The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Kevin, nice session, nice take. The CM3's have to have the best cost - benefit ratio in the business. And they are great for anyone who wants to start without spending a lot.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Kevin, nice session, nice take. The CM3's have to have the best cost - benefit ratio in the business. And they are great for anyone who wants to start without spending a lot.
If Roger can't get back to making more of these, their prices will shoot straight up.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear
Do you suppose it would be wise to put in an order in chance he resumes production?
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi folks, production is getting back to normal. Which is unfortunately not enough, but Roger mentioned he might hire someone to help increasing his production capacity. Whic means a slight rise in price, about 10%. I don't know when this will come into effect, but it's hardly a problem given the current pricing. I'm taking orders for the February shipments from Sweden, and with some luck by summer of this year we'll finally be a bit overstocked. Well, maybe!
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Hi folks, production is getting back to normal. Which is unfortunately not enough, but Roger mentioned he might hire someone to help increasing his production capacity. Whic means a slight rise in price, about 10%. I don't know when this will come into effect, but it's hardly a problem given the current pricing. I'm taking orders for the February shipments from Sweden, and with some luck by summer of this year we'll finally be a bit overstocked. Well, maybe!
What about the OM1?
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'll have a few extra (not sold) OM1's this month and by spring I hope to have a few on "permanent stock".
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

JP - Line Audio has a good man in you. And you have a good product in them. It seems an arrangement which works well for you both and for us as well. My best to you both.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll have a few extra (not sold) OM1's this month and by spring I hope to have a few on "permanent stock".
Iiiinteresting ...
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks - just doing my best to keep the things in stock and keep Roger happy!
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lynn Fuston, over at 3dudio list, is looking for one to use in February for a test article he's writing. Contact him over on Facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/35318...group_activity

or at 3daudio at:

3dB

if you can/want to be of assistance. He's good people, and a friend.

Thanks.

HB
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up. In fact I've got the 3D Audio test CD's! I've sent him a message, I hope we can make it in his Feb. project.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Addict

I received mine just before chistmas but havn't had any time to play with them (busy busy busy). Got a pair of OM1s and CM3's. I will finnaly get a chance to test them out as drum overheads tonight (in a crappy room on a terible kit, but being my bands practice space I have made a lot of, decidedly terible, recordings of this kit to compair to). I will post up some samples afterwords.

From what I have heard so far, the sound quite good. Though recording my stereo system and yelling at them from across the room is not a great test...

The build quality is top notch, I don't know how he sells them for this price. The machineing of the bodies alone has to be quite spendy.

Also! Where is the 3daudio guy at? If it comes down to it he could borrow mine if I got them back in a timely manner.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_25 View Post
...Also! Where is the 3daudio guy at? If it comes down to it he could borrow mine if I got them back in a timely manner.
Spring Hill, TN (near Nashville) and he's covered on the CM3 thing. You can check out his forum at: 3dB

Most of the members are studio guys, but there are a small cadre of us location guys as well.

HB
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear
The link to Rosemary's baby in post 89 earlier in this thread is amazing to me.

I could readily see using CM3's instead of the Rode NT5 cardoids I presently have, and have asked to get on the list to buy the cm3's.

The question I'm having trouble with is whether to also buy the OM1s or buy the omni capsules for my NT5s? It would seem less expensive just to buy the omni capsules for what I have.

To make it more complicated, should I sell the NT5's and put the money towards the shure ksm141s instead of the cm3's and the om1's?
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=
To make it more complicated, should I sell the NT5's and put the money towards the shure ksm141s instead of the cm3's and the om1's?[/QUOTE]

I've tested the om1's against a pair of earthwork omnis and a pair of AKG 440 omnis and it was hard to hear the difference. Didn't do a blind test though, but at that price and being a student I'd definitely go for the Om1's. then you'd have a good pair of omnis and when it's time you could always upgrade. And working for that upgrade and getting it, isn't that just a awesome felling? :D
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

Oh forgot to mention. I've used the Cm3's with great success. Love that mic!! Just wishing they'd take a little more sound pressure while close micing drums for instance. Being a hard hitting drummer myself.
All that aside a super mic!

