The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

I unfortunately had to part with my pair of CM3 but remember that I found'em def too wide when set up in ORTF (probably due to the wide cardioid).

Don't you guys favor wider spacing with them?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwasp View Post
Here's another mix- CM3s in ORTF on the drum OHs, with a little SM57 on the snare, and an MD421 II on the kick. U87 Ai on the Tenor Sax, TLM 103 on the Guitar, DI Bass, and an Alesis GT AM52 on keyboards. This has quite a bit of processing on it, but the CM3s did an incredible job.
Wow. Super sax tone. And the drums are no slutch. I'd prefer a more roomy sound for them and a bit more distant but very nice sound anyway. Congrats.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah View Post
I unfortunately had to part with my pair of CM3 but remember that I found'em def too wide when set up in ORTF (probably due to the wide cardioid).

Don't you guys favor wider spacing with them?
I normally put them in NOS. But I think a bigger angle than 90 degrees would be worth trying.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

In fact. Just checked with Sengpielaudio java thing. Uber wide with an ORTF setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
I normally put them in NOS. But I think a bigger angle than 90 degrees would be worth trying.
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-ortf-cm3.jpg  
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

To get an equivalent SRA to ORTF here's the setup: 40cm, 60°
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-ortf-equiv-cm3.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wow. Super sax tone. And the drums are no slutch. I'd prefer a more roomy sound for them and a bit more distant but very nice sound anyway. Congrats.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Somewhere around NOS definitely seems to be the sweet spot for these, as a stereo pair. I've been going 80-100 degrees, typically.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Lynn Fuston, over at 3dudio list, is looking for one to use in February for a test article he's writing. Contact him over on Facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/35318...group_activity

or at 3daudio at:

3dB

if you can/want to be of assistance. He's good people, and a friend.

Thanks.

HB

Has he finished his testing and posted results? I looked on his website, but I'm not if I looked in the right place....
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

The project was postponed until May.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
A pair of CM3's is on the way to lucky me. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2013
Here for the gear

i have read the post and listen to the comparatives

just one thing afraid me about these mics, just 6 mv/pa sensitivity vs 12 mv of MBHO or Schoeps and 20mv of sennheisser mkh 8040

i would like to use it as boom mic for indoor shooting and stereo ambience recording

what can you tell me about this?? i work with a 744t for your knowledge
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenzeno View Post
i would like to use it as boom mic for indoor shooting and stereo ambience recording
If they're more along the lines of "wide-cardioid" as people suggest, I wouldn't consider it as a boom. Even with regular cardioids you really need to ride the frame line for it to work.
Old 15th March 2013
Definitely a wide cardioid. Not as open as a mk21, more open than a mk22.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenzeno View Post
i have read the post and listen to the comparatives

just one thing afraid me about these mics, just 6 mv/pa sensitivity vs 12 mv of MBHO or Schoeps and 20mv of sennheisser mkh 8040

what can you tell me about this?? i work with a 744t for your knowledge
The sensitivity of the CM3 is indeed a bit lowish. So it might not be the best choice for ambiance recording.
Old 15th March 2013
i own a pair of CM3, they are great for the price but limited functions. I use them as overheads on drums, loud sources and crowd mics in small gigs (jazz rooms).

They sound dark compared to Schoeps, Senns, etc... but very natural and you can EQ them pleasantly. There are some mics that don't sound good when EQing but adding air to CM3 mics with dynamic EQ or passive EQ are killer!
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Limited functions? As in?
Old 15th March 2013
This mic has recenty become my favorite tympani mic in my arsenal!
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear
I was at a concert in January. The tympani player was intense. So intense that he was obviously counting the part a couple of other percussionists were supposed to have played....but missed.

