The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Studer A779 / Revox C279 Mixers (Analog)
Old 4th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Talking Studer A779 / Revox C279

Does anybody know one of these small mixers? I've read that the preamps are the same as in Studer 169, but AFAIK the latter was build in the 70's and the A779 in the 80's so I'm a bit confused...
Plus who knows about the difference between Studer A779 and Revox C279?
Last but not least: How do they SOUND? Are they much better as A&H or Soudcraft? Do they get THE sound? (I'm recording mainly acoustic jazz)

Thx
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Addict

Revox C279

Revox C279 is the same console as Studer A779, they looks identical and the only difference is probably the name. The A779s are standard equipment in professional broadcast studios. They have 6 stereo channels, great sounding mic preamps with phantom power, VCA faders and very flexible input configuration (mono/stereo lines). I bought nice Swiss made C279 and just going to try THE sound. Sure both consoles are excellent choice for spoken word, acoustic jazz or classical music recording (analog or digital). Forget Soundcraft and another crap :-)
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

The Studer A779 has balanced I/O and was supposed to be a more pro broadcastmixer than the Revox C279 in terms of build quality and pro I/O. Rest is the same.

I have the C279 and a Studer 169 and the 169 sounds better than the C279 for me. Though the C279 isn't bad at allheh.

Henk
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

The Revox C279, which I have, has balanced XLR ins and outs as well.
I like its sound very much, but haven't compared with Studer

best regards
Massimo
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Old 26th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you guys to give your opinion 18 month later!!! heh
In between I bought a Studer 169 which I find fantastic! Real high end with that vintage yet clean sound, yep! It is less portable (25kg w/o flycase) than a c279 though...
Old 18th November 2007
Gear nut

Revox c279

I have been checking out this mixer all day... it looks... perfect for me. I Have a 6 track tape machine that this would mate perfectly with. Sure, it would be nice to have a couple more channels for other things but I still think the board would be a useful purchase for me.

A couple things are still unclear to me, so can anyone with information help me out:

Can I use the 6 pres on the board to track into each one of my 6 tracks, or is this exclusively a 6 into 2 board?

Does anybody have a little clip or something that was recorded using this board?

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

The C279 has on each input channel an unbalanced (RCA or cinch) pre- and after fader output. There under the unbalanced stereo input pair.

Henk
Old 18th November 2007
Gear nut

Looking at the pictures, I see what you're saying now.

Do you use the Revox C279 in your main recording rig?
Old 21st April 2008
Gear Head

Pres?

Does anybody know how the C279 sounds? I already have a desk that I like (TAC Scorpion) but am looking for good analog pres, Cheers.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobijones View Post
What is "fader start", and what type of plug goes into these holes anyway?
Faderstart gives a puls when you raise the corresponding fader in order to start a track of e.g. CD-player or to record. Mostly use in broadcasting and DJ's.
I have a C279 so the tiny 'holes' of the A779 I only know by the picture. It looks like mini-jacks to me but I'm not certain.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmonkeys View Post
Does anybody know how the C279 sounds? I already have a desk that I like (TAC Scorpion) but am looking for good analog pres, Cheers.
Hi there! I have a C279. The pres and the mixer itself sound very good. I would say clean and neutral.
I've used the pres (with their direct ins/outs) for classical strings and keyboards.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

What would you like to know about the consoles?

i can tell you anything you want to know about them.

with thanks,

Plush
Old 7th September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

with thanks,

Plush
Mr. Plush sir,

Not a A779/C279 question, but semi-related. I need a couple of what I have heard called "mickey bars" for my 961. These would be the plastic dealies used to bridge adjacent fader pairs, i.e. the masters or 2 of the inputs. Even before Harmon killed Studer, years ago the parts guy in Northridge (JBL campus) told me they were not available. I have seen them on a couple of eBay consoles over the years, but the sellers would not separate them. I have tried the ones for P & G's, they don't fit. Any ideas?

