The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Sonic Signature of Schoeps CMC6-MK2 and Sennheiser MKH8020 Condenser Microphones
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
My guess is that equalized for same response you would not see this difference in peak vs. RMS level.

/Peter
Hi Peter-
I have not found this to be true-or put another way, I try to compare microphones/files that are closely similar in response, and then one can EQ slightly for a better match if wanted. I do observe a spectral display when making such comparisons.

Often, level differences of 2-3 dB RMS (sometimes more) are common and can be measured between mic's/files with the same peak levels.

Matching timbre concerns more than compensating for peaks-usually there are other characteristics, too, such as frequency "troughs" and different extension in the lower and upper end extension-as is the case when comparing the 137/141's to something like the MK5.

The 141's or 137's are interesting because they have thin diaphragms, are fast, and they are medium size (not small) diaphragm mic's. They sound a little "in your face" and a little non-3D, yet a pair can still sound further away than some other similar mic's. Curious.

I started paying attention to this a long time ago when I observed huge differences in the way VU meters (remember those?) and LED peak displays responded to the slow large diaphragm mic's and the extremely small diaphragm mic's I was using at the time. The VU meters looked as if they would become unhinged, and the LED's seem to dance with the tiny diaphragm mic's.

The new Sennheisers are among the "audibly fast" microphones, IMO. The reproduction of a "silent" room is quite a dynamic affair with these mic's. These mic's do have broad subtle (or not) rises, but their speed and thus dynamic range seem independent of that. Their space is related to their speed, IMO.
Old 17th March 2012
Quote:
CMC6-MK2: refined/golden timbre, slight emphasis on tone over timbre - "Bosendorfer of mics"

MKH8020: bronzed timbre, slight emphasis on timbre over tone - "Steinway of mics"
So what would you consider the Bechstein of mics? And the August Forster of mics?
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

I realize I'm waking up an old thread; forgive me I wasn't around when this first came up.

I've been making recordings in my living room on a Bösendorfer 225 (7' 4" 92 keys). I've been using a similar setup to what Valentina Lisistsa uses in her self-produced recordings--a pair of ribbons in Blumlein.

But I recalled that Horowitz made recordings in his living room, searched, and found this thread. I think I'm going to try to recreate that setup and compare.

Noise is a big factor when recording in a living room, so close miking is necessary. I was intrigued by the statement that they added some ambience in post. I tend to add a little, and wasn't sure if I was just fooling myself. I was trying to find a younger pair of ears that is an experience piano recording connoisseur to get a second opinion.
Old 17th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillscience View Post
I've been making recordings in my living room on a Bösendorfer 225 (7' 4" 92 keys). I've been using a similar setup to what Valentina Lisistsa uses in her self-produced recordings--a pair of ribbons in Blumlein.
I'm curious how you found out that Valentina Lisistsa's recordings were made with a pair of ribbons in Blumlein? Any links you could point me towards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillscience View Post
But I recalled that Horowitz made recordings in his living room, searched, and found this thread. I think I'm going to try to recreate that setup and compare.
Did you ever end up trying that home recording set up? How did it work out for you?

Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTr1x2051 View Post
I love my Schoeps MK2s. Here's a little sample from a Shastakovich piano trio... recorded fairly close in a semi-dark sounding hall -- about 300 seats. Piano is a Hamburg Steinway D... could have used a close pair on the piano to equal the depth of instruments in the sound stage. The sample is not quite the raw tracks, but its nearly unsweetened. Just a touch of EQ and a touch of extra verb. Preamps were DAV. Enjoy --
excellent sound I would say!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search