/K
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Addict

Ok, quick drum sample. I only claim to be a drummer (and never claimed to be a good, or even decent one) and I haven't touched a kit in a month and a half (and the guitarist hasn't touched a guitar in that time either I don't think) so this is a bit rough.

I directly swapped in the CM3's in place of the CAD CM217's that I had as overheads before (for a long time, my only stereo pair of mics. Also some of the first ones I bought, the CM3's are their replacements, finally!). The attached file is just the overheads, we practice in a tiny space, so there is a good bit of bleed and the overheads were set up to capture as much of the kit as possible, while getting as little bleed from the guitar as I could manage. All this means the one cymbal (left crash) has a nifty phasy effect since it is actually level with the one "overhead".

Little bit of clipping at the start too, didn't have the levels set quite right after swapping out the mics.

Oh, and that is a guitar string breaking at the end, just so you know.
Attached Files

drums.mp3 (1.90 MB, 1012 views)

Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The link to Rosemary's baby in post 89 earlier in this thread is amazing to me.
Thanks! Still brings a smile to my face when I think that this was a $200,000 Steinway recorded with two $150 microphones! The mic cables are almost more expensive than the microphones themselves!
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The question I'm having trouble with is whether to also buy the OM1s or buy the omni capsules for my NT5s? It would seem less expensive just to buy the omni capsules for what I have.

To make it more complicated, should I sell the NT5's and put the money towards the shure ksm141s instead of the cm3's and the om1's?
The omni capsules for the NT5 are its forte, so if there is anything wise you can do it would be buying the omnis for your NT5 bodies. Noise level of these is lower than that of the OM1's, BTW.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear
My wife and I listened to Rosemary's baby against last night. Thank you so much for posting it.

Earcatcher--thanks for your input. I'm really leaning towards the omni capsules for the NT5s I already have. If I were starting from nothing, it would be a different situation.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have the mics around for almost half an year. I use them occasionally on different projects - they are handy to have around.

I do, however, have problems with their noise floor. Nature recording into Grace pres - noise, piano room into RME UFX (test only) - noise, etc.

I've used them with Grace, Neve 1081, Neve 1073, Neve VR, RME, SPL, SSL... pres. They always sound pleasant and natural. However, they simply can not stand next to good Neumanns or Schoeps - now way! The sound is more plastic. To my ears and I would describe it with another comparison - Grace Pre/ADC vs RME UFX pre/ADC. This is what my ears hear. First is more detailed, real, natural, clear, open, with depth; second simply sounds more plastic, dull, less detailed, less depth, less focus - still usable in some roles.
Old 19th January 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyearbouti View Post
I do, however, have problems with their noise floor. Nature recording into Grace pres - noise, piano room into RME UFX (test only) - noise, etc.
Quote:
simply sounds more plastic, dull, less detailed, less depth, less focus - still usable in some roles.
So we have a quite negative description (in comparison) of the CM3 here - interesting. Did anybody really expect these mics in the same class as Schoeps, DPA and Neumann? I didn't and I preordered a stereo pair. My reason is to have an inexpensive but (hopefully) relatively good sounding mic for the cases I wouldn't use my DPA, Schoeps or Neumann stuff. If the CM3s get destroyed it's not a big financial loss. For harsh conditions (sampling/atmo recording) I usually use my (nearly indestructible) B&K 4007s but they are not always optimal and expensive to replace.
When working with analog mics I nearly exclusively use Grace Design preamps and I'm really curious how my CM3s perform with these preamps. Noise would be a problem but I found even DPA4060s often acceptable.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Did anybody really expect these mics in the same class as Schoeps, DPA and Neumann?
Haha hell no. Not me, at least.

They're amazing for the bucks, but um anyone expecting to find Schoeps quality at Radio Shack prices is in for a lifetime of disappointment.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Just to chime in here... buyers can return their CM3's if they don't love them. So far I've had zero return. They are what they are and just like I would never use a KM184 when I need a Schoeps MK4 or so, I wouldn't use a CM3 if I need something else... but when the CM3 is what's required, nothing else will do. I personally haven't found another mic yet having the same linearity and wide pattern in its price range - you need to look at Schoeps to get better linearity and lower noise. So it's then a matter of whether the extra couple of dBs of S/N ratio are vital or not and whether you can afford the Schoeps or not.

