The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Can I say: This is master! Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Talking Can I say: This is master!

Be honest please....
Attached Files

10 - MASTER.mp3 (6.90 MB, 340 views)

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds great! thumbsup Studio or live? The mix is left channel heavy, so I guess I'd like it panned out more evenly if it was multi-tracked. I'm wanting more of the kit, too. While I'm wishing, how about a bit of reverb? A really nice effort!
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

live mlutitrack in my studio on 7 tracks(12 songs)... ....ok,i will try with more drums and will add more reverb...thanks for reply...
do you mean:reverb over mix or individual tracks?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

They are grooving in Croatia! I could live with the music and the mix as-is. But Mike is way better than I so listen to him: it is a bit heavy on the left. I like the drums light, as they are. Great gig. Where are you playing next??
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

tutt im not a musician...i am small studio owner :-)
sorry for my English...

Last edited by Splico; 19th December 2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenor39 View Post
Sounds great! thumbsup Studio or live? The mix is left channel heavy, so I guess I'd like it panned out more evenly if it was multi-tracked. I'm wanting more of the kit, too. While I'm wishing, how about a bit of reverb? A really nice effort!
Ok..Your wish is my command :-)
..just like you sad..drums in centar,more drums,more reverb,evenly panning..
Attached Files

new mix.mp3 (6.73 MB, 197 views)

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

NO one? is it that bad?
please?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like the stereo image and balance better on the second clip... but I like the "feel" of the first... probably to do with the added reverb in the second. Know that I also like sitting close in a club (that is, less "room" wash, more intimate instruments) and prefer that vibe in the recorded jazz I listen to... mainly live dates recorded in the 50s and 60s, and studio dates that have that "live" vibe. That said, I could listen to an album of similar chill arrangements happily.

Also know that you'll likely get as many differing opinions on these questions as there are responders. The main issue is... do you like it? Does the band like it? How does it compare to reference recordings of similar combos you and the band hope to emulate? Without a target, correcting your aim can be difficult and frustrating.

Hope this helps.

HB
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splico View Post
The stereo spread is much better. I would move the kit back in "time" relative to the rest of the mic's. You can do that in your DAW. I would have picked a reverb that emulates a small jazz club to give, as Harry said, a more intimate feel. Also, the bass is too loud and I'd like more articulation heard. The choice of mic may prevent that, but try not compressing it so much.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweet! Pass the Slivowitz. heh
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
The mix is left channel heavy
Are your speakers reversed or are mine? I am getting right channel mostly.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Are your speakers reversed or are mine? I am getting right channel mostly.
Don't know, Daniel, but booj heard it as well, on the original mix.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

really like your recording. What i liked better about the first mix was the presence of the sax. The sax and guitar really fitted well together whereas the sax on the second mix is a little bit too much in the background in my opinion...
I also read your other thread where you elaborated on your choice of mics. Could you tell us a little bit more about what you used on this session? recorder, DAW, preamps, plugins, outboard gear...

Thanks!

Max
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

ok..DAW is emu paris but used only for recording.. 44.1 24 bit..
Reaper for mixing
mic preamps is Shadow Hills gamma8 -drums on discrete setings
guitar and sax on iron position

fet69 stereo mic ..over the drum
km84 snare
km84 guitar cab
km84 bas
beyer m130 sax ribon
re20 kick

softube fet + fab filter on sax(light only 1db gr)
elysia mpresor on+apq on bass very light
eysia+fab filter +lex plate on guitar
drums fab filter +ssl comp very light ( no movement)
rocket on master very light
sonox limiter for master no gr

i have some pictures from session..if you like..

