The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

CM3 - really THAT good? Condenser Microphones
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I tried them today into Neve preamps against Shure KSM141 on Drums OH. It was a quick test, but I heard enough. I will listen to the recording with fresh ears tomorrow again, but I can say that I've underestimated the CM3 a bit. Although I definitely preferred the KSM141 in this application, the CM3 had a very nice rounded sound. They did well on snare bottom, top and hh, but had lots of spill (quite natural). I can imagine the CM3 being good where you want a more mellow and rounded sound. The KSM had a more finished rock sound with its bigger omni bass and punch in the lifted high mids - generally more solid and with the right attitude in this application.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
The mp3s are at 320 kbit/s. I performed a null test with respect to the original 44 kHz x 24 bit: the residue RMS level is below - 88 dBFS, which is more than 15 dB lower than the initial silence. In general there is nothing significant left in 320 kbit/s mp3 from a piano recording.
didier, I believe your measurements, I see what you are saying, and I have no way to compare the WAVs against the mp3s. But I think that the difference between a 320 mp3 (I use Lame) and 24bit WAV is quite noticeable on good speakers. At least this is my experience.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Lots of comparisons between CM3 and mics that are way more expensive.
Has anybody compared the CM3 to others of the same price range? Results?
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have and I couldn't find anything that compares favourably. That's why I'm supporting the CM3 (and Line Audio in general). That said there are some very nice mics in this price range in the audio Technica line. But the CM3 manages a linearity and overall performance that's not found elsewhere in this price range and above. You really need to spend a few hundreds (USD or EUR) to get an improvement in noise or linearity.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Also, one of the most compact, lightweight mics of it's type in any price range.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
Has anybody compared the CM3 to others of the same price range? Results?
Yes: here and here.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Yes: here.
To my ears, CM3 is a tad more detailed than the NT5 and MK012. The NT5 seems to be a bit bass-heavy. I am a little disappointed by the MK012 sound in this shootout. Sounds like something is missing.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Well I prefer not to give an availability date as I don't have one but the OM-1 should be in stock by the end of summer. The proto exists and performs very well. When its ready it's going to be a killer little Omni, with a flat response so I guess the whole free-field/diffuse field discussion will rise again... noise will be good for a flat response omni, certainly lower than some other popular omnis currently on the market. Small size as usual and the accessories will be the typical CM3 ones. Price to be determined but in the same range as the CM3. That's all I have for now. PM me for a photo of the prototype...
That's interesting. And nice that it shares its name with a rather lovely Olympus manual camera.

When you say "small size as usual", do you mean the diameter of the mic body will be the same as the CM3?
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Rumor has it to be about the same size. The nose is tapered, otherwise it is very similar. Perhaps JP will post a pic.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yes indeed, same diameter as the CM3 and about the same length. I'll ask Roger if I can post the prototype's pic.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes indeed, same diameter as the CM3 and about the same length. I'll ask Roger if I can post the prototype's pic.
Yes, let's get the hype going
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

LOL, no please, that would be wrong.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, no please, that would be wrong.
One can't expect hype from no hype audio!
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have better than the proto: one from the actual first batch (sent for beta). We might have the OM-1 in stock in late June.

Preliminary data:
Frequency response: 20-20000Hz +-1dB
Phantom power: 12 - 48V
Current consumption: 4 mA
Impedance: <100 Ohm
Sensitivity: 8mV/PA -42dB
S/N ratio (DIN/CCIR): 76dB(A)/66dB
Noise level: 16dB(A)
Max SPL: 133dB @0.5% THD ([email protected], 120dB @ 12V)
Size: 77mm x 20mm
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have better than the proto: one from the actual first batch (sent for beta). We might have the OM-1 in stock in late June.

Preliminary data:
Looks great (if a little sexual - sorry, but I'm only saying what everybody is thinking!). I'll be very interested to see/hear how the off axis response changes with frequency.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Whates View Post
Looks great (if a little sexual - sorry, but I'm only saying what everybody is thinking!). I'll be very interested to see/hear how the off axis response changes with frequency.
Yes, a bit sexual or medical/sci-fi - my first impression was - wow, look, that's one of those vintage alien anal probes they took out of one of those 1950's Alien abducted hillbillies'.

But I'm sure it will sound cool!
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

As usual with Line Audio, on and off axis response will be very flat, even and predictable. I trust Roger to give us excellent performance again. As soon as I get my hands on one, I'll report!
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
S/N in dBA + Noise level in dBA = 94 dB SPL (1 Pa)

Hence it may be S/N = 78 and NL = 16 or S/N = 76 and NL = 18. Anyway, it is good enough.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Well spotted Didier, let me check with Roger.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Yes, a bit sexual or medical/sci-fi - my first impression was - wow, look, that's one of those vintage alien anal probes they took out of one of those 1950's Alien abducted hillbillies'.

But I'm sure it will sound cool!
At least it looks vintage. Can't stand these modern digital probes...

Looks great! Nice with such low noise and small capsule. I bet the off axis response will make it sound very open.
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Addict

Man, those are gonna sell like cupcakes!!!
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think they will be as popular as the CM3 within a few months, yes...
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hi, Didier is right:

Roger Jonsson: "He is right. It is a typo. NL figure is 18bB(A). Thanks for correcting."

Sorry for the error. The right specs are then:

Preliminary data:
Noise level: 18dB(A)
Old 9th May 2012
Looks awesome ! What's the typical application for such SDC omnis in the studio enviroment ? OHs ?
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Anywhere you need to record the source + the room sound and bleed, or when you want to get very close to the source without proximity effect. Great room mics and if you do drums alone, a single Omni, far from the source, heavily compressed will give you a very nice extra "room" track to add to your drums balance. Also great in front of guitar/bass/keys amps for a clean, clear sound (again no proximity effect), groups like horns, vocals/choir, etc etc. See the recent thread on the (very different but a cool Omni too) EV 635 for some ideas from various engineers. Omnis are cool!
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, Didier is right:

Roger Jonsson: "He is right. It is a typo. NL figure is 18bB(A). Thanks for correcting."

Sorry for the error. The right specs are then:

Preliminary data:
Noise level: 18dB(A)
Hmm. Specs don't tell you the quality of the noise, but that's quite high for an omni. I somehow expected it would be quieter than the CM3. Hopefully any noise that is present will be quite smooth (a la CM3).
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Well, if you compare with other Omnis in this price range I think you'll find that the OM-1 is actually performing pretty well, especially since it has very decent headroom. In the same electrical environment, pure pressure capsules are invariably more noisy than pressure gradients.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, if you compare with other Omnis in this price range I think you'll find that the OM-1 is actually performing pretty well, especially since it has very decent headroom. In the same electrical environment, pure pressure capsules are invariably more noisy than pressure gradients.
EW QTC50 has noise at 22dB(A). So the OM-1 is pretty good.

BTW, when is this available for pre-order?
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, exactly. Please note that Line Audio will revamp the SM Series (multiple capsule multipattern designs) so for a 16dBA Omni, you'll have to be a bit more patient (end of the year?) but they will be available at some point. However for a pure Omni, the OM-1 fits the bill nicely. I'll have a small stock of OM-1's in June, some of which are presold, just Email me as usual and I'll put you on the list. More will come in by late July, hopefully with "normal" production volumes expected sometime this Fall.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. I just suppose we're used to favorably comparing the Line Audio CM3 to much more expensive microphones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search