The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
Agreed!
+1
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey jpgerard, how does VAT works?
If I want to buy a pair of CM3 in France from nohypeaudio?
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Send him a PM and he's prompt to give you pricing where you are.
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Well I guess this can be useful for those who don't know: unless you have a business and a valid European VAT number, you have to pay VAT/sales tax if you're in the European Union. So I have to charge 21%. If you DO have a VAT number, no VAT will be charged. If you are located outside the European Union, there's no sales tax either.
Old 2nd October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

it says 999 as the price. forgive my slowness but is that Dollars?
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
it says 999 as the price. forgive my slowness but is that Dollars?
Seems you have seen the price in SEK.

/Peter
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I can recommend JP Gerard. He is a top fellow to do business with, fair and prompt. He has been our go-to source for mics, information and news. Additionally, it relieves the builder from tasks other than mic building. My two pfennig.
Another thumbs up for JP Gerard from me! great to do bussiness with
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Well the setup is described in detail with pictures earlier in this thread (Spaced pair 90 degrees and about 25 cm apart).

I must compliment on the fantastic sound. It's really quite astounding and I'm thinking of doing something similar next month when I'm recording a jazz album with a friend of mine. Thanks for great music and a very good product endorsement
Amazing that this thread is still going after all these months/years! I'm still using the CM3 all the time. Incredible mics which are showing no sign of losing their charm.

I wanted to let all you CM3 fans know that the recording I made back in 2011 (mentioned above) is now available again at my new website, ELSEWHERE Co.. You can listen to the whole thing for free online, and also purchase the original 88.2/24 audio.

People still curious about the set up, info about the project here - http://elswhr.co/projects/lumiere - and I've put a couple of photos of the session on the blog (ELSEWHERE Co.: Photos from Lumière recording session.).

Cheers!

Douglas.
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

Deckard?

Douglas, I am hardly an objective of the Blade Runner sound track, and your rendition is lovely. The CM3's come through. You show what a humbly priced but good mic can do when handled right.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Douglas, I am hardly an objective of the Blade Runner sound track, and your rendition is lovely. The CM3's come through. You show what a humbly priced but good mic can do when handled right.
Agreed. Blade runner left me stunned. I bought the hi res files immediately. Though the FLAC files say 24 bit 44.1 KHz.. Dunno if that's right. I'm listening through Foobar 2000. Not that it matters, the music and sound quality comes through impressively even in the web streaming (yes the FLAC sounds better).

BTW, I used my CM3s and CM2s for an orchestral recording yesterday as section mics for violin2, violas and woodwinds.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Mats - FLAC decodes on the fly from losslessly compressed to WAV into the parameters described. In this case it is 24/44.1. Storage is so cheap that FLAC has lost much of its value there. But for transmission over the Internet it is great at just over half the size of the WAV file. Amurrican engineering. Fife and drum corps here and a large national flag, please.
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

Staff, I really need help from you guys. This forum is fantastic.
I need a microphone to record my grand piano of 6 foot in my home studio.
I am between Avenson OST-2 and Line Audio CM3 or OM1. Audio Line is superior to Avenson for piano? I'm from Brazil e here the tax is very high.
My options are Studio Projects C4, Avenson STO-2 and Line Audio CM3 and/or OM1. The C4 are the most poor between the three, so I am deciding between Aveson e Line Audio.
Thank You very much
Sorry my poor english.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! We've had a lot of great feedback on Blade Runner... it really seems to strike a chord with people.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. Blade runner left me stunned. I bought the hi res files immediately. Though the FLAC files say 24 bit 44.1 KHz.. Dunno if that's right. I'm listening through Foobar 2000. Not that it matters, the music and sound quality comes through impressively even in the web streaming (yes the FLAC sounds better).

