The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Helsinki Music House Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Talking Helsinki Music House

Helsinki got the new music house, at last!
Acoustics by Nagata Acoustics , mr Toyota

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Helsinki Music House-08_31_2011_18_45_09.jpg   Helsinki Music House-08_31_2011_19_02_43.jpg  
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Matti, looks nice: new, avante-garde, open and welcoming. How does it sound?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Been watching the opening concert happening just now, and the bands ( The Radio Symphony Orchestra and The Symphony Orchestra of the city of Helsinki )
sound just so much better than before at the Finlandia House.
Pity I cannot be there....

Matti

Edit: The musicians and conductors have been commenting how much easier it is for them to play in this house
-but never been there yet as it was not open to commons like me until now
Just listened the live broadcast trough my monitors
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

I did the music mix for finnish radio. We had almost 5 hours live show from the Music Centre, that was intense! 11 acts in the main hall, 5 reporters (3 were wireless all over the building) and 5 feeds (music and reporters) from the smaller halls. Lots of unexpected situations, both in the main hall and with the reporters. Boy im glad we put wired backup mics in all the places. This was the first time ever the Centre was full with 1700 people. Great time to do a monster production

Radio had a live show, TV had a live show and the Net had a live show. It was kinda crowded there, heh.

The main hall sounds great. It carries the music beautifully. Specially pianos and soft solos sound wonderful. In fortes i think the orchestras are still learning to play in there. Its not necessary to play as loud as before. In the first Radio Orchestra rehearsals everybody in the hall jumped a bit when they played the first bang.

Since this was the first time ever the main hall was full, i was kinda nervous how the rehearsed snaps worked. To me the hall sounded even better with full house. The reverb shortens a bit, but the overall sound gets warmer, specially with basses. But of course, still learning..

They have 3 opening concerts, today im going to the hall to listen. No broadcast, which is great :D
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

I hope you can listen to this outside Finland, but heres the radio part. Radio was actual live from start to finish in the order it happened.

Helsingin Musiikkitalon avajaiset Radio 1:ss

and this is the TV. They were live too, but because of channel schedules had to run it out partly in different order.

Musiikkitalon avajaiset | Toista | YLE Areena | yle.fi

The talk is in finnish.

And heres the Centres website

http://www.musiikkitalo.fi/web/en/

Last edited by Antti P; 2nd September 2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: added a link
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Antti for joining here!

Matti
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

What a board!!!

I am listening to the beginning now. I will have to come back tomorrow to catch the whole broadcast. Thank you so much for making this available to us here. The new hall looks gorgeous. I am eagerly waiting for the introducers to stop talking and the program to start.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

On slutty side of things (the large hall/ control room),

-Main recording mixer Studer Vista 5 pretty much maxed out
-2 Stageboxes 40 in 8 out, on wheels
-radio announcers booth Studer OnAir 2500 with Relink to Vista
-for flying mics 3 DAD mic pre/ AD, capable of DXD, above the acoustic ceiling
-for flying mics Servo Reelers motors, wireless control, memory
-5.1 listening Genelec (8260/7270)
-stereo listening Lipinski (L-701/150)
-2 Bricasti M7Ms + remote
-Lexicon PCM96S
-TC 6000
-Mics Schoeps, DPA, Sennheiser, Neumann
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Antti, any assistant vacancies?

Matti
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

What a performance of the Rite of Spring - wow - and what a sound! Very impressive!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow Antti, looks like a nice place for sure! I've put off visiting Helsinki too long, I'd better go over there and visit...
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

When you come, give me a shout and we´ll do the tour.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

From the gear list you may wonder what are we doing with all the mic pres. In fact, at the moment you can have 124 mics connected to the Vista (24 from the ceiling and 100 from the stage). At 48kHz the Studer can handle it too quite easily. Im sure one day even that gig is going to happen, but so far for the large symphony bands the mic line count has been between 25 and 35.

The Music Centre has also 5 smaller halls. The system was designed to be able to switch locations very quickly. You can roll one (or two) stagebox to another room and prepare the session there while the action takes place in the large hall. Or vice versa. There is lot of fiber running across the building.

With the Studer Relink and I/O Sharing you can also record a small production from one of the small halls in the announcers booth that has Studer OnAir 2500.

