The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
414 BXLS for on-stage vocals? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

414 BXLS for on-stage vocals?

Hi GS,

I've got a gig coming up with 4x vocalists (plus backing band and a smallish orchestra, although only the band is being reinforced). The material is musicals.

I'm doing the PA side of things, and just wondering if anybody's had any experience of using the 414 BXLS as vocal mic.

The FOH speakers are going to be directly either side of the mics (90º and 270º off axis respectively) and I'm thinking the Fig-8 pattern is going to be useful here.

Any opinions?

Cheers!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

A 414 will pick up EVERYTHING and create gain before feedback problems. I would use a mic designed for live vocals. What else do you have access to?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonraboin View Post
A 414 will pick up EVERYTHING
Why would a 414 in hyper or Fo8 pick up more than other mics...? It isn't really made for directly singing into it like with an SM58, but otherwise, and esp. if the PA isn't too loud, I don't see why this shouldn't work. I've used the 414 with live PA, although not for vocals.

D.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Cheers for the opinions,

The problem is I need 4x identical microphones, and the only other mics I have access to four of is 58s and some of the Sennheisers (which I would have to sub-hire in at extra cost).

We will have a digital desk at our disposal so we can notch-out any frequencies we might have issues with...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Can you test during rehearsals? Try the 414s and bring the 58s as backup...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Ditto that ^^^.

I've had great success with both Rode NT1As and Neumann TLM193s (less sibilant emphasis with the 193s), both plain-jane cardioid patterns, in live "crooner"/big band situations. I think the first question is if the four vocalists want to be "pop" or "classic crooner" in their presentation. If they can't get their heads around singing from 1 to 4" back from a large-ish mic with a foam pop-stop-sock on it (I wouldn't try this without the socks... it's money well spent), from a stationary mic stand, a la Ella... you'll be backed into the 58s. I've worked with exactly one singer who could control her plosives well enough to work a side-address mic without problems... but with several who were after just that "crooner" thing, and cared less if they looked like GaGa.

Just be careful of wedge placement and EQ, get plenty of rehearsal time to work out their technique, and be prepared for a great experience, if the planets align.

HB
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
8's have the highest nulls of any microphone
Careful placement might work, but you will get hall and audience to.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I'll be taking a bunch of 58s with me anyway, so I'll have those on standby ready to go.

The 414s I'll take also still have their blue mufflers in the cases (most of the 414s I use tend to be missing these), I may even use the pop shields too...

Many thanks for all your opinions guys! Looks like it's one of these "it works if the weather is right" things!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Hi GS,

I've got a gig coming up with 4x vocalists (plus backing band and a smallish orchestra, although only the band is being reinforced). The material is musicals.

I'm doing the PA side of things, and just wondering if anybody's had any experience of using the 414 BXLS as vocal mic.

The FOH speakers are going to be directly either side of the mics (90º and 270º off axis respectively) and I'm thinking the Fig-8 pattern is going to be useful here.

Any opinions?

Cheers!
C414 B-XLS can be very well used for live vocals, especially backings. K.D. Lang used it as a solo hand mic though:

KD Lang - Constant Craving (MTV Unplugged) - YouTube

Crying - YouTube
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

If people got close to my 414 B XLS mics they would start misbehaving from moisture.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
C414 B-XLS can be very well used for live vocals, especially backings. K.D. Lang used it as a solo hand mic though:

KD Lang - Constant Craving (MTV Unplugged) - YouTube

Crying - YouTube
Pretty amazing technique. Sounds like I would expect it to, being 4-12" away... She's obviously done it before. I was also impressed with the BGVs on "Constant Craving". Seriously tight.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search