BTW, I used my CM3s and CM2s for an orchestral recording yesterday as section mics for violin2, violas and woodwinds.
Thanks for pointing out the FLAC thing (and thanks for your order!). I'm checking it out now. I think maybe I did something wrong with the Samplitude export. Will redo the files and get the new ones on the server! I'll e-mail you when they're there.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Staff, I really need help from you guys. This forum is fantastic.
I need a microphone to record my grand piano of 6 foot in my home studio.
I am between Avenson OST-2 and Line Audio CM3 or OM1. Audio Line is superior to Avenson for piano? I'm from Brazil e here the tax is very high.
My options are Studio Projects C4, Avenson STO-2 and Line Audio CM3 and/or OM1. The C4 are the most poor between the three, so I am deciding between Aveson e Line Audio.
Thank You very much
Sorry my poor english.
If you're happy placing the mics in the piano (unless you have a really great sounding room, then you can go further back), then the CM3s will do an excellent job!
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Whates View Post
Thanks! We've had a lot of great feedback on Blade Runner... it really seems to strike a chord with people.
I also liked the Cinema Paradiso thingie! Great project, i sent the soundcloud link to several friends some time ago
The 2 of you are indeed a great musical combo, i enjoy listening to you a lot-

And that is what music is for me, passion, intimacy, love. The business part of it comes after, not before that in my nicest dreams
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

Douglas Whates,
your recording is absolutely fantastic....
you used a steinway D e only Line audio mics? CM3 and OM1? This is a very very good...
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Douglas Whates,
your recording is absolutely fantastic....
you used a steinway D e only Line audio mics? CM3 and OM1? This is a very very good...
Yes, Steinway D and just the pair of CM3s you see in the photo. I used a sort of unusual "pointing-down" AB pair, but that was to pickup both the bass and piano (the bass was facing towards the piano).
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Bought a copy of Douglas' album on CD a few months back - superb. Strongly recommended! Excellent recording (as everyone is saying) but it's a really great album too...
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Bought a copy of Douglas' album on CD a few months back - superb. Strongly recommended! Excellent recording (as everyone is saying) but it's a really great album too...
Thanks Alex! Is that Richard D. James I see hiding in the green bear there
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

It certainly is - big fan!
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the FLAC thing (and thanks for your order!). I'm checking it out now. I think maybe I did something wrong with the Samplitude export. Will redo the files and get the new ones on the server! I'll e-mail you when they're there.
Thx for getting back to me so quickly! Excellent customer support I downloaded the files but was not in shape to hear any difference yesterday. I guess I'll have to enjoy listening to it for hours on...

In another case, just bought two more CM3s and an Octamic XTC.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thx for getting back to me so quickly! Excellent customer support I downloaded the files but was not in shape to hear any difference yesterday. I guess I'll have to enjoy listening to it for hours on...

In another case, just bought two more CM3s and an Octamic XTC.
No problem. Hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to listen!

That Octamic looks interesting. It'll be interesting to see how you get on with it.
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Amazing that this thread is still going after all these months/years! I'm still using the CM3 all the time. Incredible mics which are showing no sign of losing their charm.

I wanted to let all you CM3 fans know that the recording I made back in 2011 (mentioned above) is now available again at my new website, ELSEWHERE Co.. You can listen to the whole thing for free online, and also purchase the original 88.2/24 audio.

People still curious about the set up, info about the project here - ELSEWHERE Co.: Lumière - and I've put a couple of photos of the session on the blog (ELSEWHERE Co.: Photos from Lumière recording session.).

Cheers!

Douglas.
So, I'm listening to the hirez version of your album, and it's convinced me to buy a set of CM3s. But regardless of the recording, it's a beautiful performance. You should be proud.
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
So, I'm listening to the hirez version of your album, and it's convinced me to buy a set of CM3s. But regardless of the recording, it's a beautiful performance. You should be proud.
Wow, maybe I should get commission

Really glad you're enjoying the music and the hi-res version. It was a nice project to work on.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

And the final result, including CM3 on the piano in live club setting... and Roland R-88 as recorder...

http://vimeo.com/78899941

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
I recorded this live concert just recently and I used two CM3 on a stereo bar as the piano pair in quasi ORTF/NOS-ish configuration under the open lid - one mic aiming at high register hammers, the other mic aiming at the middle of bass strings... I think that's the classic stereo position inside the piano... It was a small club and some short Yamaha grand piano, not sure which number...
The preamp/recorder for the piano and percussion was Roland R-88, vocals, bass and kora (DI & mic) were recorded through TC K48 and laptop. It's a rough balance/mix, no EQ or other processing on piano... just a bit of compression on electric bass and some EQ, compression and reverb on vocals.
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Nut

Nicely done!
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

Verrrry nice! The group is good, the vid is good, the sound is good. That is an excellent effort by everyone. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

What was the mic on the stringed instrument? From the only glimpse of the business end I could see, it looked like it might be another KSM141… the two on perc sounded lovely…

Nice work!

HB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search