The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Head

CM3/OM-1 clip

Haven't had much luck with mp3s lately so here is one in FLAC.

Old Foof
Attached Files
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Afro jazz live - CM3 as piano pair

I recorded this live concert just recently and I used two CM3 on a stereo bar as the piano pair in quasi ORTF/NOS-ish configuration under the open lid - one mic aiming at high register hammers, the other mic aiming at the middle of bass strings... I think that's the classic stereo position inside the piano... It was a small club and some short Yamaha grand piano, not sure which number...
The preamp/recorder for the piano and percussion was Roland R-88, vocals, bass and kora (DI & mic) were recorded through TC K48 and laptop. It's a rough balance/mix, no EQ or other processing on piano... just a bit of compression on electric bass and some EQ, compression and reverb on vocals.
Attached Files

Afrojazz excerpt.mp3 (4.10 MB, 1088 views)

Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
I recorded this live concert just recently and I used two CM3 on a stereo bar as the piano pair in quasi ORTF/NOS-ish configuration under the open lid - one mic aiming at high register hammers, the other mic aiming at the middle of bass strings... I think that's the classic stereo position inside the piano... It was a small club and some short Yamaha grand piano, not sure which number...
The preamp/recorder for the piano and percussion was Roland R-88, vocals, bass and kora (DI & mic) were recorded through TC K48 and laptop. It's a rough balance/mix, no EQ or other processing on piano... just a bit of compression on electric bass and some EQ, compression and reverb on vocals.
Fine recording and wonderful piano sound
Some reservations abut the Kora-sound, but it's obviously a "life sound" thing.

::
Mads
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

Hey, thanks, I already thought that my example must be really ****ty since from all the 60 plus listens nobody cared to comment with a single word...

Yes, kora doesn't sound too nice... he dialed an ugly sound (agressive, thin sound) on his internal pick-up - which I couldn't undo with my tweaking - I was simultaneously doing live sound while recording and there I did some damage control to make kora sound decent for the audience, but I recorded his raw sound... I hope I can do something with when I'll mix this... when he played more rhythmic motifs he dialed such ugly sound, when he played more melodic, traditional stuff he made it sound nicer, so in some songs kora sounds almost normal... The mic captured too much of everything else, so I can't really use it much... kora is a rather silent instrument unamplified...

I like how the piano turned out, too. Those mics are little wonders in their price range... nothing else in that price range can really compare...
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear
I thought the piano sounded nice.

What is it about the CM3 that works so well with pianos? What's the secret sauce in this mic?

I built a homemade 9v battery box to run some other mics with my Sony PCM m10 and thought there was no way the CM3s would run on it at all. But they seem to work. Now I'm going to have to record something to try this out.
Old 28th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
What mic pres?
Thank you for listening. Grace 801 on all channels but the snare (unused) and kick (Soundcraft M12) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Very cool! How do you like the ATM450? How does it work with acoustic instruments?
The ATM450 is small, side-address, and has a HPF and pad. Handy mic for fitting into small spaces, and it isn't very expensive. I haven't given them a fair listen in critical spots as I've mostly used them for "extra" channels. Lots of jazz snare, which almost never gets used. I did use a pair last weekend on orchestra for flute and oboe. The orchestra was miked closely, and the ATM450s fit in just fine with 8020s and 8040s. Like the CM3, a nice mic to have around. Shoot me an email and I can send you the tracks.
Old 28th September 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Whates View Post
Beautiful! PM'd you
Thanks, Douglas and others, too. Glad you liked it.

Reply sent.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

To 2manyrocks, if you use 2 9V batteries, you'll have 18V Phantom which is sufficient for decent performance from a CM3.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for that tip.

So I take this circuit, but connect two 9v batteries in series to get 18v to power the CM3s. 3-wire powering for Audio Technica (and other) mics FAQ & circuit
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
The ATM450 is small, side-address, and has a HPF and pad. Handy mic for fitting into small spaces, and it isn't very expensive. I haven't given them a fair listen in critical spots as I've mostly used them for "extra" channels. Lots of jazz snare, which almost never gets used. I did use a pair last weekend on orchestra for flute and oboe. The orchestra was miked closely, and the ATM450s fit in just fine with 8020s and 8040s. Like the CM3, a nice mic to have around. Shoot me an email and I can send you the tracks.
Thx for giving your opinion about them! Like you say, I'd be interested in them as utility mics, nice to have around. Just like the CM3s and CM2s I have. They sit nicely with my Gefell, Neumann and Sennheiser mics and are used quite often as orchestral spots, snare and kick mics and so on. I used a CM2 as a double bass mic for a jazz record last year and as soloist mics on a Mahler Symphony 2 live recording.