John
Old 13th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

So Plush, what about the sound of the 779 if one compares to a 169?
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeng View Post
Mr. Plush sir,

Not a A779/C279 question, but semi-related. I need a couple of what I have heard called "mickey bars" for my 961. These would be the plastic dealies used to bridge adjacent fader pairs, i.e. the masters or 2 of the inputs. Even before Harmon killed Studer, years ago the parts guy in Northridge (JBL campus) told me they were not available. I have seen them on a couple of eBay consoles over the years, but the sellers would not separate them. I have tried the ones for P & G's, they don't fit. Any ideas?

John
Try Penny and Giles, OR

Use 20mm plumbing clips.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathologie View Post
So Plush, what about the sound of the 779 if one compares to a 169?
The sound is quite comparable. This is evident once one knows that the mic pre-amp on the two are the same.
Old 14th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
The sound is quite comparable. This is evident once one knows that the mic pre-amp on the two are the same.
the 069 I got from you has Germanium pres,some of the best...Bruce Breckenfeld really gave it a once over...

Happy Holidays
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

INCredible, Doc! You da mang.

I miss seeing you for sure.

That sound on that Studer console was PHAT, wasn't it? Niiiiiiiiiiisssche.
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

I no longer own the C279.
Absolutely excellent, gorgeous sounding mic preamps and musical, minimalist eq.
A wonderful piece of gear.
Only thing, stereo separation is its worst spec (I think -65dB or so). This is quite audible, depending on applications. The Studer 961, based on detailed info I gathered at the time, fares 15-20dB better!

best regards
Massimo
Old 16th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Use 20mm plumbing clips.
This must be a UK thing, I work in construction and have never seen these in the US.
Old 16th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
INCredible, Doc! You da mang.

I miss seeing you for sure.

That sound on that Studer console was PHAT, wasn't it? Niiiiiiiiiiisssche.
it ain't wasn't it, it still is...the blue box on floor is a mod Bruce and I did for direct outs on four channels,a little tap job!

it rides along side a MCI 1 inch 8 track when "the sound" is dejour..

Happy Holidays!
Attached Thumbnails
Studer A779 / Revox C279-089b.jpg  
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Lovely! Thanks for posting. Merry Christmas to ALL.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear interested

could you or someone else elaborate the stereo seperation please ?

Nobody mentioning the mr-8 which seems to be another comparable console ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I no longer own the C279.
Absolutely excellent, gorgeous sounding mic preamps and musical, minimalist eq.
A wonderful piece of gear.
Only thing, stereo separation is its worst spec (I think -65dB or so). This is quite audible, depending on applications. The Studer 961, based on detailed info I gathered at the time, fares 15-20dB better!

best regards
Massimo
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Looks like mr-8 is a Revox C-279 variant.
So this means an expanded 279.
Look up C279 to see specs.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoing View Post
Does anybody know one of these small mixers? I've read that the preamps are the same as in Studer 169, but AFAIK the latter was build in the 70's and the A779 in the 80's so I'm a bit confused...
Plus who knows about the difference between Studer A779 and Revox C279?
Last but not least: How do they SOUND? Are they much better as A&H or Soudcraft? Do they get THE sound? (I'm recording mainly acoustic jazz)
If you use Google translation, you'll get a lot of info esp. from member Phonomax on this forum: Das STUDER und ReVox Forum - Revox C279/Studer A779 / Studer 169/269 preamps

On the homepage you can give in the language you want to use.
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

with thanks,

Plush
Hi Plush. Can you (or anyone else) tell me how phantom power works on the revox? Is it selectable by channel or just across the desk?
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Also, does it have send and returns for a reverb unit?
Old 1st January 2015
Lives for gear

Hello patrickcrisp,

Thank you for your C279 questions. Phantom on the console is switched globally and not on a per channel basis. So phantom is either off or on for all channels.

Only with the C279 expansion chassis which sits on the bottom of the console does the C279 offer aux send / return.

On the standard console you can tap into an after-fader unbalanced channel output on a RCA connector. This could be returned from a reverb unit into two channels of the console for reverb return.

The return would also be unbalanced on RCA inputs.

Studer A779 console offers full console functionality with auxes, tape monitor return, studio monitor output etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search