Back to topic, I got an email that mine where shipped this week. How long does it usually take for them to get to the US after being shipped?
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Here's a four minute bit of serenity for a Friday night, recorded with the CM-3s in ORTF.
Attached Files

Track 84.mp3 (3.70 MB, 1123 views)

Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Back to topic, I got an email that mine where shipped this week. How long does it usually take for them to get to the US after being shipped?
~1 week
Old 20th March 2013
Here for the gear

I'm really curious about the cm3s', I could really do with some better overheads as i currently only have 57s going into an ensemble and was wondering would there be a noticeable difference if i swap out the 57s for cm3s', or should i just save up for some km 184s?
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art K View Post
I'm really curious about the cm3s', I could really do with some better overheads as i currently only have 57s going into an ensemble and was wondering would there be a noticeable difference if i swap out the 57s for cm3s', or should i just save up for some km 184s?
Yes and that is your decision, They are better than SM57's. Whether you buy them or the KM 184's you will have to work out. If you have read the whole thread you know the CM3's are good mics and an incredible value.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

****. So anxious to try the OM1 lastnight but instead we played a bit with other new toys (Antelope Orion + RME MADI). Today's the day. Hopefully I'll put up an OM1 and CM3 right in front of a drum kit and post samples.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof View Post
Here's a four minute bit of serenity for a Friday night, recorded with the CM-3s in ORTF.
Very nice - good to hear more acoustic music in a acoustic space recorded with CM3.

Maybe the harpsichord overpowered the others a bit, especially the recorder, was it closer to the ORTF pair..?

::
Mads
Old 21st March 2013
Quote:
Limited functions? As in?
sorry i didn't explain very well

I wanted to say "versatile", i.e.: u87, 414, dpa....are versatile as you can record voices, guitar, percussion, ambiance, room.....

CM3, due to low sensitivity are intended to be used with loud sources and not crytical applications IMHO
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

The sensitivity of the CM3 is high enough for the microphone noise being stronger than the equivalent input noise (EIN) from the preamp when using any decent preamp (EIN < -125 dBu). So increasing sensitivity would not reduce noise.
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

Several months ago I was looking for good, neutral condencer microphone to mix my electric jazz archtop guitar acoustic tone and found CM3. I am very happy with it.
This is my duo records. I used CM3 for guitar and Shure 57 for amp:

https://soundcloud.com/tikramuzika/you-gotta-be

https://soundcloud.com/tikramuzika/in-my-life

Thank you for listening
Old 21st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitmo View Post
sorry i didn't explain very well

I wanted to say "versatile", i.e.: u87, 414, dpa....are versatile as you can record voices, guitar, percussion, ambiance, room.....

CM3, due to low sensitivity are intended to be used with loud sources and not crytical applications IMHO
Yeah that's definitely a misconception. I posted a while back some clips of classical music recorded with this bad boy (which I VERY regularly use them for) and "low sensitivity" is not something that impedes this. It does not capture sound like a dynamic with "low sensitivity" for example. I think that has more to do with its output gain?

Anyways the clip was of a string quartet arrangement of Bach's "Air on the G string", über quiet music as far as string quartets go, and no discernible noise from the mics on the recording. And I used 3 of em! 2 over top and 1 as a cello spot.

It's actually from this very thread! Here's the link if you are interested:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7867886-post322.html

These are def. very versatile microphones. I have a friend begging me to let him borrow one for lead vocal recordings he is doing with his rock band soon, I guess he tested it and the sound came out better than all their other options they had available. This surprised me, as that's "character mic" territory IMO, but there you go.

Versatile as hell!
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post

Versatile as hell!
With a heavenly sound.

I often use it for recording speech. Works very well too.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Very versatile... they just simply work... for the money there is hardly any competition... I correct that - there is NO competition for that price.

I choose them over Shure KSM141 all the time and they cost three times more, but you get cardioid and omni in one mic with the Shures... I prefer CM3 wide carioid even over KSM141 in omni -there could surely be occasions when I would choose otherwise, but it hasn't happened yet. I choose Gefell UM70 and/or Neumann M149 for most of my "mono" or two mic recordings though - they do sound nicer than CM3 to me on solo vocals, different "ethnic" flutes, clarinets, ouds, saxes, cellos, violins, acoustic guitars, etc. , sometimes a combination of Sennheiser MD441 and Neumann M149 in omni sounds better for some solo percussion, but sometimes just setting up the CM3 pair is perfect to record some percussion sets at once, even though those a bit fancier mics are available to me... they capture low end of percussion really well and high end sounds natural enough, even though in comparison DPA4006/11 captured a tiny bit more details and "livelier" transients, but I can live with CM3s until I have too much money...

You could competently record a whole pop/rock album with a pair of CM3 and SM57... That's how versatile they are...
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
You could competently record a whole pop/rock album with a pair of CM3 and SM57... That's how versatile they are...
Indeed!! I own a pair. Such a sweet and versatile mike!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search