The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

24 channel budget card Audio Interfaces
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Talking 24 channel budget card

What is the current budget solution for recording 24 tracks live into DAW?

I own an ALESIS 24 but its such a hassle to get into the computer would be greater to record directly into the daw

E
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Simplest AFAIK is the PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2, if you can use a live mixer as well. Mine replaced a Mackie Onyx 1640 which had served well for about 5 years (it replacing a Mackie Onyx 1220 to get the 16+2 with mic amps... both are still in the gear locker). The PreSonus is Plug-and-Play with their "Capture" software (I run a MacBook Pro), and dang close to that with Logic Pro 9.

If 24 channels of decent mic amps (I'd be surprised if they weren't as good as anything Alesis has released), with a full Fat Channel of processing (phase reverse, LPF, gate, compressor, limiter, four band parametric/shelf EQ) on every input, ten auxes and two dedicated FX busses, with four submasters, at about $125/channel (street) isn't "budget"... I may be just a silly man. And, for my $3k, a better deal by far than a JoeCo BlackBox recorder.

Check here (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...-16-4-2-a.html) - post #4 - for a mp3 quickie-mix from the console... a stereo REC out board mix for reference... the gig was tracked through Logic and a HD24 for backup.

HB
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

24 channel budget card

One of the many fw interfaces with 2x adat plus 8x analog I'd guess.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

And exactly what setup is that 2011 from a budget perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
One of the many fw interfaces with 2x adat plus 8x analog I'd guess.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

great answer but if i rephrase, no preamps needed, all from FOH desk, and no FX needed. (noone setting up, just plugging in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Simplest AFAIK is the PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2, if you can use a live mixer as well. Mine replaced a Mackie Onyx 1640 which had served well for about 5 years (it replacing a Mackie Onyx 1220 to get the 16+2 with mic amps... both are still in the gear locker). The PreSonus is Plug-and-Play with their "Capture" software (I run a MacBook Pro), and dang close to that with Logic Pro 9.

If 24 channels of decent mic amps (I'd be surprised if they weren't as good as anything Alesis has released), with a full Fat Channel of processing (phase reverse, LPF, gate, compressor, limiter, four band parametric/shelf EQ) on every input, ten auxes and two dedicated FX busses, with four submasters, at about $125/channel (street) isn't "budget"... I may be just a silly man. And, for my $3k, a better deal by far than a JoeCo BlackBox recorder.

Check here (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...-16-4-2-a.html) - post #4 - for a mp3 quickie-mix from the console... a stereo REC out board mix for reference... the gig was tracked through Logic and a HD24 for backup.

HB
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Whats the hassle with getting it into the computer, a client of mine brings in live shows on a HD24 disk, I have a program (hd24 connect) that reads it and converts it to wavs. has worked perfectly every time.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
Whats the hassle with getting it into the computer, a client of mine brings in live shows on a HD24 disk, I have a program (hd24 connect) that reads it and converts it to wavs. has worked perfectly every time.
Absolutely right; all you need an Alesis Fireport or equivalent:

Alesis HD24 FirePort 1394 Firewire Expansion Board | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

And this software which is free:

HD24tools
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Absolutely right; all you need an Alesis Fireport or equivalent:

Alesis HD24 FirePort 1394 Firewire Expansion Board | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

And this software which is free:

HD24tools
I just take the bare drive out of the alesis caddy, pop it into a firewire case and plug it into the computer.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
I just take the bare drive out of the alesis caddy, pop it into a firewire case and plug it into the computer.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that there are a number of 3rd party caddies that work just as well as the Fireport.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsemil View Post
great answer but if i rephrase, no preamps needed, all from FOH desk, and no FX needed. (noone setting up, just plugging in)
Sorry... In my ham-and-beer soaked post-Christmas reverie I didn't realize a "Alesis 24" was a "Alesis HD24". My bad.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post

HB
Presonus 24: No TC. No ext clock. Dealbreakers for me. Also--JoeCo is REALLY small--rack mount and only about 4 inches deep, and weighs nothing, so that's something in many situations. But it is great bang for buck if those features aren't important to you.

