The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

FYI - The Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking FYI - The Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia

Here is a blurb on this largest of all organs:

In Philly, Wanamaker organ is Christmas tradition - Yahoo! News
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Here is a blurb on this largest of all organs:

In Philly, Wanamaker organ is Christmas tradition - Yahoo! News
I live in Philly and I remember hearing and seeing it when I was a kid (a long time agothumbsup) Thanks for the reminder...thumbsup
Peace and Merry Christmas
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, Philly has some cool music performances like the Borse antiphonal brass at Christmastime. I thought the world's largest organ was convention hall in Atlantic City NJ.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Yeah, Philly has some cool music performances like the Borse antiphonal brass at Christmastime. I thought the world's largest organ was convention hall in Atlantic City NJ.
it is, well for the number of pipes, about 33 k, including a full lengh 64' Dulzian,,,, but its not 100% payable, whereas the wanamaker, has only about 28k pipes, but is mostly playable, if not all of it
Peter ( organ nut)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Smile Wannamaker organ and Hallelujah Chorus

Have a look and listen:

The Wannamaker Organ, 650+ singers including the Opera Company of Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Singers and others, a "Random Act of Culture" -very inspiring (6 million plus hits so far)

YouTube - Opera Company of Philadelphia "Hallelujah!" Random Act of Culture

Bill
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Post Be sure to turn on your subwoofer . .

The above link is to one of the few YouTube's with good sound, including very low bass. It sounds great with subwoofer on . .

FWIW,
Rick Z
Old 7th January 2011
Here for the gear

I'm the recording enginner who recorded the Random Act of Culture along with all the commercial recordings done on that remarkable instrument. Nice to know you enjoyed the sound.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanamaker View Post
I'm the recording enginner who recorded the Random Act of Culture along with all the commercial recordings done on that remarkable instrument. Nice to know you enjoyed the sound.
Great job. You boss is getting his money's worth. thumbsup
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

This post brought back some good memories of recording the Philadelphia Orchestra with this grand organ a few years back. I was hired by Charles Gagnon as an A2, I provided AES converters & fiber snakes up to the control room - flights and flights upstairs.

The house staff of organ techs & recording engineers are second to none. I believe that these may even be volunteer positions - for the love of the craft.

Here's a couple pics from the day.

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails
FYI - The Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia-img_2367.jpg   FYI - The Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia-img_2376.jpg   FYI - The Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia-img_2396.jpg  
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tell us how you did it, please.
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

Recording the Random Act of Culture

[QUOTE=boojum;6193667]Tell us how you did it, please.[/QUOTE

The recording was done using four DPA-4006TL Omni mic's suspended from our overhead high-wire trolly system. Two mic's facing the organ, and two facing straight down on the Grand Court. The rig is about 70' above the main floor suspended across the third floor on moveable sleds so the mic's can be easily positioned. The signals were then feed about 600 feet to our recording studio control room. The Video Company only wanted a MONO feed sent to their cameras, but I also gave them a high-resolution stereo disc which was used for the actual YouTube video everyone saw. Jim
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Wanamaker;6202873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Tell us how you did it, please.[/QUOTE

The recording was done using four DPA-4006TL Omni mic's suspended from our overhead high-wire trolly system. Two mic's facing the organ, and two facing straight down on the Grand Court. The rig is about 70' above the main floor suspended across the third floor on moveable sleds so the mic's can be easily positioned. The signals were then feed about 600 feet to our recording studio control room. The Video Company only wanted a MONO feed sent to their cameras, but I also gave them a high-resolution stereo disc which was used for the actual YouTube video everyone saw. Jim
Jim, that is a pretty simple mic setup. It worked marvelously. There were instances in the YouTube when a sole singer was featured in the video and it seemed the voice track was a bit matched to that in volume, i.e., it seemed to be a bit louder. Is that my imagination playing tricks on me??
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=boojum;6203404]
Quote:

Jim, that is a pretty simple mic setup. It worked marvelously. There were instances in the YouTube when a sole singer was featured in the video and it seemed the voice track was a bit matched to that in volume, i.e., it seemed to be a bit louder. Is that my imagination playing tricks on me??
No, whatever db level each performer produced was exactly what you heard. Once the levels were established at the very beginning, no gain adjustments or mixing was performed. So, what they did in performance is what I captured.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search