The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 DPA "all-in-one"for orchestral/choir and pop recording? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Neve 1073 DPA "all-in-one"for orchestral/choir and pop recording?

Hi, excuse me if there is a post like this one, I haven't found it. If so, please point me there...
I record overall classical music in different auditoriums ("auditoria" in Latin?) with pretty standard microphones as DPA 4011, Schoeps CMC, Earthworks QTC, Neumann KM,... to an Alesis HD24XR, but also work in my studio recording folk and even rock music (you know, have to be busy...)
I already own one Millennia HV3C preamp, DAV BG1, and Fosusrite Octopre for remote, also a Presonus and a Yamaha 01V96 if need more than 12 tracks.
In my studio I have other "fatter" preamps for another kind of sound, as API 512, Avalon737, Chameleon, Golden Age,...

Now I need another stereo preamp, I could buy a Grace, a pair of True 501 or another HV3, but I would like an all-rounder if it exists, so my question is: Will the Neve 1073 DPA be a good stereo preamp for "all-in-one"? I mean fast and transparent enough for using it on orchestra/choir, but not as clean as a Millennia, for instance. Or perhaps do you know a possible alternative? My budget is about $2,5K. Please keep in mind I should have to find it in Spain, or at least in Europe, please forget about boutique items hand-made by an insane hermit into a cave on Alaska that you slutties like so much to own...
Thanks a lot.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruidostudios View Post
Hi, excuse me if there is a post like this one, I haven't found it. If so, please point me there...
I record overall classical music in different auditoriums ("auditoria" in Latin?) with pretty standard microphones as DPA 4011, Schoeps CMC, Earthworks QTC, Neumann KM,... to an Alesis HD24XR, but also work in my studio recording folk and even rock music (you know, have to be busy...)
I already own one Millennia HV3C preamp, DAV BG1, and Fosusrite Octopre for remote, also a Presonus and a Yamaha 01V96 if need more than 12 tracks.
In my studio I have other "fatter" preamps for another kind of sound, as API 512, Avalon737, Chameleon, Golden Age,...

Now I need another stereo preamp, I could buy a Grace, a pair of True 501 or another HV3, but I would like an all-rounder if it exists, so my question is: Will the Neve 1073 DPA be a good stereo preamp for "all-in-one"? I mean fast and transparent enough for using it on orchestra/choir, but not as clean as a Millennia, for instance. Or perhaps do you know a possible alternative? My budget is about $2,5K. Please keep in mind I should have to find it in Spain, or at least in Europe, please forget about boutique items hand-made by an insane hermit into a cave on Alaska that you slutties like so much to own...
Thanks a lot.
Crookwood
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

A few of us here use the Pacifica for classical work. It should be a nice allrounder in my opinion.
I know Ben uses it quite a bit, and I have recently used it on some major classical releases.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Neve 1073 DPA "all-in-one"for orchestral/choir and pop recording?

No I would not recommend the AMS-Neve DPA. I owned one and it did not suit me here. I would simply load up on more mic amps from d.a.v. electronics such as a BG#2. It is the best sound.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks

Thanks to all, I will probably follow your advice and get another DAV BG2 (the one I already own is stereo, the BG1U) or more probably one stereo Pacifica preamp, it's my birthday in a few days and my wife won't be able to deny it to me then -I hope...-tutt
Cheers.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Neve preamps are amazing for classical music. I recently wet my pants when I heard a raw recording of an orchestra through twenty 1073 units.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
but I would like an all-rounder if it exists
You already have it, and it´s named DAV.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Neve preamps are amazing for classical music. I recently wet my pants when I heard a raw recording of an orchestra through twenty 1073 units.
I think I might like to hear something like this someday
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

The DAV preamps are very musical and will never disappoint whatever you record on them.

They manage detail and clarity without any hint of harshness, and they sound large too, superb design.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search