab BDM01
Old 20th August 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Nice mix indeed, very natural. But is it me or the players aren't exactly in tune here and there?
Unfortunately, the musicians were neither in time nor in key.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

No one using it on rock drums?
Old 21st August 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
No one using it on rock drums?
Have used them as overheads for a live drumset that was behind drum shields. Lots of usable nice lows. But less than stellar results using them close up. You're perhaps best off using them in the various stereo spaced methods others have advocated specifically for the CM3s. (ie NOS/boojum)
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

I want to do close spaced pair or close XY or ORTF.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Studer58, are the typical stereo bars from Grace, AEA and such not suitable? They would allow you various setups depending on the conditions... a fixed bar can be useful I guess, but to me the placement of the mic and choice of the technique used depends also on the acoustics including room size, source width, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Speed of setup is the main attraction of the 3D printed bars, but I was keen to find any concensus amongst the group here regarding wider vs narrower spacing in general....although I agree it is affected by those variables you mention.
I have both a Grace SpaceBar and a SRS Shure KSM141 ORTF Clip (its not really a bar) and if I had to explain the pros and cons of each product, I would say this: "The Grace SpaceBar offers flexibility but does not eliminate user error. The SRS ORTF Clip eliminates user error but does not offer flexibility."

Overall, I think the Grace SpaceBar is one of the best products you can buy when it comes to stereo recording. I also think the guy who started SRS is brilliant because he identified a way to make life easier when it comes to stereo recording, developed the products, and brought them to the market before most people even knew it was possible, or at least before I knew it was possible.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear
You could buy 5 or more SRS printed bars for the cost of a Grace, and that would give you both flexibilty and accuracy...just interchange them as you wish !
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
I want to do close spaced pair or close XY or ORTF.
You can't really do ORTF with a CM3 as it's really a wide-cardioid pettern.

May give good results, but it won't be proper ORTF.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
You can't really do ORTF with a CM3 as it's really a wide-cardioid pettern.

May give good results, but it won't be proper ORTF.
Yes I've tried the CM3 in ORTF and the stereo is narrow and not as focused as cardioid. I have a SRS (3D print) NOS holder and that works very well.
The CM3 is a great spot mic that doesn't draw attention to itself.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
You could buy 5 or more SRS printed bars for the cost of a Grace, and that would give you both flexibilty and accuracy...just interchange them as you wish !
Since the fixed bars are "fixed," you still do not get the same flexibility a SpaceBar offers. You could be buy 5 or more SRS printed bars for the cost of a Grace SpaceBar, which is why I'd buy the SpaceBar rather than 5 pieces of plastic. I mean no disrespect to SRS, its just the way technology is at the moment.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

SRS seems interesting but no XY?
How are you supposed to put SRS on a mic stand?
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
SRS seems interesting but no XY?
How are you supposed to put SRS on a mic stand?
Any 20mm clip or a Shure A53M. I have some made by Samson that work well.
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-shure_a53m_a53m_isolation_and_swivel_68622.jpg   CM3 - really THAT good?-samson-clip.jpg  
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear
CM3 pair used in NOS configuration, 2 metres in front of singer, with musicians behind her. Mics 3 metres high. Also an OM1 omni spot used on harpsichord for a bit of definition. Recent concert performance, no attempt at ambient noise reduction, no artificial ambience
Attached Files

Vivaldi Motet edit mp3.mp3 (6.13 MB, 1459 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search