The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Small battery powered monitors Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking Small battery powered monitors

Does anyone know of a pair of battery powered speakers that I could run for 45 minutes to one hour at reasonable levels (say peak 85 dBC) in a not very large room?

I'm looking for something that sounds like the AudioEngine A2's and are the same size. These are not for critical use, rather being able to play things for people, something to have at a meeting, use in a hotel, etc. (Yes I know, but I really want a battery powered option.)

I'm fine with cobbling together an NiMH pack, or buying one of the _small_ general lithium batteries and chargers that are sometimes mentioned here.

(BTW, the A2's require dual 17.5 volts and a bespoke connector, so I'm wondering if there's something a little simpler to power. That's all I get from their tech email writer at the time, I don't know if that's plus and minus.)

Again, the priority is _small_ and lightweight, decent quality (AE-A2's), and speed of setup= battery powered.

Ideas?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Remote Audio, an arm of Trew Audio in Nashville, manufactures and sells a pretty good speaker that runs on a 9v battery (!). Or external PSU. Here is the link:

Remote Audio SPEAKEASY v3 | Trew Audio

Now this is no near-field monitor for mixing but they make fine utility monitors. I own and use three of them regularly in my day job as a motion picture soundman and they work just fine.

D.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have an old Lectrosonics "MaxiMouse" which has been great for this kind of thing. It has an internal gel-cel battery, can take two inputs from dynamic mic to hot line level, etc.. and play loud all day (was a fave of street musicians). I would describe the sound as mid-fi, but loud. I wonder if the Speakeasy will play that loud that long on its internal batt? Maybe get an external battery for them?

phil p
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Philper and tourtelot!

After I posted, I looked at more things on line-and became even more certain I'm looking for something that's an impossibility and/or doesn't exist.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into those-at least I know that my quest is not completely crazy.

I welcome more suggestions.......!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I have an old Lectrosonics "MaxiMouse" which has been great for this kind of thing. It has an internal gel-cel battery, can take two inputs from dynamic mic to hot line level, etc.. and play loud all day (was a fave of street musicians). I would describe the sound as mid-fi, but loud. I wonder if the Speakeasy will play that loud that long on its internal batt? Maybe get an external battery for them?

phil p
I didn't get from the OP that he was looking for loud. I don't think that the Speakeasy will be loud but I think that it will sound more "hi-fi" than the Mouse amp. It's a two-way speaker.

BTW, I have had one of those (the original, not the Maxi) since they were new. My first Lectrosonics product! I still use it ALL the time as a quick and easy playback on the set. Brilliant piece of gear!

D.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Small battery powered monitors

The K+H PAS 100 may be worth looking at.

Battery and reasonably priced.

But as I'm international roaming with only an iPhone I can't look up and see how they compare in size to the ones you mention.

Anchor Audio also do battery portables and as they are a US company, may be cheaper over there.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The K+H PAS 100 may be worth looking at.

Battery and reasonably priced.

But as I'm international roaming with only an iPhone I can't look up and see how they compare in size to the ones you mention.

Anchor Audio also do battery portables and as they are a US company, may be cheaper over there.

I had no idea about the KH mentioned. That's a surprise.

I'll be looking at Anchor, too. Didn't know about that either.

Thanks, John!

So far, I've not been aware of a single product mentioned in this thread, so, for other readers, please do continue to contribute.

This has been interesting and enlightening so far.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
I had no idea about the KH mentioned. That's a surprise.

I'll be looking at Anchor, too. Didn't know about that either.

Thanks, John!

So far, I've not been aware of a single product mentioned in this thread, so, for other readers, please do continue to contribute.

This has been interesting and enlightening so far.
We run a pair of Anchor (8"+tweet, one powered and one extension) that do pretty well off the wall, at church. I'm not sure about the battery life, though... never used them that way. I also have a smaller Anchor (2500, maybe?) that I got from a AV liquidator for $45 a couple of years ago. It's loud and good enough to use as a FOH reference monitor on smaller PA gigs to check feeds and feedback. It's AC only, although I think they made it with a battery option.

If bulk isn't an issue, use a 12v auto battery and a clean DC->120v AC converter and your choice of speaker-on-stick (JBL, RCF, Mackie, QSC...)

HB
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Small battery powered monitors

I forgot to mention that both the K+H and Anchor units can take radiomic receivers to make them truly wireless, both from the mains and mic. cables as well.

