The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

If anyone's interested. Got a few minutes yesterday to put an OM1 on top of a CM3. About 10 feet from the kit. Lively room (some 60sqm). Pre was a CAPI VP26 (or 28, can't remember). Antelope Orion.
Attached Files

cm3.mp3 (3.96 MB, 988 views)

om1.mp3 (3.96 MB, 927 views)

Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

The extension on the bottom from the OM1 got me speachless.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

What is OM1 ?
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
What is OM1 ?
It's the first omni mic by Line Audio.

It's not well publicized. I only knew about it because JP from Nohype Audio mentioned it somewhere on GS.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
It's the first omni mic by Line Audio.

It's not well publicized. I only knew about it because JP from Nohype Audio mentioned it somewhere on GS.
Yep. Got my pair a few days ago but was too busy to test them out. Yesterday we took a few minutes off at the end of the session and put the 2 mics one on top of the other. Keep in mind that the room is lively and a tad bit on the bright side.

You can see a picture here:

HOME

Anyway, the OM1 is simply lovely. Just like the CM3, only in omni fashion. Need to grab a few more CM3 and sell some Oktavas.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Just so you know - I was hoping for an improvement in CM3 supply but it won't happen. Still heavily backordered. Roger's doing what he can to make more CM3's but I now firmly believe that we have reached Line Audio's production capacity and that's just the way it is. Hand made products just take time to be built! So patience will be required. I only get about 1 OM1 for every 10 CM3s I get (approx.) so that's why we don't talk about it. "Limited supply" in this case is an understatement. Feel free to follow me on Facebook or sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop but right now the waiting list is the only way to make sure you'll get some and typical waiting time is about 2 months, sometimes less if I get a cancellation. Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I cant´seem to find one of my CM3:s. It´s been lost for almost 6 months... Damn.
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I am finding the OM1s to be very good as stereo spots on piano. Nice smooth free field response.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
I am finding the OM1s to be very good as stereo spots on piano. Nice smooth free field response.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Jim, that's the first report I have seen from you on the OM1's. And a good report. You've worked with a lot of mics so if you are having good luck with them they are probably pretty good.
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7
I am booked to record some piano stuff 2 months from now. Want to do a shoot-out among the CM3, OM1, and KSM 141. How should I place the mics?
Old 23rd March 2013
Deleted User
One more sample to share. Four of Line Audio SDCs made a main array, omnis on the top of cardioids, AB 36 cm.

In a mix the CM3s were -10dB, piano spots (two CM3s, AB 20 cm) -15dB. No processing.
Attached Files

LineAudioSDCs.wav (8.70 MB, 799 views)

Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I doubt any other microphones in this price class would perform this well. No strange issues on the voice either.
[could be interesting to hear the omnis alone from this recording]
Good recording Tomasz

::
Mads
Old 23rd March 2013
Deleted User
Thank you, Mads. So there are three stereo files - main omnis, main cards and piano spots to compare or/and play with. Mixing them can be instructive.
Attached Files

omnis.wav (8.77 MB, 622 views)

cards.wav (8.77 MB, 594 views)

piano.wav (8.77 MB, 649 views)

Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

That's perfect - thanks very much.

What a fine and "musical" quality from all microphones here...

I reckon no post processing were done [other than maybe adjusting the level].
Wonder what preamps you used.

Mads
Old 23rd March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I reckon no post processing were done [other than maybe adjusting the level].
Wonder what preamps you used.
No, nothing but dithering when converting to 16bit.

Preamps were all DAV BG8 into RME UFX.

Thanks!
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear
Always helpful to see a picture of the mic setup for these sessions. I've been sitting here listening and trying to imagine how the mics were positioned.
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Very nice - good to hear more acoustic music in a acoustic space recorded with CM3.

Maybe the harpsichord overpowered the others a bit, especially the recorder, was it closer to the ORTF pair..?

Mads
It's unusual for harpsichords to overpower anything but you are right- the harpsichord was flanked by the recorder and viola di gamba.

The Foof
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof View Post
It's unusual for harpsichords to overpower anything but you are right- the harpsichord was flanked by the recorder and viola di gamba.

The Foof
Yes and that was why I wondered...

Mads
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Pergolesi

A couple of mp3s recorded from a concert today.

CM3 in NOS -> MixPre-D -> DR-680
OM1 in AB 65cm -> DR-680

All mics on the same bar. 16 feet high. 3 ft behind conductor. 50-piece Choir behind 12-piece orchestra.

No EQ. No artificial reverb. No nothing.
Attached Files

Amen-CM3.mp3 (2.55 MB, 953 views)

Amen-OM1.mp3 (2.50 MB, 897 views)

Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear
A pair of CM3's and shock mounts arrived here (middle Tennessee, USA) today exactly two weeks after jpgerard emailed me they were shipped.

The mics were carefully wrapped in bubble wrap inside a cardboard box stuffed with foam peanuts. Communication has been excellent.
Old 27th March 2013
Art K

I sold km184 for Cm3
Not that 184's aren't nice - but I preferred the cm3 on similar tasks.
Old 27th March 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
Not that 184's aren't nice - but I preferred the cm3 on similar tasks.
And these are which tasks? Can you elaborate?
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

Faure cello and piano

Here's a little Faure for a Thursday night- CM-3s in ORTF (wish I could do more of this).

The Old Foof
Attached Files

Faure- II Andante.mp3 (6.63 MB, 1063 views)

Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof View Post
Here's a little Faure for a Thursday night- CM-3s in ORTF (wish I could do more of this).

The Old Foof
Nice sound.

Didn't know the cm3s would work so well at 110 degrees 17 cm apart.
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

I think they need a little more space between them - 25 cm maybe? Cause of the wider than cardioid spread.
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_hog View Post
I think they need a little more space between them - 25 cm maybe? Cause of the wider than cardioid spread.
Never my signature has been more to the point. Thanks to Rolo46. No offence. Just sayin'..
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Opppsss.... Didn't appear. Here it is:

Have you listened to the results or do you live in a world of theory and arguement?
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Nice sound.

Didn't know the cm3s would work so well at 110 degrees 17 cm apart.
Well, I was never able to eyeball the set-up consistently so I made myself a little gauge out of a piece of stiff plastic (plus using right angle XLR connectors). Not to say that other arrangements wouldn't work (NOS perhaps) but in this case ORTF was what it was.
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear
I'd like to see a picture of your setup. I thought it would be pretty easy to do, but for some reason, I keep fouling up the setup.

And I listened to your post this morning and enjoyed it.
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Read Williams "Stereo Zoom" for a quick and easy "origami" technique of coming up with close to 110 degrees. It is like 112 or 113. Just a piece of folded paper. And you can mark off the distance on the same piece of paper.

http://www.reddingaudio.com/download...nic%20Zoom.pdf Page 17.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search