The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Will using a PAD, Kill my schoeps CMIT5u? Utility Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Question Will using a PAD, Kill my schoeps CMIT5u?

Hey fellas,

As an early Christmas present, by my over eager wife, I was given a
new Schoeps CMIT 5u.

I'm very grateful, but I only have a Fostex FR2-LE recorder, the topic of field recorder compatibility with microphones, never came up in our romance together...

I know i need a better recorder, and mixer.

But for now... can I just use an "Attenuator PAD" instead to lower my output frequency, or do i risk permanently damage this sensitive microphone?

Schoepes says nothing about a pad on the specs.
Old 22nd December 2010
So it's clipping the Fostex line inputs is it? Sure - use a pad, if you have to. But ideally, just lower the gain of the Fostex so it doesn't clip.

A pad can't damage a mic. It's there to prevent clipping in the preamp that follows the mic.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

using a pad

I agree with Kiwi. A pad can't damage a mic, you're field recorder should work fine for now.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

but....

with that Set Up your gonna have a lotta other issues to deal with down the road.

at least if you plan on using it for commercial purposes. ...
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

pads and other buisness

Thank you for you advice Kiwi. I'm lookin at some
Inline Attenuators MDZ 10 / MDZ 20

Inline Attenuators MDZ*10*/*MDZ*20 - Overview - SCHOEPS.de

by Schoepes. They're supposedly flawless and reduce impudence in my mics.

And MICFOLEY, what are some of the big issues you see forthcoming with this setup?
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

also

has any one heard anything about the

by schoepes? worth the money or go with a $20 version on ebay?
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

BIG ISSUES WITH FR2LE, CMIT5u set up

It really depends on what you use it for. For nature recording it should be just fine. For film, you'd obvious need more microphones- as a first thing- I hope you have that.

Also, your budget field recorder, will destroy whatever polished quality you'd normally get from the Schoepes CMIT.

Check out some of the oade updates: @

OADE BROTHERS AUDIO Field Recording Experts, Sony, Tascam, Marantz, Fostex, Compact Flash recorders

there's a start.... Am I wrong thinking this? what does everyone else think?
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

ANybody else? thoughts on pads and Fostex FR2LE shortcomings?

We completely hogged this post frosty.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.frost View Post
Thank you for you advice Kiwi. I'm lookin at some

Inline Attenuators MDZ*10*/*MDZ*20 - Overview - SCHOEPS.de

by Schoepes. They're supposedly flawless and reduce impudence in my mics.

And MICFOLEY, what are some of the big issues you see forthcoming with this setup?
Why would a company like Schoeps offer a product capable of damaging another one of their products?
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

maybe

maybe, The schoepes will kill you recorder though.

48 volt phantom probably won't run a schoepes. Check the ma on the scheopes. and see it requires more than you recorder can provide.
Old 23rd December 2010
First off, your wife is awesome.

Secondly, I think that the FR-2LE is a fine recorder. I haven't tried that combination myself, but I wasn't aware of a phantom power issue with that combination. Do you actually need a pad or are you assuming that you do in order to "protect the microphone"? Pads in no circumstances do anything for the mic, they lower the output levels that your mic preamps see, so are only used when your recording something so loud that it causes your preamps to clip. If your not clipping, then you don't need the pads. I happen to own the MDZ10 pads, but can't say that they are any better or worse than any other manufacturer's pad. There more of a utility thing, not necessarily a critical audible component.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

on power supply

The fostex fr2le max output is 300 mW,

if 1 mw=1Ma, it'd mean that a

4.4 mA microphone could be supported. I'm just not sure if 1 mW=1 Ma always????
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

and my wife is awesome, thank you visser.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

I'm reading more about the basics...

about mic impedance, output sensitivity, self noise, and power req before even risking plugging in the mic.

I never worried about any of this stuff with my ECM 672 and it just ran fine.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
The fostex fr2le max output is 300 mW,

if 1 mw=1Ma, it'd mean that a

4.4 mA microphone could be supported. I'm just not sure if 1 mW=1 Ma always????
unless my math / logic is screwing, 300 mW @ 48VDC should be 300 / 48 = 6.25 mA current capability.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

I read on this article that:

"Phantom powering is not always implemented correctly or adequately, even in professional-quality preamps, mixers, and recorders. In part this is because first-generation (late-1960s through mid-1970s) 48-volt phantom-powered condenser microphones had simple circuitry and required only small amounts of operating current (typically less than 1 mA per microphone), so the phantom supply circuits typically built into recorders, mixers, and preamps of that time were designed on the assumption that this current would be adequate. The original DIN 45596 phantom-power specification called for a maximum of 2 mA. This practice has carried forward to the present; many 48-volt phantom power supply circuits, especially in low-cost and portable equipment, simply cannot supply more than 1 or 2 mA total without breaking down. Some circuits also have significant additional resistance in series with the standard pair of supply resistors for each microphone input; this may not affect low-current microphones much, but it can disable microphones that need more current."- Phantom power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure. You're probably right visser.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
I'm reading more about the basics...

about mic impedance, output sensitivity, self noise, and power req before even risking plugging in the mic.

I never worried about any of this stuff with my ECM 672 and it just ran fine.
heh

You'll be glad you boned up in the long run. I have never once wished that I knew less about how things work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search