The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Mine arrived today, too. <no pic> I am going to take them out on Friday and strap them on top of a NOS array of the CM3's for a Line Audio Norman/Boojum array of a band I like a lot. In the past I have gotten this band with Schoeps MS or ORTF plus DPA 4061's. I am eager to see how the little Swedes will do. I'll feed the 788T with them. And a soundboard tap for vocals.
I would like to hear a sample. Please post if you have time.
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

I got lucky and obtained a small stock of 20 of the first OM1's. But the next batch, larger in number, won't be availbel before late august or so. Right now there are none in stock, so nothing to advertise really... once they are available again, I'm sure that Swedish shops will start stocking them.
Old 13th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
I got lucky and obtained a small stock of 20 of the first OM1's. But the next batch, larger in number, won't be availbel before late august or so. Right now there are none in stock, so nothing to advertise really... once they are available again, I'm sure that Swedish shops will start stocking them.
Ok I get it, thanks!

Sent from my E10i using Gearslutz App
Old 13th July 2012
Gear Addict

New Thread?

May I respectfully suggest that it probably would be beneficial for everyone for the OM1 discussion to have its own thread.

Thank you.

DG
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Good idea - but since I sell them I don't think the moderators will let me start a new thread on this topic. For sure the OM1 will have different applications than the CM3...
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Head
New samples with CM3

Since we have a new thread for the OM1 I've posted a small harpsichord sample there:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ats-about.html

Church organ samples will follow!

In the meantime here are some more samples of the CM3: two short samples of a small vocal ensemble SAATB (all males!) from a rehearsal in a nice small village church. Early baroque polyphony.

No processing/ filtering what so ever
Attached Files

CM3 DIN vocalens SAATB.mp3 (6.02 MB, 2234 views)

CM3 20cm angle 80 vocalens SAATB.mp3 (2.44 MB, 1959 views)

Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
Since we have a new thread for the OM1 I've posted a small harpsichord sample there:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ats-about.html

Church organ samples will follow!

In the meantime here are some more samples of the CM3: two short samples of a small vocal ensemble SAATB (all males!) from a rehearsal in a nice small village church. Early baroque polyphony.

No processing/ filtering what so ever
More beautiful samples - looking forward to the OM1 on church organ...

::
Mads
Old 1st August 2012
Here for the gear

I bought a pair of CM3's earlier this year for recording sound effects and ambiences for Film Audio Post. Very happy with performance generally... I would like a little more sensitivity, but I use a Sound Devices Mix Pre with 66dB of gain and it works well into a Sony PCM D50 recorder.

The CM3s (like all mics) are sensitive to rumble (wind noise) when used outdoors, so I devised an ORTF mount that slides into a Rycote windshield so that the CM3s point to the side. I modified a pair of Rycote INV6 suspension clips and epoxied them to a steel bar tapped to accept the Rycote pistol grip bolts that hold the pistol grip to the windshield.
One problem using conventional XLRs, is that they are too long, almost doubling the length of the CM3s. So I bought a pair of Kortwich miniature XLRs which are about 30mm deep. The whole rig now has adequate clearance from the windshield and I have a very lightweight location recording rig!

The only criticism I have of the CM3s for my application is the lowish sensitivity, but the headroom is great as I discovered while recording at night in some local woods and managed to disturb a very angry badger! Huge dynamic at 96kHz!!
Old 25th August 2012
Here for the gear
Thank you jpgerard, for placing me in the reserve list.

Now I've to find a clamp to fit those inside the piano. Anyone has any ideas? (sorry I'm new here )
Old 25th August 2012
Lives for gear

Sure, no problem. Well, the basic clamp included in the CM3 set should do shouldn't it? Or do you mean held to the piano itself, without mic stand? Here's the clamp/clip/holder included:

Old 25th August 2012
Here for the gear
Thank you for the pics, that should be okay for external positioning on stands.

I'm thinking in the line of Clamp (or magnet?) with gooseneck styled mic holder that can clip on to the frame, similar in the line of DPA 4099P Clamps. I did some research, but appears DIY route is the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Or do you mean held to the piano itself, without mic stand?
Old 25th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Ultra clamp.
Old 25th August 2012
Lives for gear

Nice, that Ultraclamp. I think there's a similar model from K&M, hence closer to London.
Old 25th August 2012
Whatup fellow budget Slutz?!

Wanted to share some tracks I cut of my wife the other day. The main pair of mics are CM3 in a 45-50cm wide, gently splayed AB setup, about 8 or 9 feet high. There are also piano spots (Shure KSM141) off the tail of the piano, a la Decca-style.

In the photo there is another set of vox spot mics. There were not used in the final mix. Also, the shot was taken during rehearsal, while tracking she would obviously face forwards ;-).
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-photo-1-.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Whatup fellow budget Slutz?!

Wanted to share some tracks I cut of my wife the other day. The main pair of mics are CM3 in a 45-50cm wide, gently splayed AB setup, about 8 or 9 feet high. There are also piano spots (Shure KSM141) off the tail of the piano, a la Decca-style.

In the photo there is another set of vox spot mics. There were not used in the final mix. Also, the shot was taken during rehearsal, while tracking she would obviously face forwards ;-).
I don't know man. The reflections off those water bottles is totally killing the whole thing.

