The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Paul McCartney at the Grammy's...
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Talking Paul McCartney at the Grammy's...

I saw him in concert a few months ago and last night at the Grammys...the guy never gets old and can still sing and play Bass with the best of'em.... In my opinion, a much better performance than the Stones... although a different setting...

Did anybody see it...?
Old 9th February 2006
I did I thought he was great, especially Helter Skelter. I thought overall the performances were better than in the last few years.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

He rocked with Helter Skelter. Wow!!!!

Surprisingly, Kelly Clarkson kicked major ass. Who woulda thought? She actually brought a tear to my eye. Damn that girl is good!!!!
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Paul is the man....!!!

It's true that Kelly Clarkson is good, no doubt about that.... here in the South Florida Pop stations they play almost 3 songs from her album every hour (can you say HEAVY ROTATION !). I'm not kidding...it's almost nauseating. It's the same in the other stations as well, I can turn the dial all the way from one end to the other every 5 minutes and find one of her songs!

I don't know how it is in other parts but she is out there with a vengeance, almost to the point of overexposure ! Then she's at the Grammys performing and accepting awards with the best in the industry. Her career has skyrocketed like nobody I've ever seen before. But at least she is good and she's the real deal, that's the good part...

Still, I loved Paul's performance and when he said that he never played at the Grammys before and that now he finally -"Passed the audition!"- That was surprising that he never did and a funny comment as well...
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
I saw him in concert a few months ago and last night at the Grammys...the guy never gets old and can still sing and play Bass with the best of'em.... In my opinion, a much better performance than the Stones... although a different setting...
LOL, that's one long rivalry.

Yeah, Helter Skelter was amazing. Sounded like it was written yesterday.

Speaking of which, when whatsisname launched into "Yesterday" my wife said she figured Paul didn't know about it, would never have allowed it. Then Sir Paul came out himself. I was embarrassed for all of them.

I feel that this whole vain attempt to slam all the disparate styles together mostly just served to trivialize each artists own unique thing.

-R
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry guys I think Paul sucked and should retire. The new songs just don`t cut it. Yeah Helter Skelter was cool but how long will he live off of his past glory. The damn song was written 40 years ago.

I have felt this way for a long time... he needs a producer who is going to kick him in the ass in the studio and tell heim, "This sucks, you can do better." The guys a great singer and bassist but the songwriting is no longer there.
Old 9th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Still, I loved Paul's performance and when he said that he never played at the Grammys before and that now he finally -"Passed the audition!"- That was surprising that he never did and a funny comment as well...
I believe that is a reference to the end of Let it Be? You can clearly hear Lennon say "I'd like to say 'thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition."

War
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
when whatsisname launched into "Yesterday" my wife said she figured Paul didn't know about it, would never have allowed it. Then Sir Paul came out himself. I was embarrassed for all of them.

I feel that this whole vain attempt to slam all the disparate styles together mostly just served to trivialize each artists own unique thing.

Precisely. "Embarassed" is an understatement. For about 12 hours after seeing that fiasco I had a really uncharitible opinion of McCartney. Then I suddenly realized that of the 3 of them (Maca, Linkin's Park's singer, & Jay-Z), Maca came off relatively unscathed. The guy who's musical contribution [sic] was really trivialized by the whole thing was Jay-Z. Seriously, dude, if the best thing you add to a song is a couple "yeah yeah"s after every line, just get off stage.
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley
Sorry guys I think Paul sucked and should retire. The new songs just don`t cut it. Yeah Helter Skelter was cool but how long will he live off of his past glory. The damn song was written 40 years ago.

I have felt this way for a long time... he needs a producer who is going to kick him in the ass in the studio and tell heim, "This sucks, you can do better." The guys a great singer and bassist but the songwriting is no longer there.