24 tracks to a computer: Traveler Mk3 and 2 8Pres? Boom Recorder or Reaper as the app?

phil p
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Just skimmed through the thread and didn't see it mentioned. The motu 24i/o might be just what you're looking for.
Old 27th December 2010
Super Moderator

Quote:

I own an ALESIS 24 but its such a hassle to get into the computer would be greater to record directly into the daw

E
I found the Alesis Fireport a very simple way to transfer the HD24 files to my external hard drive.

Are you not using the Fireport to transfer your files?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head
I've been using Fireport for 3 years now and it works perfectly for me.
24 tracks to a laptop? Presonus Firestudio plus 2 8ch ADAT pres. HD24 as a backup. Haven't had any problems with this setup so far.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

E
I find no hassles dumping files with the HD24tools.
If you need to go direct (live) the M-Audio Lightbridge is a solution. I have done this for duping files. I even have transferred files real-time, while reviewing them for edit and taking notes.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeSound View Post
Just skimmed through the thread and didn't see it mentioned. The motu 24i/o might be just what you're looking for.
this seems just like what i look for but its PCI right?
still not really working for the touring then.

good advice though.

the problem with the bridge from HD24 is IT TAKES TIME.

recording 30 shows on a tour, you dont want to save it all, be able to check things pretty soon and bounce stuff. so much easier if everything is in the computer from the start.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the problem with the bridge from HD24 is IT TAKES TIME.
The Fireport uses Firewire. With the HD24tools software copying files to the computer is extremely fast. Almost everyone who needs high transfer speeds uses HD24tools with a Fireport or equivalent disc caddy. It also lets you select the tracks you want to transfer so you don't have to put tracks you won't use on the computer. In a word it's elegant.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

You go from the hd24 to the lightbridge to your laptop while you are recording the show. It takes only the time to set it up.
Old 6th January 2011
Here for the gear

Just throwing it out there, i'm thinking of getting 2x these: [Damn. Site is down but i was going to link to Echo audiofire 12s]

No pres but i guess that's the same deal with the HD24 too.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Nut

I picked up an external USB or Firewire unit that the HD24 caddy slips right into. Got it from Vipower (same folks who made the caddies for Alesis) for under $50).

Use this with the HD24Tools from Marc Brevoort and it works beautifully. Very fast and simple.

Go to the HD24 user group on Yahoo. I posted a writeup on doing this (with links to the Vipower site etc...showing the external unit) on that forum.

Here's a link to it (you'll have to sign up on the user group to access this I think)...

Yahoo! Groups

I pull 24 chan's of 24 bit/44.1 wav's into Cubase this way. Very fast and simple.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Curveball.

Buy a used RME HDSP 9652 Hammerfall.

I have consistently found them on the used market for around $250 to $275. They are the shiznit and they can be cascaded with 2 more cards for a total of 78 channels I/O.

You'd need some ADAT compatible converter boxes but IMHO the RME is one kick ass card for recording period.

Peace
Illumination
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Curveball.

Buy a used RME HDSP 9652 Hammerfall.

I have consistently found them on the used market for around $250 to $275. They are the shiznit and they can be cascaded with 2 more cards for a total of 78 channels I/O.

You'd need some ADAT compatible converter boxes but IMHO the RME is one kick ass card for recording period.

Peace
Illumination
+1 on the RME gear. I use their HDSPe express card to run their Digiface on my laptop and their HDSP PCI card to run their Multiface (and/or Digiface) on my deskside system. Rock solid, reliable and their Total mix and Digicheck software is fantastic.

While i use a laptop as my primary system I have an HD24XR as a backup machine and I must say, though I certainly wouldn't want to try any serious editing on it, it's simple, incredibly solid and reliable. Great convertors in the xr too. Sometimes I use it just for that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search