The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second go at LCR omni... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Second go at LCR omni...

As promised, here are a few clips from the Sunday, December 19 "Carols and Candlelight" concert at FBC Nashville. The setup was slightly different, in that the steps to the platform were covered by a temporary stage for the orchestra (the Nashville String Machine, augmented by FBC players) and the mics were up against the edge of the stage (about 12' - 3.5m - closer), and separated by six feet (2m or so) rather than the 12 foot (3.5m) spacing for the brass group. Gefell M296s on the flanks; DPA 4061 (sans grill) in the center, about 9' high. The center of the choir was spotted by a pair of Neumann TLM193s about 7' up, between the orchestra and the front row of choristers. They are muted out of the first and clip, and in just enough to notice when they're muted in the second and third clips, and panned about 50% toward the center from L/R. The DPA is mixed -2dB relative to the L/R pair, which are panned hard L/R.

The photos are house left and center views; the DPA 4061 atop Frankenstand; the 193s; and the array from stage right.

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcomed.

And... before the day ends... Merry Christmas!

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Second go at LCR omni...-hb7_1222.jpg   Second go at LCR omni...-hb7_1225.jpg   Second go at LCR omni...-hb7_1226.jpg   Second go at LCR omni...-hb7_1235.jpg   Second go at LCR omni...-hb7_1232a.jpg  

Attached Files

From %22A Festival of Carols%22 320.mp3 (3.59 MB, 2779 views)

%22Fum! Fum! Fum!%22.mp3 (3.64 MB, 2444 views)

From %22Christmas Hymn%22.mp3 (6.33 MB, 1787 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
As promised, here are a few clips from the Sunday, December 19 "Carols and Candlelight" concert at FBC Nashville. The setup was slightly different, in that the steps to the platform were covered by a temporary stage for the orchestra (the Nashville String Machine, augmented by FBC players) and the mics were up against the edge of the stage (about 12' - 3.5m - closer), and separated by six feet (2m or so) rather than the 12 foot (3.5m) spacing for the brass group. Gefell M296s on the flanks; DPA 4061 (sans grill) in the center, about 9' high. The center of the choir was spotted by a pair of Neumann TLM193s about 7' up, between the orchestra and the front row of choristers. They are muted out of the first and clip, and in just enough to notice when they're muted in the second and third clips, and panned about 50% toward the center from L/R. The DPA is mixed -2dB relative to the L/R pair, which are panned hard L/R.

The photos are house left and center views; the DPA 4061 atop Frankenstand; the 193s; and the array from stage right.

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcomed.

And... before the day ends... Merry Christmas!

HB
Thanks for uploading these!

My first take as a listener is that I can hear the resemblance with the Mercury classics. A vivid "musical" and engaging sound on one hand but also one that lacks 3D depth especially in louder parts where the center easily gets a little overblown. It certainly has it's own "charm" but not totally convincing if "natural" is the highest goal. The spotted choir made things even flatter 3D wise, did you use any delay for those?

I should add that I listened on headphones, which may be lacking for this kind of microphone technique, which should ideally be listened to through speakers.

::
Mads
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks, Mads. The spots were "moved" into time by synchronizing them to the omnis via matching a snare drum strike recorded about 2 minutes after the concert ended.

I was watching some Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra with my wife on Christmas eve, and we played "find the mics"... there must have been (in addition to a flown Decca tree) at least 40... eight or so 414s in figure 8 between the handbells and the brass, four Schoeps in front of the conductor for first chair strings, a wad of Beyer M160s on the upper winds... pretty soon we lost track. While everything was definitely "there", it did sound somewhat flat. Of course, it was compressed to death for broadcast. Ahh... the choices...

In that room, I may be leaning toward returning to a 40cm AB with the Gefells over the conductor. It's fun to play, though.

Onward to the New Year!

HB
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Very nice recording

Can you tell me what is the third sample (Christmas hymn) ?

Thanks
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm View Post
Very nice recording

Can you tell me what is the third sample (Christmas hymn) ?

Thanks
Program notes say "Christmas Hymn... arr. Clydesdale" It's the song by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith written in the late '80s, the choral arrangement published in 1993, arranged by David T. Clydesdale. According to this (CHRISTMAS HYMN - Word Music) it's currently out of print.

You can see Amy Grant perform it here (YouTube - AMY GRANT - Christmas Hymn)

Cheers!

HB
Old 27th December 2010
I like these recordings much more. Nice sound, good image. Love those Gefells.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

I just purchased a Pair of the 4061's. Thanks for posting this. sounds great...

Might be a dumb question because I haven't recieved them yet but how do you mount them on the mic stand as they are so small?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Program notes say "Christmas Hymn... arr. Clydesdale" It's the song by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith written in the late '80s, the choral arrangement published in 1993, arranged by David T. Clydesdale. According to this (CHRISTMAS HYMN - Word Music) it's currently out of print.

You can see Amy Grant perform it here (YouTube - AMY GRANT - Christmas Hymn)
Thanks Harry
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search