Sorry, I disagree wholeheartedly. His latest record is filled with strong tunes.
Old 9th February 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:

"This sucks, you can do better."
That's pretty much what Nigel Godrich said to him during their sessions recording Chaos! So Paul stepped it up a bit and this album's been getting great reviews.
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Nut

Is it just me or did it seem like Kelly Clarkson's performance kind of fell apart at the end? I mean she sounded great and there was no major f**k up but right at the end it seemed like she came in too early or something on one phrase and the band was trying to follow where she was and kind of dropped out. I think they planned the ending where the band dies down but it just didn't seem like it came off the way it should have.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's tough to have a career that can end gracefully for any artist. The man is uniquely gifted doing what he's doing. When you age my friend and look back on your glory days... you may understand a bit more.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

O.K......... "he sucked", but "Helter Skelter was cool" and "The guys a great singer and bassist but the songwriting is no longer there."

If all great singers and bassists retired becuase they never wrote ONE song....we would have some major holes in some major bands!
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think it was a Rolling Stone interview several years back in which Paul said he no longer sits down to pen the great songs. Something to that effect. He goes on to say he doesn't like to put that kind of pressure on himself anymore.

I remember this, it left an impression on me and I don't know if I blame him.
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
I think it was a Rolling Stone interview several years back in which Paul said he no longer sits down to pen the great songs. Something to that effect. He goes on to say he doesn't like to put that kind of pressure on himself anymore.

I remember this, it left an impression on me and I don't know if I blame him.

Except he obviously changed his mind. Chaos and creation is as personal for Paul as the Plastic Ono Band record was for John. Both are filled with pain and beauty.
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Does anyone have a link to a clip of the show? I was working and missed it. Thank you
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

the grammys are such an annoying stinkfest...

I thought it was cool that McCartney played Helter Skelter...

I thought it was kind of depressing that he did Yesterday with frickin JayZ and Linkin Park....JayZ going "yeah, yeah" over the top...yeow....on the other hand, it shows McCartney is a pretty cool ol' guy who doesn't take himself too seriously...he can do what he wants...I wish he wouldn't do **** like that though...

I can't stand Kelly Clarkson...

Somebody explain Kanye West...he and Diddy seem like the same sort of fraud to me...they make Hammer seem like a genius...

Was Mariah Carey lip syncing...not completely, but I think they were doing the bit where if it gets iffy, they switch in a track...which, if true...pretty ****ty considering she was up for a million Grammys...and since others take such heat for it...if not, my apologies (sort of).

John Legend...what's the deal here...I thought I was in a Holiday Inn all of a sudden...what a ****ty song...where did this guy come from...the publicists for he and Joss Stone are working over time...

I guess that's enough dfegad for now....
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
Was Mariah Carey lip syncing...not completely, but I think they were doing the bit where if it gets iffy, they switch in a track...which, if true...pretty ****ty considering she was up for a million Grammys...and since others take such heat for it...if not, my apologies (sort of)
I try to avoid the grammys whenever possible. I did see Mariah Carey on a "CD USA" performance. I swear she did not even TRY to make it look like she was actually singing that song. I lost a lot of respect for her-- then I heard about all her grammy nominations . This is why I don't watch the grammys. Most of the artists receiving the awards are "performing" a song that someone else wrote. I know that is not always the case, but it happens enough to make me not care about watching it. Neilson ratings showed that most people watched American Idol instead.

I also saw Ashlee Simpson on the same "CD USA" show. There were THREE "backup" vocalists who SANG THE WHOLE DAMN SONG . Ashlee pretty much did "hyping" through the whole song, kind of like how rappers do. She pretty much could have not been on stage at all. Needless to say, I no longer watch CD USA-- if the lame artists dont drive you crazy, the moronic hosts will. There are three hosts simultaneously that have no chemistry and are uber-trendy.
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Yesterday....

"yeah, uh huh, yeah"

All my troubles seemed so far away.........

"yeah, uh huh, yeah"

I'd like to know who's the dumbass that dreamed up this recipe? Can you imagine the boardroom conference when these leaches thought it was a wonderfull idea and applauded themselves for thinking of it heh

Oooo wow, it's never been done before....it's like old meeting new...passing the torch...it shows how music progresses, but that really it doesn't.....

Anhyhow, sticking a bunch of odd things in a blender, while individually may be ok, might not be fit for human consumption after being whipped together.

