The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Folk/Jazz/Bluegrass band in a cabin, the results Condenser Microphones
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hi There,

Nice project, must have been a blast!

I have a quick question for you...in the first video I noticed how seemingly close the lead vocal is mic'd with the R84. I too like to use the AEA for vocals, but I'm never able to get it anywhere near that close to the singer while avoiding a boxy, tubby proximity effect. I usually end up anywhere from 12-24" from the mic.

What was your approach to rolling off the lows/low mids that I can only assume must have been substantial before EQ?

Thanks for sharing!

Z
Old 20th June 2011
Thanks Zakco! We started off the session with the mic a little further away... say 8" or so. But within the first hour we realized we had to come a lot closer. The singer is reasonable soft, and in a mix with mostly quiet DPA and Schoeps mics, we needed more gain without pumping the mic. I guess you could call it a case of right mic for the right singer, but there was very little that I had to do to it. Some Waves Neve Comp, a slight low cut and high boost was all it needed to sit in perfectly.
Old 23rd June 2011
I know some of you guys expressed interest so... the album is now available to purchase online! Laura Grill Band You can also find it on iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, etc...

Check it out... and if you're in the Boston area tonight, come say hey at the Lizard Lounge. LAURA GRILL BAND - CD RELEASE SHOW! w/ MR. SISTER and MIA FRIEDMAN I'll be multitracking and filming the entire show too. Hope to see some of you guys there!
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Magical music. Brilliant production. Thanks for sharing it !

I ordered a FLAC album
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Great vibe! I know some blasted the amount of room in the mix, but I liked the "being there" feel to it. In this case you had a video, but the challenge (as you found out) is making any performance sound exciting without the visual aspect. I always try to put the listener "front and/or center". Which is what I'm hearing! Nice job!
Old 4th July 2011
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle tromb View Post
<snip>
...By the way, I'm newly moved to Boston myself- what do you do there? Clearly you work with some cool bands! I'm a bassist, trombonist and engineer (and I used to work for Steve Remote!).
And, he's the best ELCO/EDAC tech I ever had...

I mean, he's the "Elco Kid!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search