The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone recorded 4 tracks with a firewire interface & a small netbook?
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Has anyone recorded 4 tracks with a firewire interface & a small netbook?

Hi

I've been trying to find a small, cheap, silent and portable way of recording 4 tracks via firewire @24bit/88.2khz with my traveler mk1.

I can currently do this using my P4/3ghz/1gbram laptop, but the laptop fan noise can be an issue and it's more cumbersome than neccessary.

A small netbook might be a good solution for me, but after loads of searching, I'm struggling to find anyone in the whole world who has experience of this.

Some small netbooks that have an expresscard slot for a firewire adapter are: Lenovo S10, Lenovo S10e, Fujitsu Amilo Mini, Asus N10J, Gigabyte M912, HP 2140

Does anyone have experience of this and could you recommend a small silent unit (around 10" screen, not a laptop) that could do the job?

Cheers

My budget is 100s or less, would be good to get confirmation that an older netbook could handle 4 track recording.
I'm already acheiving 4 tracks simultaneously with a laptop that's worth about £50
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Have a look in the 'Music computers' subforum, and do a search for netbooks, you'll find about 2 pages worth of related threads there: Gearslutz.com - Search Results
Old 1st September 2011
Get a fast food job, save some money.
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

UPDATE :

I got a motion M1400 on ebay for £60.
It is fanless and has a 4 pin texas instrument chip firewire port (so no bus power for the traveler).
Using the standard 40gb 4200rpm drive.
Shoved in the 1 gig ram chip from my other laptop (new total 1.25gig) , installed a lite version of Windows 7, changed optomisation settings for audio recording.

I've only done a couple of tests so far using Reaper :
1 hour recording 8 tracks simultaneously at 24bit/88.2khz powering traveler and motion by ac power adapters.
No problems.

Half hour recording 4 tracks simultaneously at 24bit/88.skhz powering the traveler by a direct feed from the motion's battery to the traveler power input.
So both units running off the motion battery.
No problems.

Next I'm going to make a permanent soldered connection internally in the motion so I can power the traveler.
I'm also going to look at a more reliable firewire connection, maybe internal soldering there too.
4 pin firewire ports are pish.
Right at the end of my first 1 hour test I just touched the firewire cable and it showed up on screen that the traveler was disconnected, but the recording was still fine.
Also maybe an ssd (not cheap) or sd to ide adapter (cheap) as the hard drive makes a bit of noise, but it's not much at all.

So, I have acheived my task of finding a cheap, silent portable recording solution for the traveler.
Reliability issues will be found out through time, but I'm chuffed for now.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

Do you mean "at last 4 tracks" ? I've recorded up to 20 tracks (I didn't need more) flawless via firewire...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search