EDIT: i just used a pair of CM3s as violin2 and viola mics for an orchestral live recording, and a CM2 had to substitute an MKH406 for woodwinds. The 406 was dropped to the floor and died.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

So CM3, Oktava or the brand new Joly?

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear
It could be easier to offer an informed opinion if we could have a description of intended use of the microphone and perhaps budget.

Out of those three options, I only have the CM3 so that disqualifies me from having an opinion of the other two options you suggest. In this thread, there are very good examples of CM3's usefulness on piano, double bass, and drums.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

I need a paired SDC.
Drum Overhead, Stereo miking (piano, guitar, everything...), Guitar cab.
the new Joly: Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

There seems to be no experience on this board with the Joly Mic. There is an abundance of experience with the CM3. This should make your decision easier.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
There seems to be no experience on this board with the Joly Mic. There is an abundance of experience with the CM3. This should make your decision easier.
The Joly mic is brand new - just a week or two old I believe. Hopefully there will be more experience in a little while.

That said I love my CM3's!

-Mike
Old 30th September 2013
Here for the gear

I bought a couple of CM3's a few months back for field recording and they've been great. The small size, great sound. They took 3 months to arrive once ordered, but fully worth it.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

I'm happy to report that the CM3 is currently not backordered. It's been a long wait but patience paid off and we can now offer it once again from stock... a few left as of today but a few dozens will arrive this week. Thanks to everybody who went through the waiting list. Hopefully this won't happen again!
Old 1st October 2013
Here for the gear

Recently I had an opportunity to use CM3s again. I had very limited amount of time (and space) since it was master exam concerto, Telemann Suite for recorder and orchestra (excerpt), very chamber one ;-). I think it was either NOS or ORTF setup, can't remember correctly. I'll be glad to hear your comments. Thanks!
https://soundcloud.com/mediaweavers-...ner-telemann-1
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry_ View Post
Recently I had an opportunity to use CM3s again. I had very limited amount of time (and space) since it was master exam concerto, Telemann Suite for recorder and orchestra (excerpt), very chamber one ;-). I think it was either NOS or ORTF setup, can't remember correctly. I'll be glad to hear your comments. Thanks!
Super... recorder sounds very nice and those instruments can sound really annoying - another speciality of CM3 - THE recorder mic.
Old 1st October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Very nice!
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a good recording. It sounds like you had a nice venue and a capable group of artists. Thanks.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. I suppose this will not be the same hall as the one mentioned in your Unbalanced Ensemble thread?
Old 1st October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your kind words people. Yes, venue had nice acoustics and musicians were in good form, especially recorder player is very talented since she performs both baroque and contemporary. That by the way was a pain 'cos I had to run with 5m stand between pieces to get all this modern percussion/recorder pieces, not fun (I mean running not music).
@Polytope - unfortunately this is not the one...
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words people. Yes, venue had nice acoustics and musicians were in good form, especially recorder player is very talented since she performs both baroque and contemporary. That by the way was a pain 'cos I had to run with 5m stand between pieces to get all this modern percussion/recorder pieces, not fun (I mean running not music).
@Polytope - unfortunately this is not the one...
fry, all of what you say may be true but listen to the results! If it were easy the customer would do it himself.
Old 1st October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

ok. where to buy these mics? i can't seem to find a dealer
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
ok. where to buy these mics? i can't seem to find a dealer
Order directly from Line Audio's website - Line Audio Design - Made in Sweden
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

jpgerard at no hype audio is a dealer - see his post(s) above.
Line Audio - Swedish Made High Quality Audio Products - Available at NoHype Audio
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
jpgerard at no hype audio is a dealer - see his post(s) above.
Line Audio - Swedish Made High Quality Audio Products - Available at NoHype Audio
I can recommend JP Gerard. He is a top fellow to do business with, fair and prompt. He has been our go-to source for mics, information and news. Additionally, it relieves the builder from tasks other than mic building. My two pfennig.
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I can recommend JP Gerard. He is a top fellow to do business with, fair and prompt. He has been our go-to source for mics, information and news. Additionally, it relieves the builder from tasks other than mic building. My two pfennig.
Agreed!
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks folks!!! Now that the products are finally in stock and with some luck, for good, the waiting list is gone. So I can now ship right away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search