Last edited by jpgerard; 21st January 2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
So we have a quite negative description (in comparison) of the CM3 here - interesting. Did anybody really expect these mics in the same class as Schoeps, DPA and Neumann? I didn't and I preordered a stereo pair. My reason is to have an inexpensive but (hopefully) relatively good sounding mic for the cases I wouldn't use my DPA, Schoeps or Neumann stuff. If the CM3s get destroyed it's not a big financial loss. For harsh conditions (sampling/atmo recording) I usually use my (nearly indestructible) B&K 4007s but they are not always optimal and expensive to replace.
When working with analog mics I nearly exclusively use Grace Design preamps and I'm really curious how my CM3s perform with these preamps. Noise would be a problem but I found even DPA4060s often acceptable.
Although the second quote from me refers to the comparison between Grace Pres/ADC vs UFX (non-mod) Pres/ADC.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to chime in here... buyers can return their CM3's if they don't move them. So far I've had zero return. They are what they are and just like I would never use a KM184 when I need a Schoeps MK4 or so, I wouldn't use a CM3 if I need something else... but when the CM3 is what's required, nothing else will do. I presonally haven't found another mic yet having the same linearity and wide pattern in its price range - you need to look at Schoeps to get better linearity and lower noise. So it's then a matter of whether the extra couple of dBs of S/N ratio are vital or not and whether you can afford the Schoeps or not.
Yes, of course. And I have never expected them to be as good as Schoeps - but some people here do. Now, comparing the prices, they certainly aren't 10 times worse than Schoeps!

I have to say though that, it is not about linearity - it is about how natural the sound is. It is their more plastic and not that rich sound that I don't favour. Frequency wise they are very smooth - As I said above - they do sound pretty good & pleasant. The mics are still here and I use them occasionally when what they offer is what will do the job. Definitely a keeper for this money.

Also in a non-classical mix they would do the job perhaps even better. I can imagine them being great into a pair of good valve pres or something that gives mojo.
Old 21st January 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Although the second quote from me refers to the comparison between Grace Pres/ADC vs UFX (non-mod) Pres/ADC.
sorry for that - missed this ... English is not my first language as you probably guessed ...
re-reading your statement ... it was a comparison meant as an analogon ... this is how I understood it ...
Old 21st January 2013
Quote:
Also in a non-classical mix they would do the job perhaps even better. I can imagine them being great into a pair of good valve pres or something that gives mojo.
You have hit the nail on the head. They work very well for me as horn mics for jazz and pop recording, and I have used them with success on kit overheads, guitar amp, and piano in this capacity.

I know what you mean about the not-quite-ideal tonal character for classical music, which I would define as slowed transients and not-very-nice treatment of voices and bowed string instruments at their extremes. The frequency response, however, is VERY good, and they can be used very VERY well as spot mics. I have had much success with them in this application.

Also, those "flaws" are the very best flaws one could possibly hope to have with a $160 microphone. I've used them as mains with success before, and while I prefer other things they certainly get the job done and done well.

Just used them the other day as piano spots for a viola sonata recording, with MKH40 as the mains, and the sound was absolutely fabulous with just those 2 pairs.

A great first pair, or a great option for support mics. Still highly recommended and oft-used here.
Old 28th January 2013
ACP
Here for the gear

Very cool to see jpgerard here, I literally just responded to your email. Looking forward to getting a couple CM3s shipped mid-March! Wish I had caught you guys earlier to get in on the February shipment.

As soon as I get mine, I plan on posting shootouts on multiple sources of these against NT5 pairs, KSM137 pairs, and whatever other small diaphragm condensers I can get my hands on easily.
Old 1st February 2013
Here for the gear

Here's another mix- CM3s in ORTF on the drum OHs, with a little SM57 on the snare, and an MD421 II on the kick. U87 Ai on the Tenor Sax, TLM 103 on the Guitar, DI Bass, and an Alesis GT AM52 on keyboards. This has quite a bit of processing on it, but the CM3s did an incredible job.
Attached Files

Footprints M6.mp3 (9.35 MB, 937 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search