The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul678 View Post
Which model # did you get for the Lake People pres? And where did you get them? I couldn't really find a place to buy them...you have to purchase direct from the company?
The Lake People preamps are available from Thomann.
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
P.S And may i say that this woman can sing!?!
You certainly may!--she's remarkable. Impressive all around.
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul678 View Post
Well, it sounds great as-is for sure.

Which model # did you get for the Lake People pres? And where
did you get them? I couldn't really find a place to buy them...you have to purchase direct from the company?

Yes, cannot wait to try these babies myself!

I use the Mic-Amp C360. Stunning quality for only 550 Euros. Ultra clean and detailed sound. You already got the link for Thomann, and you can also get it here:
Suchergebnisse für: 'lake people' - Digital Audio Service
Old 20th July 2013
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
Anywhere to buy Line Audio in the US?
Ditto! Anyone know if there is a Line Audio dealer in the US?
Old 20th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Ditto! Anyone know if there is a Line Audio dealer in the US?
There is not. Sorry!
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

But I ship to the US weekly...
Old 20th July 2013
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
But I ship to the US weekly...
This is great to know! I'm going to send you a private message about these microphones.
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
There is not. Sorry!
Wonder if anyone is interested in being a dealer.
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Wonder if anyone is interested in being a dealer.
From what I understand its quick money, tax free. It can be a really great money-maker, if you can keep your hands off your own supply ;-)
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

I can tell you that J-P in Belgium is a first rate supplier. This is especially important considering that he is the only supplier we know of. He has the same ethical standards as the fellow who makes the mics, that is to say, very high.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I can tell you that J-P in Belgium is a first rate supplier. This is especially important considering that he is the only supplier we know of. He has the same ethical standards as the fellow who makes the mics, that is to say, very high.
Agreed. Maybe we don't want to have dealers on this side of the Atlantic to take business away from JP.
Old 21st July 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can second this - and got my pair of CM3s delivered from him. A dealer who can be trusted.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I third (or fourth?) this! J-P is a great guy!

-Mike
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

I just received 2 CM3's and 2 OM1's earlier this week. The shipping took awhile but that had nothing to do with Mr. Gerard. He responded to emails promptly and answered all my mundane questions. Great guy to buy from. But about these mice:

I was honestly expecting to be let down simply because 4 microphones for $600 that some people have compared to Schoeps sounds too good to be true. I have only recorded with them a little bit (been finishing another project) but based on what I heard through my monitors, the CM3's will be my go to mics for recording my classical guitars. I use carbon strings which are usually rather bright. This is not helped when SDC's have a boost in the higher frequencies. The flat frequency response basically captures what my guitar actually sounds like which is something I haven't experienced before.
I finished the project I was working on and will hopefully be recording with the Line Audio's this week. If I record something thats worth sharing, I'll do that as soon as I figure out how.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the kind words - the problem really is that supply is way under demand. Right now Line Audio can't supply enough mics as it is, so new dealers would have to wait weeks to get a small amount of products, at best. Will the situation improve over time? I doubt it. Roger is a great guy and he wants to stay close to his product. So I don't think that he will delegate important tasks to others or lower his quality standards to sell more mics. I'm already used to the current delays, and my customers typically don't mind waiting a few weeks. But to be honest, if I had to start selling Line Audio now, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled and I'm pretty sure that's why nobody in the US is doing it. Long lead time, small quantities only, with an existing dealer with a good rep selling worldwide already and the low price means low profits with a lot of promotion involved and the hassles of regular imports. So right now is a tough time to get started. I'm still hoping that Roger will be lucky with the next arrival of capsule parts, which will allow for more finished CM3's to become available on a monthly basis. Lately he's been rejecting, I think, close to 50% of what he's received. So obviously that factor alone results in a lot of time wasted and time is what Roger needs most...
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
I just received 2 CM3's and 2 OM1's earlier this week. The shipping took awhile but that had nothing to do with Mr. Gerard. He responded to emails promptly and answered all my mundane questions. Great guy to buy from. But about these mice:

I was honestly expecting to be let down simply because 4 microphones for $600 that some people have compared to Schoeps sounds too good to be true. I have only recorded with them a little bit (been finishing another project) but based on what I heard through my monitors, the CM3's will be my go to mics for recording my classical guitars. I use carbon strings which are usually rather bright. This is not helped when SDC's have a boost in the higher frequencies. The flat frequency response basically captures what my guitar actually sounds like which is something I haven't experienced before.
I finished the project I was working on and will hopefully be recording with the Line Audio's this week. If I record something thats worth sharing, I'll do that as soon as I figure out how.
Indeed, in a world full of hyped mics, the flat response is a life-saver in situations where you really need it. Of course there is always EQ but I prefer not to fiddle with that knob too much if I don't have to.

