The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsosane View Post
Seems I did not notice your pics link. Excellent stuff.
Old 26th October 2012
Here for the gear

CM3

I use my CM3 pair as Drum overheads on tour with Deltron 3030 Orchestra....everyone that has seen the mics has an odd look on their face, but when they hear what is being picked up, that look of hmmmmm is obvious.

I really like them.

Used them as Hat and Ride mics in a session and was pleased with the full range of sound.
They have been on every recording as well since I got them. Very handy

my two cents

Damien
Old 6th November 2012
Here for the gear

Mezzo-Soprano with Piano and English Horn accompaniment. Main pair was the CM3's, 6'-8 back, ~7' up, 20cm apart, and angled 90 degrees. I had a TLM 103 on the horn as a spot, but there's a negligible amount included in the final mix. I'm floored.
Attached Files

08 La maja dolorosa II.mp3 (2.66 MB, 1167 views)

Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, nice room and players, too! Nicely done.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Wow, nice room and players, too! Nicely done.
Very nice indeed.

BTW, is there (going to be) a cardioid/ hypercardioid version of the CM3?
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Well right now everything is on hold at Line Audio. I frankly have no idea when the next products will come to life. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well right now everything is on hold at Line Audio. I frankly have no idea when the next products will come to life. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
What does that mean? He earned enough money and went traveling around the world??

Does that mean my pair of rare "vintage" CM3s can be sold for 10x the price on ebay?
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

No, Roger worked too much too long and as a result totally burned out. I trust that he will be back in action soon though. I guess it's the flipside of the coin when a product becomes so popular that the demand vastly exceeds the offer and there's no easy solution around it. Looks like the first step will be to get production back to "normal" and then R&D, maybe, at some point in the near to mid term. Let's hope that Roger gets better soon!
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwasp View Post
Mezzo-Soprano with Piano and English Horn accompaniment. Main pair was the CM3's, 6'-8 back, ~7' up, 20cm apart, and angled 90 degrees. I had a TLM 103 on the horn as a spot, but there's a negligible amount included in the final mix. I'm floored.
Really nice and natural.
For me a horn is a french horn (yes I am french) but what you call a horn here is an english horn which is near to the oboe ?
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, Roger worked too much too long and as a result totally burned out. I trust that he will be back in action soon though. I guess it's the flipside of the coin when a product becomes so popular that the demand vastly exceeds the offer and there's no easy solution around it. Looks like the first step will be to get production back to "normal" and then R&D, maybe, at some point in the near to mid term. Let's hope that Roger gets better soon!
Oh, too bad... my version was better, I wish it were the true one. He would deserve it.
I hope he gets well soon and makes some more nice microphones.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Oh, too bad... my version was better, I wish it were the true one. He would deserve it.
I hope he gets well soon and makes some more nice microphones.
Many people would just jack up the price to reduce demand. My hats off to Roger for not doing that.
Old 6th November 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm View Post
Really nice and natural.
For me a horn is a french horn (yes I am french) but what you call a horn here is an english horn which is near to the oboe ?
This was strange for me as well, but that is what the player referred to it as.
Appreciate the feedback though, we managed to pull that off without time for a soundcheck.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
This was strange for me as well, but that is what the player referred to it as.
In the UK we call it the Cor Anglais, which I guess literally translated is English Horn.
Old 6th November 2012
Deleted User
Rozek angielski (English Horn) in Polish.
Old 6th November 2012
Here for the gear

Must be an American name, then.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by digistu View Post
In the UK we call it the Cor Anglais, which I guess literally translated is English Horn.
Actually, Cor Anglais means literaly Angled Horn but has been translated false ever since. The Angle in the English Horn sets it apart from a oboe. In Holland we name the instrument alto-oboe.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

No, no, no, Cor Anglais actually does mean English Horn in French. Check the link for the whole story:

Cor anglais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
No, no, no, Cor Anglais actually does mean English Horn in French. Check the link for the whole story:

Cor anglais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cor Anglais in English means Cor Anglais in French. That's all.
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Many people would just jack up the price to reduce demand. My hats off to Roger for not doing that.
I second that statement!
I'm so glad I already ordered my 8 Line Audio mics :-)

Get well soon, Roger!
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Addict

2nd Recording Attempt w/CM3

Here it is:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ue-please.html

Trying to learn both the craft and the mic.

Thank you for any comments, evaluation, or suggestions for improvement.

DG
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Mine should be arriving this week coming - really looking forward to trying them out. I'm planning a little shootout next to some Schoeps maybe on piano and drums?
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

From a rehearsal recorded with a pair of CM3's in NOS, 15 ft away in a large and reverberant church. No editing whatsoever.

Please critique or enjoy or both.
Attached Files

Sicut Cervus 1.mp3 (5.89 MB, 1093 views)

Old 17th December 2012
Gear Addict
Listening on phones it seems to me a bit concentrated in the middle, narrow sounding.
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
Listening on phones it seems to me a bit concentrated in the middle, narrow sounding.
I wonder if that has to do with the group bundled up together in the middle since the singers couldn't hear each other in the big choir loft.

Or maybe the CM3's need a bit more distance than NOS.
Old 17th December 2012
Here for the gear

I had good results with 36 cm A-B stereo, 36 cm microphone spacing and few degrees open angle.
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundTv View Post
I had good results with 36 cm A-B stereo, 36 cm microphone spacing and few degrees open angle.
Will give that a try next time. But then at 36cm, I might go for the OM1's instead. Tough choice.
Old 18th December 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Will give that a try next time. But then at 36cm, I might go for the OM1's instead. Tough choice.
Or both. Put them one above the other and mix to taste in post. It works for me. There are no phase issues as capsules are very close to each other.
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
Or both. Put them one above the other and mix to taste in post. It works for me. There are no phase issues as capsules are very close to each other.
Thanks for the tip. Now I need to get a decent mic bar and a 4-Track recorder.
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

These Microphones Are Absolutely Awesome! I own some, and will be buying more in the future. I am ordering a 2MP preamp aswell. Roger is a very good soul to put these things on the market... I cannot affoard madly priced mics, and now I can compete. I also have experience with a Earthworks TC30 matched pair. I used it manytimes... They are wonderfull microphones, but price is not worth the difference. Thumbs up for Line Audio and Roger in Sweden... And no, I don't work for them. I just love people that are serious about passion for audio and put precise audio tools on te price range a talented engineer can afoard and not only a rich one!
Old 3rd January 2013
Here's a link I posted the other day, a track I recorded with some students in my area.

You all might be interested because horns were recorded with cm3s!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8594654-post10.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search