The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Not acoustic, but on location.... DAW Software
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Not acoustic, but on location....

And now for something completely different. On November 17 I recorded the band Voodoo on the deck outside Waldo's Restaurant in Vero Beach, Florida. To the right of the deck was the restaurant (about 50' away). To the left also about 50' away was the Atlantic Ocean. The band is four guys, bass, drums, two guitars. On this song, and several through the evening, a third guitar player sat in. A good time was had by all. I'd like to hear comments since this is a bit "different" for this forum. Enjoy. Wooden Ships, a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young cover.

Richard King - Wooden Ships on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice recording, such that it akes me criticise the band for tuning issues rather than actual performance. Is this close mic'd and mixed? If it were a stereo pair I'd be mighty impressed; betting it is not. Can you tell more about how it was done?

I do a good amount of live multitracking bands and mixing in Pro Tools and would be happy to get them sounding this good. But I'd have to pass it by the band to see if their tuning disqualifies it from sharing with anyone... I have spent coutless hours with performers attempting to overdub bad notes in post, usualy not with much success. Id rather hear it slightly off than poorly replaced!

(If I am off by mentioning tuning, I hear it on both the guitars and the vocals.)

Lou
Old 16th December 2010
Wooo meet hooo!

I dig it-- gorgeous. Must've been an awesome night. Thanks for posting it!

And whoa! That "Almost Cut My Hair" is pretty damn groovy too!

Man, I am such a sucker for that whole era, when music meant something.....
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it (even with the tuning). All was recorded close mic'd. I used a total of 14 inputs, recording through a Presonus Firestudio and a Presonus Digimax FS. The vocal mics were split from the band mics. The others were my low budget collection that I have picked up over the years. The band plays the same club every Wed. evening, usually inside. Thankfully, they played outside that evening so I had no room problems. I had a great time and thouroughly enjoyed the project. They are trying to come up with some bucks to do a CD, but, being the starving musicians they are, I don't know what is going to happen. I had been telling them for a couple of months that they need to record and they finally went for it. The hard part was getting people there early. The drummer arrived an hour earlier than normal, giving me time to at least get everything close mic'd before everyone else got in the way. By the way, this was captured and mixed in Reaper (which I love).

Here are some more: Richard King's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
and a Youtube video I shot the same night (don't want to embed): YouTube - An Empty Glass I only shot the one song on video, but should have done a few more (even though it's a bit dark).
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Wooo meet hooo!

I dig it-- gorgeous. Must've been an awesome night. Thanks for posting it!

And whoa! That "Almost Cut My Hair" is pretty damn groovy too!

Man, I am such a sucker for that whole era, when music meant something.....
I guess you found the other songs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search