A bit off topic: which brand of carbon strings do you use?
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can tell you that J-P in Belgium is a first rate supplier. This is especially important considering that he is the only supplier we know of.
Well ... VELVET SOUND (all in stock)
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear
I bought a pair of CM3's from JP earlier this year and then bought another pair a few months later. His service was excellent both times. I'm in the US.
Old 21st July 2013
Deleted User
Had a great service from JP Gerard. Trustworthy man!
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Indeed, in a world full of hyped mics, the flat response is a life-saver in situations where you really need it. Of course there is always EQ but I prefer not to fiddle with that knob too much if I don't have to.

A bit off topic: which brand of carbon strings do you use?
I use Hannabach Goldin's and I actually play 7 string classical guitars so I put a Hannabach Silver Special 9th string from their 10 string set for the low B.

I agree about the EQ, I don't like using it on solo acoustic instruments. But then again I only have stock ProTools EQ plugins. The work fine for other applications but I feel solo acoustic recordings are too transparent to get away with much in terms of post production. But then again, I'm sure there is an EQ out there better than what comes stock with ProTools 10.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridberg View Post
Hi,

I own the Line Audio Pre amp 8MP and it is a marvelous pre amp. I use it with Pearl TL-4, Neumann KM184, Octava 012. I was recommended this pre amp from a friend who also have the Millennia pre amp. He has AB tested them and could not hear any difference. The Line Audio pre amp (both 2MP and 8MP are the same) are quiet and very transparent. I only record acoustic, classical music and for me it is very, very good. In Sweden the 8MP costs around $835 including Vat. A Millennia costs around the same price for each channel.

/Pär
Greetings.

Doesn't the 8mp use a wall wart power supply? That makes it a deal breaker for me.

Regards
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Yes it does.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Yes it does.
Thank you, JP. I was very interested in one until I saw that. Too bad.

Regards,
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron_9 View Post
Thank you, JP. I was very interested in one until I saw that. Too bad.

Regards,
Why, actually? How does a wallwart power supply make a piece of gear unworthy? Take Lake People for example - they use wallwart psu's in their rack version preamps and those units are outstanding pieces of gear.
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
Why, actually? How does a wallwart power supply make a piece of gear unworthy? Take Lake People for example - they use wallwart psu's in their rack version preamps and those units are outstanding pieces of gear.
Speaking only on my own experience and preferences here: I've had wallwarts fail during sessions, and it's not always easy (or quick) to find a replacement. An IEC cable is universal, interchangeable, easy to find a spare, and very dependable; I've never had an IEC cable fail.

For me, wallwart gear = potential for unreliability. I cannot take it seriously, and I will never buy it.

Again... this is just MY opinion as far as it goes for ME. Its not meant to change your opinions; you asked, I explained. If it works for you, enjoy.

Flame suit on.

Regards,
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
The main reason why I only use the F355 from Lake People is because that unit has a properly designed built in power supply. Nice and stable with electric dirt filtering. It sounds better. This is the exact same reason why I have not tried the Line Audio preamps. Wall warts are asking for trouble on several levels and are a no-go for me too.
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
.... snip...... This is the exact same reason why I have not tried the Line Audio preamps. Wall warts are asking for trouble on several levels and are a no-go for for me too.
This.
Old 2nd August 2013
A wall wart is as easy to replace as an IEC cable if you have a spare one.
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The main reason why I only use the F355 from Lake People is because that unit has a properly designed built in power supply. Nice and stable with electric dirt filtering. It sounds better. This is the exact same reason why I have not tried the Line Audio preamps. Wall warts are asking for trouble on several levels and are a no-go for me too.
I use the C360 with a wall wart and never had issues with "dirt" or noise on location. The F355 has only 2 channels and the F366 is a multichannel rack version of the C360, using a wall wart. If a reliable manufacturer like Lake People chose to go with a wall wart I would have no doubts using it.

Should an internal PSU fail you won't be able to replace it on the spot. It's funny you compare the wall wart to the IEC cable itself - it's like comparing an apple to a soccer ball. It's very scarce that the cable itself fails, rather the PSU itself. An external PSU is replaced in seconds. As to power filtering, there are a number of power strips with RF filters and spikes protection out there.

Of course having a "small tank" PSU like the GML line is the ultimate thing but try using that on location...
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

My ONLY issue with wall warts is on gear that moves around as if it can't be found, you need to source one there and then. I have stuff in the studio that's been there for years with zero issues and if a wall wart dies, I replace it easily enough. An internal power supply (happens as often in my experience) it's off to the tech for costly repair.
Still, each to his own. Sonic Quality > Perceived weaknesses here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search