The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Recording trumpet
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Head

Recording trumpet

I'm studying sound engineering at a college. I'm having a blast!

I've been listening to Chris Botti lately and been getting interested in recording trumpets. Can anyone please give me some advice on micing, placement and processing?

Thanks a lot! You guys have helped me learn so much already! Shot a lot!
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd
I'm studying sound engineering at a college. I'm having a blast!

I've been listening to Chris Botti lately and been getting interested in recording trumpets. Can anyone please give me some advice on micing, placement and processing?

Thanks a lot! You guys have helped me learn so much already! Shot a lot!

Simple and effective: A SM-58 about a foot away from the bell. Point at the bell, maybe a little bit off axis to reduce exessive wind coming out of the trumpet . An off axis u-87 can also give very nice results! thumbsup
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I saw Arturo Sandoval recently, and he was miced with a Royer R121. I'm sure that would sound amazing in the studio as well.

Ken
Old 27th January 2006
Here for the gear

I've used an SM-7 on trumpet with great results. A little off topic but I just used a D112 in a session on a trombone and i thought it was great!
Old 27th January 2006

The frequency range of trumpet isn't that great, so you don't need at pricey condenser mic. You do need something well ballanced that can take a lot of SPL.

MD421 can be nice, but can end up a bit bright.

Some of the EV Neodym mics might give good results.

A foot from the bell isn't a bad place to start. You are going to want to move around the room and fid the spot that sounds good for the particular piece and performer.

-tINY

Old 28th January 2006
Gear Head

What kind of processing and techniques do they use to get that classic jazzy type sound? Sounds like there's lots of reverb but there's just some kind of atmosphere about it. Know what I mean. I looking at trying to get that kind of sound. That "soulful" trumpet.
Also, just in general, how do you get that dinner jazz type atmosphere/sound?
Old 30th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm
I saw Arturo Sandoval recently, and he was miced with a Royer R121. I'm sure that would sound amazing in the studio as well.

Ken
can't do any better than the 121 for trumpet
Old 30th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Trumpet player here.

I would love to hear the Royer with my trumpet. I don't have one of those to play with yet. Would also like to hear the 44DX! I imagine a U87 sounds pretty nice. I have a 103 and I'm not in love with it on trumpet, esp w/o pad.

But.. so far my best results have been with SM58 or RE-20... 10-20 degrees off axis, a little over a foot, or about 16 inches away.

s
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
Trumpet player here.

I would love to hear the Royer with my trumpet. I don't have one of those to play with yet. Would also like to hear the 44DX! I imagine a U87 sounds pretty nice. I have a 103 and I'm not in love with it on trumpet, esp w/o pad.

But.. so far my best results have been with SM58 or RE-20... 10-20 degrees off axis, a little over a foot, or about 16 inches away.

s
IMO,

There's a reason the (TLM)103 might not be your #1 choice: it's a VERY bright mic - something anyone should consider with recording an instrument as naturally bright as trumpet. Results could be very similar with the U87, depending how close you mic, and what the sound of the room is like (if you mic further back).

Then again - Arturo Sandoval has used the TLM103 in recordings, and he (or the producer/engineer) could choose virtually anything, so - there is no right and wrong, just what sounds good!

IME, Royer 121/122, SF-1, and AEA R-84 sound very good on trumpet, but a Coles 4038 is the hands-down winner (PS - I'm also a brass player). I have a bit of experience with the newer ribbon mics, and I LOVE them on brass. No experience with the original RCA's on brass, but I would imagine them sounding wonderful as well. I'm not enamoured with the Beyer ribbons on trumpet - a bit honky in the mids, and can often sound nasally or somewhat 'pinched', but - maybe with a different player, it might be the right tool...

If these are not in the cards, you're other choice of dynamic mics are good: RE-20 is great, but so is Senn 441 - both are workhorse mics, and can sound great on damn near anything. thumbsup

Best with it,
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that a trumpet radiates more high frequency information upwards from the bell. While this area tends to be brighter overall, I find it to have a more even balance across the range of the instrument. So although it seems like a less-than-ideal place for a mic initially, it's where I have always been most pleased with the results.

Every time I have ever used a U87 in this location, I have gotten flettering comments from the players, so it's usually my first choice. I recently got a chance to try a Lawson FET47 on trumpet and flugel and was quite happy with the results, as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 30th January 2006
Gear Nut

I've used an SM-57 and LDCs (on myself playing), both with good but differing results. The LDCs tend to give more of an airy sound. I recently tried one of the Shinybox ribbons and it really worked great. Really smooth and sharp without the airy top end of the LDC.

I can see why people like ribbons on trumpet.
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalley

Maybe a 122? heh

Pupo
Old 30th January 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalley
And can't do a lot better than Arturo Sandoval...
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

i am a trumpet player and definetly prefer the royer 121. I usually have it placed about 1 to 2 feet away directly in front of the bell. It definetly captures the tone and power of any brass instrument without any high end shrillness that other mics can produce. A coles is another good choice. My favorite of all time is a U67 but they are not readily available.
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Sony C37A. Even, rich, open and beautiful.
Old 30th January 2006
Hi,

I just used a Rode K2 in cardiod about a foot away, about 6" above the bell, pointing down alittle.Worked great! Alittle proximity, not too much.Player came in alittle closer when using Flugelhorn, for added proximity and more intimate sound.This idea of having the mic slightly above the main airstream and facing down/ looking through the airstream as opposed to right at it works great for me irregardless of mic. I've used royer 122 as well-also great-depends on the player and stile of music.I like dynamics for slso-beyer m69 or 201 are cool and re20 for less brightness.Just don't let him play whilst you adjust the mic dfegad !

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search