Just kidding. That's really cool! As a fan of lieder (yeah, I know it's a Gounod aria, but as arranged for piano and solo voice, let's call it a lied for the sake of sonic simplicity), it's really neat to see how you record such a duo. Since his recent death has kind of had me listening to more than my fair share of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau lately, it strikes me as suddenly surprising that I never really thought about how you record such performance. Seems like it would be fairly challenging: a single piano and soprano, or in DFD's case, baritone voice.

Thanks for the insight! Pretty neat to have such a talented wife too.
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Not a bad sounding room either! Well done.
Old 26th August 2012
Here for the gear
Thanks for this. I found out the K&M version of this, which is cheaper and easier to find in UK

K&M 24030 Microph. Holder Drums BK - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

K&M 23720 is probably what I would choose...
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Head
Some times used combination of t.bone Microphone Holder Universal , K&M 215M10 and Shure A53 M .
Fast and easy reinstall.
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Organ recital

A couple of tracks from an organ recital. Your comments appreciated since this was the first time I recorded an organ recital.

Chain:
Line Audio CM3s (NOS) -> SD MixPre-D -> Sony PCM-M10 (44.1/24)

The flank mics are the OM1's connected to a camcorder and so they are not in the mix. Haven't had time to check out how that went yet. Will report in an OM1 thread

EDIT: The camera sound track is unuseable due to incorrect level setting (should have tried this before hand). So you won't be hearing the OM1's from the recital.
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-img_00000495.jpg  
Attached Files

Homilius.mp3 (7.73 MB, 1744 views)

Bach Chorale.mp3 (7.17 MB, 1685 views)

Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

My take in the Line Audio "teenie mics" is that they are here to stay. If I ever get the youth jazz sextet recorded it will be with some trumpet and sax tracks of the CM3's against CMC64's and Joly NT1-A's. I want to hear how they sound. I know some folks here will. Maybe even Michael Joly. Back to the original point: Line Audio knows how to make a very good inexpensive microphone.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

CM3 vs Zoom H4N

Got my hands on a Zoom H4N for a few days. Thought GS might be interested in yet another shootout.

Zoom H4N built-in mics (90 degrees) vs CM3 (XY) -> MixPre-D -> Mac.

Recorded at 44.1/24 on both.

I think it is pretty obvious which is which but I think it's worth posting to see what people think.

EDIT: Picture uploaded

EDIT 2: Uploaded mp3 files for those who don't want to download the huge wav files.
Attached Thumbnails
CM3 - really THAT good?-img_00000505.jpg  
Attached Files

test1.wav (8.39 MB, 1201 views)

test2.wav (8.43 MB, 1321 views)

test1.mp3 (1.91 MB, 1859 views)

test2.mp3 (1.91 MB, 1859 views)

Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

I prefer 1 but I think that for most people the difference is not audible. Moreover it can be reduced by means of a bit of EQ
Attached Files

test2_EQ.wav (8.43 MB, 1248 views)

Old 9th September 2012
Listening on headphones through my laptop and 2 sounds dull and with poor definition. Listening to 1 I almost feel like I'm in the same room listening live. So I guess 1 is CM3's.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head
I definitely hear more noise on test 1 and the sound is bright and somewhat distorted. I guess test 1 is the Zoom
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I prefer 1 but I think that for most people the difference is not audible. Moreovef it can be reduced by means of a bit of EQ
You're right. Now that I have listened to them again with fresh ears, the difference between the two seems to be just a matter of EQ. I guess I was to eager to hear a big difference and I "heard" it.

Keep the guesses coming. I'll reveal the results in a day or so.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

The real test is whether you can do the things you can with CM3 with Zoom H4n internal mics. From using both on occasion I can tell you - some things you just can't. I am going to record a harp and vocal duo today - among other mics I will use the CM3 pair through DAV BG1U preamps... would I be able to record it the same with just Zoom H4n? I wouldn't feel confident doing this job just with that recorder that those musicians themselves use for recording their practices anyway... One of the main differencies is of course that you can position the mics in many different positions and arrays, while you are stuck with XY on H4n. But true - a good performance in a good room recorded from a "lucky" position with H4n can be a hard to beat reference the musicians can give you. Performance is still 80% of the sound (by the arbitrary on the spot invented statistics )

I "prefer" no.1. Could be either just judging from this clip which would not make me wanna buy either.

Zoom can sound rather dull sometimes - so it could be no.2, but also CM3 can sound "dull" on occasion so - it could be no.2, too... both can be noisy as they sound here a bit... and not knowing the room and the instrument - no.1 brightness could be the tone as it is or the hyped high end. But neither mic sounds particularly hyped in the highs.

But if I do hear more detail and more spatial information (which there is not so much being a recording of a single instrument - but still - the room, the reflections...) in no.1 - not just a brighter clip - I would still dare to say no.1 is CM3...
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
I "prefer" no.1. Could be either just judging from this clip which would not make me wanna buy either.
Indeed, no one in the right mind would want to use either clip to showcase the Zoom or the CM3.

Anyway, the room is my living room. Hardwood floor. No acoustic treatment.

The violin is a (cheap?) copy of a Balestrieri, a bit dull sounding.

I'm starting to feel that the CM3's don't work in XY-90 degrees.
Old 10th September 2012
I would say the reason you hear more noise in test1 is because of the better frequency response - I'm pretty sure it's not caused by the microphones but more likely problems in the recording room and instrument. But it's hard to hear where the problem is and it makes it harder to point out which mic is which. Just listened again (also on the eq'd test2) and feel pretty sure that test1 is CM3.
Old 10th September 2012
But I'm probably wrong

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search