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

You might consider the Tivoli Audio PAL. They have an internal rechargeable battery, and really sound surprisingly good for their size. One of them would give you a mono mix (from a stereo input), or you could get a pair for the full effect.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I didn't get from the OP that he was looking for loud.
Correct. Something that might hit about 85 dBC peak in a smallish room.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
You might consider the Tivoli Audio PAL. They have an internal rechargeable battery, and really sound surprisingly good for their size. One of them would give you a mono mix (from a stereo input), or you could get a pair for the full effect.
That is an imaginative suggestion, and presents a lot of options.

I tried one of these a few years ago for my radio in the bedroom, but it had a low level whine and in the day or two before it was returned, the LCD and whatever drove it bit the dust.

I do think it works for most people, however, many have commented about the whine. I can't remember now what conditions made that so apparent, but that alone was a nonstarter for me. Again, not everyone's experience, to be sure.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
That is an imaginative suggestion, and presents a lot of options.

I tried one of these a few years ago for my radio in the bedroom, but it had a low level whine and in the day or two before it was returned, the LCD and whatever drove it bit the dust.

I do think it works for most people, however, many have commented about the whine. I can't remember now what conditions made that so apparent, but that alone was a nonstarter for me. Again, not everyone's experience, to be sure.
Hmm - haven't noticed any extraneous noises on our PAL, but that's not to say they couldn't exist, especially when it's working as a radio. Are you sure the unit you had was a PAL? They don't have any LCDs or other displays, and have a wall-wart power supply that recharges the battery.

In any case, thanks for starting this thread - I'm learning a lot!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The school I am a brass tech at has a pair of speakers from Anchor for PA and metronome amplification for marching band rehearsal. They sound good, and provided the kids remember to plug them in, the battery life is pretty good.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
Are you sure the unit you had was a PAL? They don't have any LCDs or other displays, and have a wall-wart power supply that recharges the battery.
My mistake. It wasn't a PAL. It was a different Tivoli product (it also offered on board charging), and it was that one that people were having problems with, not the PAL.

Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 4th January 2011
Super Moderator

We have about six or so K+H PAS 100s each with a Sennheiser wireless unit in them.

They are very handy when you have clear line of sight (transmitter/receiver,) but the cable run is too difficult to manage.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

How about:

Carvin.com :: S400

oh, never mind you don't need loud.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Post ion Tailgater works well

I bought a pair of these monitors for the rare occasions that I have to play my keyboard and ac power is questionable or non-existent.

They fill a room pretty well, imho.

Rick Z

TAILGATER
Old 29th April 2013
Here for the gear

Easy to use, very quick, battery power

The Carvin Stagemate S400D fits all the criteria and is not all that expensive. Same as the S400 but with Digital effects onboard, The S400 is discontinued. The Anchor speakers mentioned, the Explorer and Liberty series, are also nice. I have a set each of the older Explorer and Liberty speakers. I also have the older Anchor Voyager speakers. The Carvin S400D is less expensive than the Anchor speakers. Carvinguitars.com, Anchoraudio.com
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear
Look out for used Nagra DSM monitors
Slightly harsh tweeters but excellent battery (d cells) autonomy and bullet proof
I had Anchor Liberty pairs,not as musical and much bigger.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Guru

Sennheiser launched a new battery loudspeaker at ProLight+Sound a couple of weeks back.

Also wireless, so no cables at all.

It's the replacement for the old K+H PAS range.
Old 30th April 2013
Super Moderator

Will it be branded as a Neumann or as a Sennheiser product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Sennheiser launched a new battery loudspeaker at ProLight+Sound a couple of weeks back.

Also wireless, so no cables at all.

It's the replacement for the old K+H PAS range.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Will it be branded as a Neumann or as a Sennheiser product?
It's a Sennheiser product.

The LSP 500 PRO - info HERE.

The K+H studio monitors are Neumann
The K+H install and public address units are Sennheiser products
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting, but looks rather big and heavy compared to the OP's original request for something to replace the AudioEngine A2 (which was eighteen months ago or so, I know.) I can't find any specs for size and weight, but I may be looking in the wrong place. Any more info?

John
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound View Post
Interesting, but looks rather big and heavy compared to the OP's original request for something to replace the AudioEngine A2 (which was eighteen months ago or so, I know.) I can't find any specs for size and weight, but I may be looking in the wrong place. Any more info?

John
The link I posted is the only one I can find - availability from May (which is about now), so I would expect them o get the full spec. up on the website shortly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search