For the main use of the large hall, the two symphony orchestras, mics are mostly flying. For the most part the mic lines are also motorized, with physical memory of the places. The two orchestras take turns in the hall during a typical day. Both have some kind of broadcasting activity and both record albums. There is a rehearsal hall, but its not as big as the large hall. The stage is but not the hall. So, there are going to be days when the Radio Orchestra has the rehearsal in the morning, the Helsinki Philharmonics do some album recording in the afternoon and the Radio Band does a live broadcasted concert in the evening. At the worst case the change should take place in half an hour (we´ll see about that..). Then every mic stand on stage is a risk and an obstacle. Because of this also the stage has memory.

-Antti
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's very generous of you. I'll make sure to contact you before!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

" For the most part the mic lines are also motorized, with physical memory of the places."

Oh, wow! DAW's remember your settings from different sessions. Now the Helsinki Hall has microphones that remember where they were. Amazing. I do not know if this is unique but it is impressive. The whole hall sounds just marvelous. And at a time when "the arts" in general and classical music are in decline. My hat is off to you, and all of Finland. Admirable in concept, stunning in execution.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Well.. not the DAW, its a separate system. But plenty of memory snapshots. There is some tweaking to be done with it still, but when thats done it´ll be great.

-Antti
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

I wish there was more of this here in Canada... Be it internet broadcasts, or even regular broadcasts. Europeans have it lucky in comparison!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Rite of Spring was amazing.

Finnish conductors seem to really like the hall, I hope we can hear some opinions from people outside Finland too. I should probably just go and hear it myself, though.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a video I shot about the hall and construction details including control rooms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9WfP22uN-o
Only in Finnish, alas. Antti is there also...

Edit: link updated
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the vid! Really interesting one. I have to visit this place some day when I'm in Helsinki.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

That links to the newest video of the channel (which just changed), here is the video about the music house: ISSue3: ISS Proko ja musiikkitalon rakentaminen - YouTube
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

What a gorgeous hall.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Looks v hi tech, and has the dreaded acoustic flying saucer that tamed the Albert Hall echo.
Every city should have one of these in Europe.
Sort of DIN standard Auditorium.

Pink Floyds production company are building transportable touring auditoria (Buckminster Fuller style) in the US and Europe.
Complete with ATC PA
They were, after all , originally architects.
Though there were some minnor fallings out I understand.
Bumpkin
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Here is a video I shot about the hall and construction details including control rooms: ISSue3: ISS Proko ja musiikkitalon rakentaminen - YouTube
Only in Finnish, alas. Antti is there also...

Edit: link updated
Just for the record, in the video there you can see actually two Anttis, but neither is me. For some reason there are loads of Anttis in the project and the hall´s staff. If you shout Antti in the big hall, typically you get a surround "yes?"

-Antti
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

If you want to take peak, Kurt Masur and Finnish Radio symphony Orchestra: Mozart Symphony nr 36, and Bruckner nr 7.

Kurt Masur, RSO & Mozart sinfonia nro 36 | Klassinen | Toista | YLE Areena | yle.fi

http://areena.yle.fi/video/1316211151125

Online until 16.10.2011

An earlier concert that aired in tv here yesterday. Karen Vourc´h, Sakari Oramo and FRSO; Kaija Saariaho: Quattre Instants. Online until 17.10.2011

http://areena.yle.fi/video/1316283211263

-Antti

Last edited by Antti P; 18th September 2011 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added another performance
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti P View Post
If you want to take peak, Kurt Masur and Finnish Radio symphony Orchestra: Mozart Symphony nr 36.

Kurt Masur, RSO & Mozart sinfonia nro 36 | Klassinen | Toista | YLE Areena | yle.fi

Online until 16.10.2011

-Antti
I was in the house during a rehearsal today, Masur conducting. 1.5 meter Decca tree straight above the conductor, rear mics about 4 meters behind. Stereo AB pair about 1.5m behind Decca, about 50 cm spacing. Tree mics loked like DPAs (looked through the windows), no APIs, stereo pair were side address. Can you tell the models?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

The set up for the concert was

-2 by 1 meter decca, 4006, above the conductor
-2 meter surround pair behind (can very well be 4 meters) 4006 with the middle APEs
-a 800 Twin pair, half a meter spacing, had them about 1,5 meters behind the decca
-4 compact DPA omnis as flanks (flanks, AB pairs, i call them The Wall)
-woodwinds had a spaced Schoeps mk22 pair on stands (broken motor..) and a flying pair wider and higher
-timpani had a mk21
-a very very spaced pair of mk2s above the 2ndish row, about 4 or 5 meters high, facing the band

-Antti
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Antti, thank you so much for posting the links and adding the info on mics and arrays. That is some hall. Masur, as all of us, is showing his age a bit. Still in the game, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search