This MAcca thing with JZ and that horribly off key Linkin Park fella was a bloody embarressment. A bit disrespectfull to Sir Paul for turning him into a clown. I'm surprised he played ball. Probably didn't want to look like a dick to the Grammy people.... heh
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

I completely agree 100% that the fiasco with "Yesterday" was unforgivable. Especially to die-hard Beatles fans like me. I mean, I love those guys and they are "legends". To have this clown (Jay z) belt out a few "yeahs" in the middle of a beautiful melodical piece like Yesterday almost made me PUKE !!!

Really, who the hell dreamed this up... I was looking at Paul the whole time and I swore that at one time he looked like...."WHY DID I AGREE TO THIS AND WHO IS THIS ASSHOLE TO MY LEFT". And then the Linkin Park guy belting (butchering) the song like it's some alternative rock tune.

I don't know, maybe it's just me or maybe I'm getting old but the whole thing wreaked....it just didn't work at any level...

OTOH, Madonna looked HOT !! Those legs...hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 10th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundUniverse
Does anyone have a link to a clip of the show? I was working and missed it. Thank you
Here's you go:

Helter Skelter at the Grammy's

Paul w/Linkin Park & Jay-Z

I'm not a big McCartny or Beatles fan by any means, but he kicked some serious ass at the Grammy's. Much more than the Stones did at the Superbowl. It must be that Mesa bass rig...
Old 10th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

Jay-Z said "that's right" a couple of times too, and "believe" also, along with the "yeah" and "uh huhs". You guys are discounting his talent.

War
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Jay-Z said "that's right" a couple of times too, and "believe" also, along with the "yeah" and "uh huhs". You guys are discounting his talent.

War
I must've missed those....that makes the world of difference.... dfegad
Old 10th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I must've missed those....that makes the world of difference.... dfegad
Yeah.

Uh huh.

That's right.

Believe.

War
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Believe me, I hate being hard on Paul, I`m a huge Beatle fan and no I have not heard his latest album so its possible I`m completely off in my remarks but I was not impressed with the song he played. I thought the idea of Jay Z with Linkin park was cool until Paul came out. I agree about JayZ too that the guy was clueless.

I don`t get the Hip Hop thing. To me its a lot of filler. Most of the lyrics suck and most of the music is a repetitive loop. Pretty brainless stuff to me.
Old 10th February 2006
Gear Nut

I thought Paul Mccartneys set was embarassing, the Linkin Park bit was more embarassing and I'm sorry but "Helter Skelter" does not rock at all, the drummer was going nuts but everything else was just boring. And Mariah just straight lip synced from what I could tell.

Kelly Clarkson was good and I am a huge Kanye fan but I had to turn the volume to inaudible levels during his performance because I just couldnt take it.
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

In general terms and as an idea....it just didn't work. There are some songs that should never get re-mixed and should be left alone, one of them is "Yesterday", and there are many Standards like that. What's next, a Miami, latin flavored re-mix of "White Christmas"...you know what I mean ?

Did you hear the backing track on that ....enough said. And don't get me started again on the Jay-Z thing....yuck.... dfegad
Old 10th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoni
Is it just me or did it seem like Kelly Clarkson's performance kind of fell apart at the end? I mean she sounded great and there was no major f**k up but right at the end it seemed like she came in too early or something on one phrase and the band was trying to follow where she was and kind of dropped out. I think they planned the ending where the band dies down but it just didn't seem like it came off the way it should have.
I heard it too - she came in early/late. Nice save by the musicians who corrected her.
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

I give Jay Z total kudos. You have come a loooong way when you are standing on stage with Paul McCartney while he is singing Yesterday for you, and you can go "that's right.....uh huh". It was like Paul McCartney was his bitch!
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

From the tone of your post, "You must be very young". I say that because of your disrespect to a legend like PM.

The only reason he got on there was because some sick bastard with a "say so" at the Grammys thought it would be a cool innovative idea...

Guess what ? it wasn't and it was an insult to Paul...What the hell did Jay Z accomplish in in his carrer in comparison to Paul. Who's Jay -Z 20 years from now. He clearly didn't belong there and was in over his head. If he could sing a note or two maybe it would've been passable but he couldn't do that either...

Enough said...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search