The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Studer A779 / Revox C279 Mixers (Analog)
Old 31st October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for both the above replies, this board might be perfect for my needs.

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear
Some more on difference A779 ./. C279

Hi,
some precise details of the progress/difference of the Studer A779 ./. Revox C279, some of which already mentioned, you find here:

STUDER A779 | STUDER und ReVox Infoportal

https://www.studerundrevox.de/wp-con...er_a779_02.jpg

Question:

Studer 169 and A779 have the same mic preamps, right?
And I understand, mic preamp C279 = A779, according to Studers A779 & C279 circuits ?

So, apart from the A779 being some 5-6 years later (greg) than the C279:

mic preamp Studer 169 = mic preamp Studer A779 = mic preamp Revox C279?

Matthias
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I dont know from where comes this myth C279= 169. I have a Studer A779. Preamp has NOTHING to do with the 169. 169 is discrete, A779 is IC (NE5534,...), Eq based on IC... Of the all the models I owned, none was discrete, all IC. still sounds good, with good improvement marge with mods. Definitely not same as 169, nothing in common.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I got a chance to get a Revox C279 as a part of trade. And I've done some reading on it, and yes as Constantin says the preamp on the C279 is not the same league as the 169. But if I was to get it I would mainly be using it as a summing mixer, so it's a pity that the Line inputs don't have transformers as have been confirmed earlier in this thread. But is it still worthwhile getting as a summing mixer? The aux output which is unbalanced I hope is decent, is it? Not sure if the stereo output has any transformer on it, would be nice? I know the Studer A779 has one but from this thread it seems to be on the lower output which is not included in the C279.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaulsen View Post
I got a chance to get a Revox C279 as a part of trade. And I've done some reading on it, and yes as Constantin says the preamp on the C279 is not the same league as the 169. But if I was to get it I would mainly be using it as a summing mixer, so it's a pity that the Line inputs don't have transformers as have been confirmed earlier in this thread. But is it still worthwhile getting as a summing mixer? The aux output which is unbalanced I hope is decent, is it? Not sure if the stereo output has any transformer on it, would be nice? I know the Studer A779 has one but from this thread it seems to be on the lower output which is not included in the C279.

aux output is certainly good sounding.
c279 is a perfect summing desk.

i don't remember aux outs circuit exactly, but there is a thread somewhere on GS where i described details of both c279 and a779 circuits and outputs, you may want to check it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlergeist View Post

Question:

Studer 169 and A779 have the same mic preamps, right?
And I understand, mic preamp C279 = A779, according to Studers A779 & C279 circuits ?

So, apart from the A779 being some 5-6 years later (greg) than the C279:

mic preamp Studer 169 = mic preamp Studer A779 = mic preamp Revox C279?

Matthias

maybe it was stated once or twice on GS that all small studers have the same preamps, but that is not correct.

a779 and c279 (exactly the same preamp) are small simple versions of 900 series, not of much older 169.
so preamps are very similar or the same as in bigger 900 models.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaulsen View Post
But if I was to get it I would mainly be using it as a summing mixer, so it's a pity that the Line inputs don't have transformers as have been confirmed earlier in this thread.
oh yes, i forgot:

you can plug line level signal into mic input (trafos). i have tried it, and nobody got hurt, neither i or the studer. moreover, coloration on a synthesizer signal was fine, sweetish and 'noble', if i would have to describe it.
however, doing it on a daily base wouldn't be a perfect solution.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search