Last edited by Splico; 23rd December 2010 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: forget something
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Yes pictures please!
The Shadow Hills gamma8 preamp looks like a great unit but it's a pretty expensive one as well...
Could you tell us a little bit more about the Emu Paris system as i've never heard of it and couldn't find much on it online.
Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_pa View Post
Yes pictures please!
The Shadow Hills gamma8 preamp looks like a great unit but it's a pretty expensive one as well...
Could you tell us a little bit more about the Emu Paris system as i've never heard of it and couldn't find much on it online.
Thanks
My Englis is to bad to explain in details..but,Emu Paris is old discontinued daw,his advatage is very nice 24 bit converters,software is unusable for editing,but for recording is more than ok...back in 2000 it was far bether than pro tools..You can find blue and black version ,it is modular,and have his own controler called emu C16 pro..
Attached Thumbnails
Can I say: This is master!-sany0569.jpg   Can I say: This is master!-sany0564.jpg   Can I say: This is master!-sany0559.jpg  
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, you can. It's not only master, it's... Sparta.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
Yes, you can. It's not only master, it's... Sparta.
Sorry,i realy dont understand what you mean..I told you - my English is Bad.

Last edited by Splico; 24th December 2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: forget something..
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

New reverb,new color... any progres?
Attached Files

Mixno3mp3.mp3 (6.77 MB, 126 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

A bit of advice: the mix is never done. You just give up on it. No matter how it is mixed it will never please everyone. When I am doing a mix it takes me weeks. I save off each stage so I can go back to where I may have "gone wrong" and start again from there. I made six mixes of a jump blues band, and then gave up. I am on mix three of a jazz house party. It takes me weeks before I get it right. And even then it is doubtful. When I am doing something that I have done a few times before it is different. I am going to be mixing a simple chorale recording. Single track. Just a teeny bit of reverb and I am done. I wish they were all that easy.

Your group is good. The tracks are good, the mix always sounds good. You will just have to find a place where you like the mix enough to stop.

Listening to the really great tracks mixed by great jazz recordists is a good guide. The gang here is excellent, too. But no matter how good your mix gets, there will always be someone who can think of a tweak for it.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
A bit of advice: the mix is never done. You just give up on it. No matter how it is mixed it will never please everyone. When I am doing a mix it takes me weeks. I save off each stage so I can go back to where I may have "gone wrong" and start again from there. I made six mixes of a jump blues band, and then gave up. I am on mix three of a jazz house party. It takes me weeks before I get it right. And even then it is doubtful. When I am doing something that I have done a few times before it is different. I am going to be mixing a simple chorale recording. Single track. Just a teeny bit of reverb and I am done. I wish they were all that easy.

Your group is good. The tracks are good, the mix always sounds good. You will just have to find a place where you like the mix enough to stop.

Listening to the really great tracks mixed by great jazz recordists is a good guide. The gang here is excellent, too. But no matter how good your mix gets, there will always be someone who can think of a tweak for it.

Really helps a lot! Thanks!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Be honest please....
add a little volume to the drums and it is Excellent,
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
New reverb,new color... any progres?
I liked the first mix better however just make the drums a little (just a little) louder.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

great wisdom

Quote:
A bit of advice: the mix is never done. You just give up on it. No matter how it is mixed it will never please everyone.(...)
This is a great advice!!!
I know we suffer many times from the Beethoven-syndrom of beeing too slow and never ending it...

Quote:
When I am doing a mix it takes me weeks. I save off each stage so I can go back to where I may have "gone wrong" and start again from there. I made six mixes of a jump blues band, and then gave up. I am on mix three of a jazz house party. It takes me weeks before I get it right. And even then it is doubtful.
Quote:
When I am doing something that I have done a few times before it is different. I am going to be mixing a simple chorale recording. Single track. Just a teeny bit of reverb and I am done. I wish they were all that easy.(...)
It's really good to see that we all have to deal with these similar issues!

The problem is that clients and deadlines can't understand that!... But many times that's what makes us commit to an [almost] final version.

all the best,
ave.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avebr View Post

<SNIP>

It's really good to see that we all have to deal with these similar issues!

<SNIP>

True. The difference between me and those who know what they are doing is they arrive at a better place quicker. I can hopefully someday arrive where the greats do. Not all the time; once in a while would be wonderful. When I do it will be because of what I have learned at the feet of the masters here.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search